Windows 10: Latest update to Windows Defender breaks all WiFi access.

Discus and support Latest update to Windows Defender breaks all WiFi access. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Yesterday when prompted by Windows Defender to download the latest update to Windows Defender definitions I did so. As soon as it finished... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Dano2021, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Dano2021 Win User

Latest update to Windows Defender breaks all WiFi access.

Yesterday when prompted by Windows Defender to download the latest update to Windows Defender definitions I did so. As soon as it finished installing, all WiFi access on my PC quit working. I tried to reconnect several times to no avail. Finally, I tried a different computer to test my WiFi out. It worked fine on the other system which was not yet updated. Today, I tried it again on my main system and it still didn't work so I turned off Windows Defender and tried again. It works fine when Defender is turned off.

Please fix this. Otherwise I will be forced to run without Defender.

I'm use WiFi Direct for a broadband connection. I also have a local private home WiFi network. Neither network is accessible when Defender is enabled now. It all worked fine before yesterday's update.

:)

Dano2021, Feb 18, 2021

2. Windows update breaks WIFI and LAN network connections

After applying the latest anniversary windows update my system loses all network access WIFI and LAN

The network connections page is empty! Totally stuck, luckily had a restore point which restores connectivity.

Observations

• WIFI card in device in device manager
    • Device working properly
    • Nothing in network center (should be)
    • Ipconfig /all shows my Wifi afapter but it says Media disonnected.
    • Ping always says Transmit failure
    • Device is Realtek and it had USB ports which still works
    • Restore to pre update fixes problem although Network still looks odd

Tried

• Restarting

Removing and reinstalling device
    • Disabling windows defender and firewall
    • NETSH ip reset etc
    • IPConfig /renew and IPConfig /release
    • Troubleshooting network problems - says could not fix try powering off etc.
    Other facts

• Win 8 box upgraded to win 10 and insider program
    • Had Malwarebytes installed, uninstall didnt help
    • Only way to fix is to restore back to before windows update

What the ****, its like being back in the old Win98 days! any suggestions?

Update: So had to resort to fully disabling Windows Update because it totally breaks the network on every auto update. Not ideal. I dont even know if it will let me re-install Windows 10 because I upgraded an old Windows 8 version using
    the Insider program.

I have 5 years of programs that I will lose either way so I guess I will just never be able to update W10.

tomdeloford, Feb 18, 2021
  3. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Feb 18, 2021
  4. Latest update to Windows Defender breaks all WiFi access.

Do windows updates slow down the computer?

Basically you might as well have the latest stable drivers on a Opticsl disk or usb drive and then updates thst dont bork the os, install updates, then dtivers and leave the system unplugged from ethernet/wifi then set parameters to prevent windows from updating automatically, save a list of settings you adjudted judt incase sn os update resets it to default etc.

W10 sounds more like a pita than it's worth to install...

eidairaman1, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

Latest update to Windows Defender breaks all WiFi access.

1. Latest update to Windows Defender breaks all WiFi access. - Similar Threads - Latest update Defender

2. Latest Windows update breaking search bar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest Windows update breaking search bar?: Recently installed the latest windows update 23H2 and since then apart from opening the start menu having a few seconds of delay, the search bar seems to be completely broken. Whenever I click on the search function, it just completely closes the start menu and nothing else...
  3. Latest updates break Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest updates break Windows 10: I've seen the notifications on various forums about the latest windows update breaking windows 10 and 11 for some users. Below is some information I've found and issues that I feel need to be addressed.1. The update still comes up as a mandatory update. While you can postpone...
  4. Latest updates break Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest updates break Windows 10: I've seen the notifications on various forums about the latest windows update breaking windows 10 and 11 for some users. Below is some information I've found and issues that I feel need to be addressed.1. The update still comes up as a mandatory update. While you can postpone...
  5. Latest updates break Windows 10

6. Latest Windows quality updates breaking all my Win11 PCs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest Windows quality updates breaking all my Win11 PCs.: Hi there So, the latest quality update for both my computers has been messing them up. First, I have a HP laptop running 22H2. On the latest version, the screen just keeps flickering until you plug in a monitor. If you plug in 2 monitors then the second monitor will also...
  7. Latest Windows quality updates breaking all my Win11 PCs.

Latest Windows quality updates breaking all my Win11 PCs.: Hi there So, the latest quality update for both my computers has been messing them up. First, I have a HP laptop running 22H2. On the latest version, the screen just keeps flickering until you plug in a monitor. If you plug in 2 monitors then the second monitor will also...
  8. .NET update breaks Windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .NET update breaks Windows defender: Hello,I just installed Windows 22H2 update. After the update Windows Defender worked fine until Windows installed .NET update KB5017026. The same thing happened in July when I installed Windows 11 for the first time. There was a .NET update that broke the Defender. Event log...
  9. .NET update breaks Windows defender

.NET update breaks Windows defender: Hello,I just installed Windows 22H2 update. After the update Windows Defender worked fine until Windows installed .NET update KB5017026. The same thing happened in July when I installed Windows 11 for the first time. There was a .NET update that broke the Defender. Event log...
  10. Latest windows update breaks software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest windows update breaks software: Latest Windoze update has broken some certificate or security systems. What is the patch for 1809 that replaces KB4073291 for 1709? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/latest-windows-update-breaks-software/2b46d7d7-caef-4cd7-86c8-535ea87af0f4