Windows 10: Latest Windows 10 Update removed ALL my programs.

Discus and support Latest Windows 10 Update removed ALL my programs. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had an update last night and afterwards I shut my PC off. I came back today and while Chrome was still installed, I used that for a few hours and was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Guitar Rockher, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Latest Windows 10 Update removed ALL my programs.

I had an update last night and afterwards I shut my PC off. I came back today and while Chrome was still installed, I used that for a few hours and was fine, until I noticed EVERY program I had installed on my PC was gone! What would cause this?! I've had Windows 10 installed on this PC for almost a year! The folders for the programs still exist, such as my music folders for iTunes, but all the programs themselves were completely removed! I'm quite upset about this and would appreciate any help with this issue.

:)

Guitar Rockher, Mar 25, 2017
  2. jotn Win User

All my programs removed after updating Windows 10 to Creators (1703) version!

Nope - no old file - no restore point. With creator installed - it took so much off my computer that I am still finding stuff gone and other things moved like cortana - found but in a totally different spot.

still cannot play video's -

So where do I get a good version of 10 so I can get this creator crap off my computer.

This is not good to not ask before changing an operating system on folks.

3. All my programs removed after updating Windows 10 to Creators (1703) version!

Hi Tom,

We understand the inconvenience that you've experienced at the moment. Basically when installing major updates, Windows may remove programs for compatibility reasons, especially if the programs are known to cause conflicts. This is done to ensure that the update
    will be installed successfully.

Getting all programs removed after a major update is a rare case. For us to isolate this issue, we suggest performing a system restore to restore your computer to an earlier point in time where your programs were still installed. Follow these steps:

• Open Settings and click Update & Security.
    • Click Recovery and then Open System Restore.
    • Hit Next and click Show more restore points.
    • Select a restore point where your programs were still installed, then select
      Scan for affected programs
      to see what programs will be affected if a system restore is performed.
    • If you agree with the possible changes on your system, click Close, then hit
      Next.
    • Save and close any programs that are opened, then hit Finish.
    • Click Yes to start the system restore process.

In case this won't help, then the last option we have is to reinstall the programs. To ensure that you install the newer version, it would be best if you download the programs from the developer's website.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 25, 2017
  4. kgray6789 Win User

Latest Windows 10 Update removed ALL my programs.

I think I have the same problem. Windows recently updated on my laptop and appeared to be completely successful. However, all of the software that I installed myself (Microsoft Office, photo editing, Google Chrome + all my bookmarks and passwords, etc.) is now all gone. All of my files (documents & pictures) appear to be intact, however. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows, which did not work. I couldn't do a system restore because I didn't have the box checked for that option (I do now). There are only four programs now showing on the computer in the "Uninstall or change a program" section. Have you had any luck with solving this problem? I have given up and started reinstalling the programs.

My main problem though, is reinstalling MS Office. I had a version paid for by my previous employer. I now have to find a version to use for my current job as a private contractor. If I could somehow find it on my computer, that would be great.

kgray6789, Mar 26, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I assume you are both saying that not only have the shortcuts to the installed programs vanished, but also that the program installation folders have disappeared too, and there is no record of them being installed e.g. in Control Panel, Programs and Features or the Settings equivalent.

I can't recall hearing of this happening 'randomly' before- it sounds somewhat like a PC refresh (new copy of Windows, no installed programs, personal data retained).

If the first para applies, there's nothing you can do to recover those - unless you already had created disk images (see below).

I can only advise the following procedure for the future, which we strongly and repeatedly recommend. The routine use of disk imaging - e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + boot medium + external disk/storage for image backups.

These disk images are compressed copies of what's on your disk/partition/Windows.

Even if your disk fails- simply buy a new one, restore your Windows system image and any other partitions, and your PC should be back up and running again.

You can also extract files and folders from the images.

dalchina, Mar 27, 2017
  6. kgray6789 Win User
    Thanks! Yes, the program shortcuts, installation folders, and any record of them in Control Panel vanished. I have seen a few posts on other tech forums with similar issues. I am not the most completely technologically savvy person around. All I know is that I went to bed one night with my computer fine and woke up the next morning with this. Windows looked completely different after I logged in (and it did the whole restart/wait while we install updates) and everything was gone. I did some Googling and found possible solutions - I restarted the computer, reinstalled Windows, looked in the "old" Windows file, etc. Nothing.

I am resigned to the fact that I have to reinstall all of the programs that I had on the computer previously. My main concern (MS Office) has luckily been resolved via a discount offer ($10) through my husband's job. The rest of the programs I can find on download.com. And of course, I am doing disk imaging!

kgray6789, Mar 27, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Out of curiosity, what is your Windows build now, and do you have any idea what it was before?

(Windows key + R, winver)

And what does your Windows update history show? (Can you post a screenshot?)
    - you're lucky it sounds a relatively minor inconvenience.

dalchina, Mar 28, 2017
  8. kgray6789 Win User

Latest Windows 10 Update removed ALL my programs. [​IMG]

When I do "Windows key + R", I get the following information:
    Windows 10
    Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.0)

I am not sure what I had prior to this.

kgray6789, Mar 29, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  10. I kept my files and personal information, I just lost almost all my programs, except for Chrome and Kaspersky. It doesn't feel any different until I need a program that isn't there anymore.

Guitar Rockher, Apr 3, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
Thema:

1. Latest Windows 10 Update removed ALL my programs. - Similar Threads - Latest Update removed

2. Latest Windows Update changed/erased all recent programs/activity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest Windows Update changed/erased all recent programs/activity: I am so pissed & upset right now!! I had just transferred all my files from old computer, then ran update and now everything is gone. /cry I hadn't done a restore, so I think it may all be gone for good. I searched this issue & found an article about this from 2011. It's been...
  3. Latest Windows Update changed/erased all recent programs/activity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest Windows Update changed/erased all recent programs/activity: I am so pissed & upset right now!! I had just transferred all my files from old computer, then ran update and now everything is gone. /cry I hadn't done a restore, so I think it may all be gone for good. I searched this issue & found an article about this from 2011. It's been...
  4. Windows 10 Update removed all my programs!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update removed all my programs!: What's going on here? Why has windows 10 removed all my programs during an update?Last night, i started an update on my laptop but when I turned it on for work today all my programs were gone. This is extremely disappointing as instead of doing any work, I will now be trying...
  5. Windows 10 Update removed all my programs!

Windows 10 Update removed all my programs!: What's going on here? Why has windows 10 removed all my programs during an update?Last night, i started an update on my laptop but when I turned it on for work today all my programs were gone. This is extremely disappointing as instead of doing any work, I will now be trying...
  6. Windows 10 Update removed all my programs!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Remove program's 1px outline border in latest update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove program's 1px outline border in latest update?: With shadows enabled, the default border outlines programs have are useless and only serve to make them look worse. "Removing" the border by unticking accent color for "Title bars and window borders" does not remove the borders of unfocused programs and any legacy windows...
  8. Latest update removal?

Latest update removal?: I'm trying to find a way to get rid of the 12th oct update cause getting used to it just endlessly irks me. Little things like not automatically having the search bar prioritised when I open a new tab of chrome, to the way the ui now looks when you right click an icon in the...
  9. Windows 10 update removed programs

Windows 10 update removed programs: Windows 10 update removed a lot of my programs. All restore points have been removed. How do I get my programs back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-removed-programs/d7f2e371-9935-4f20-9659-5b6c1bcbde03
  10. Windows 10 removed ALL my programs (x86)

Windows 10 removed ALL my programs (x86): Hello everyone, I hope this is the right subtopic. I let Windows 10 download and install overnight. Everything fine and well. I log in, and see that some programs have been deleted from my taskbar, I thought Windows 10 simply removed some shortcuts for whatever...