Windows 10: Latest Win10 update has blocked Firefox as default browser, locked Edg

Discus and support Latest Win10 update has blocked Firefox as default browser, locked Edg in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; The morning of May 25th 2019 Pacific Time Microsoft locked in MS Edge as a default browser in Windows 10 on my computer. My system shows 2019-05... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by dangnad2, May 25, 2019.

1. dangnad2 Win User

Latest Win10 update has blocked Firefox as default browser, locked Edg

The morning of May 25th 2019 Pacific Time Microsoft locked in MS Edge as a default browser in Windows 10 on my computer.

My system shows 2019-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4494441) successfully installed on 5/23/2019 (yet yesterday, 5/24 Firefox was still my default browser)

Please read the following methods to see how they did it. Bottom line: Firefox, Chrome or any other browser are not recognized by Windows 10.

Settings>default apps>web browser
    Microsoft Edge or "Look for app in Microsoft Store" (of course neither Firefox nor Chrome nor IE11 are listed there)

Settings>default apps>"choose default apps by protocol"
    HTTP and HTTPS are locked in by MS Edge, no way to change

Settings>default apps>"set defaults by app"
    Firefox nor Google Chrome nor IE11 are listed

Does anyone have a fix. What can we do?

:)

dangnad2, May 25, 2019

2. win10 1709 default apps: browser list not updated (no firefox, uninstalled browsers still there)

win10 enterprise 1709 16299.125

in "default apps", the web browser lists isn't updated with installed browsers anymore

• "vivaldi" is still listed even though it isn't installed (selecting it causes an error each time an URL is invoked, as vivaldi isnt' there anymore)
    • "firefoxc" isn't listed and can't be selected as default browser even if it's installed
    • the list regularly shows "chrome", "ie" and "edge"

I can only select Firefox as default browser choosing defaults by protocol http/https

obviously something got corrupted and the list got out of sync

any idea where in the registry or elsewhere that list is stored, so that I can manually fix it?

I managed to manually remove "vivaldi" by deleting all registry keys referring to vivaldi, but I couldn't restore firefox even manually adding the "firefoxHTML" values next to the "chromeHTML" values

I'm looking for a solution to manually restore the correct installed browser list, regardless of the default browser

RobertoFasiani, May 25, 2019
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Problems with Win10 and option to make Firefox default browser.....

Hi,

You may set your Firefox as default browser by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key+X, then choose Control Panel.
    • Under Adjust your computer's settings, click Default Programs.
    • Under Choose the programs that Windows users by default, click
      Set your default programs.
    • Choose Firefox in the left pane, then click Set this program as default.
    • Click OK.

Note: View by should be Small icons or Large icons.

Let us know how it goes.

Riel Alc, May 25, 2019
  4. Latest Win10 update has blocked Firefox as default browser, locked Edg

Firefox not showing as default browser?

HI Zane, sorry you’re having these troubles.

Here are the steps I would take:

Let’s run through some items to try to fix Edge.

Reset Edge. Click start - settings - apps - find Edge on the list. Click on it, and then advanced, terminate, then hit reset. Make sure it’s strong hold on anything is gone.

Now, uninstall Firefox, reboot, reinstall.

See if you can now assign Firefox as your default browser.

Good luck, and let me know!

- C

Charlie Klausen, May 25, 2019
Thema:

Latest Win10 update has blocked Firefox as default browser, locked Edg

1. Latest Win10 update has blocked Firefox as default browser, locked Edg - Similar Threads - Latest Win10 update

2. How do I change default browser from Edge to Firefox

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change default browser from Edge to Firefox: Split from this thread.How do I change default brower from Edge to Fire fox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-default-browser-from-edge-to/bb038e6b-b98f-4544-9bab-29f72433712d
  3. downloading firefox for default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    downloading firefox for default browser: I just got this laptop literally an hour ago. I want to install firefox as my default browser. it says I can't do it because I am in "s" mode and need to get an app from the Microsoft store. I can't find the app. I don't want internet explorer as my browser. can someone...
  4. Can't make FireFox default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't make FireFox default browser?: Every time I start FireFox I'm presented with a dialog asking if I want to make it my default browser. Yes I do!! I am brought to the screen which lets me choose a browser, but FireFox isn't among the choices. I choose to search for another browser and I'm brought to the...
  5. how do I make Firefox my default browser and not Edge?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do I make Firefox my default browser and not Edge?: No matter what I try, I cannot make any other browser my default except for Edge, and I do not want that, and now especially even more because it is denying me!...
  6. a problem with firefox been the default browser

a problem with firefox been the default browser: This is on my Dell laptop OS Win 10 Home 64bit. Every time I start Firefox, Firefox asks if "I want Firefox to be the default browser", see the 1st screen capture attachment bellow. I click yes and the default app window opens up. See the 2nd screen capture attachment bellow....
  7. how yo make firefox default browser win10

how yo make firefox default browser win10: just installed firefox, how to make default browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-yo-make-firefox-default-browser-win10/0cb352de-384f-4417-b2f0-8525e4a60ecc
  8. Firefox not showing as default browser?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Firefox not showing as default browser?: So....I have tried everything (trust me I really have) and I've searched through numerous forums. This issue is just appallingly bad, and it seems to me that it is a deliberate attempt to force me to use browsers that Microsoft wants me to use...rather than what I CHOOSE....
  9. Latest Win10 upgrade caused problems with Firefox, Chrome, and Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Latest Win10 upgrade caused problems with Firefox, Chrome, and Edge: Windows 10 Home 10.0.14393 Build 14393 was installed last week. Since then I have had problems with Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. Firefox will not display visuals on some web pages. Chrome is very slow and will not allow me to import from Firefox. Edge is suddenly very, very...
  10. Firefox is blocking Flash by default

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox is blocking Flash by default: After a number of issues and exploits have been discovered recently, Mozilla has taken a big step and is now blocking Flash in all of its Firefox browsers. Flash, the much maligned and hated software on which a surprisingly big part of the web still relies, has often been...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 firefox and chrome stop working suddenly