Windows 10: Latest Windows changes non Windows HDD's to GPT

Discus and support Latest Windows changes non Windows HDD's to GPT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I guess the reason it is doing it is as the drives are over 2.2 TB, for which Windows can only see 2.2 max if an mbr formatted drive, so automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by slicendice, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Latest Windows changes non Windows HDD's to GPT

I agree. Since we are talking about VMs here, the host must understand the HDD before it can work with it.

Are you running Hyper-V?

slicendice, Apr 4, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

I'm running a Linux VM with 2 physical HDD's ( 2 X 3 TB ) formatted in XFS.

Windows can't seem to leave these HDD's alone and they are all marked now as GPT.

This means every time I start the VM I have to re-create my RAID 0 array (fortunately no re-format so no data loss) which consists of these 2 HDD's.

This has only happened recently so I assume some Windows update must have caused this.

Surely if it's a foreign File System Windows should leave them well alone !!!

Annoying to have to do this at each power on of the VM.

Running on latest (non 1803) build with all current updates applied.

I know it's something Windows has done -- I used to get the message "Uninitialised Disks" if I went into control panel -->administrative tools--computer management--Disk Management which was fine

now I simply get Healthy Primary partition. NOT CORRECT !!!!!

The other HDD is fine (external 2TB also formatted XFS-- should be Unallocated not initialized --that's correct).

Latest Windows changes non Windows HDD's to GPT [​IMG]

Please Windows don't touch HDD's that you aren't meant to.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 28, 2018
  3. TrueRock2 Win User
    How to delete the GUID Partition Table (GPT) on a HDD

I have a Windows 7 PC that has a virus (probably multiple viruses). I'm going to rebuild the PC with Windows 10.

I have removed the HDD from the Windows 7 PC and have it externally attached to a different Windows 10 PC via eSATA.

I have deleted all of the partitions on the external HDD - but, also - I would like to delete the GPT from the HDD also.

How do I delete the GPT from an HDD?

I have googled some references on the internet that suggest using various freeware utilities (e.g. Super Fdisk).

Does Windows 10 have a command that deletes a GPT - perhaps somewhere in the DISKPART command?

I'm thinking if I use DISKPART to convert the GPT to MBR and then convert it back to GPT - I will have effectively deleted the GPT.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

TrueRock2, Apr 28, 2018
  4. Latest Windows changes non Windows HDD's to GPT

About MBR and GPT

If I want to install Windows 10, I want to know about format my thumb drive to MBR or GPT, but my laptop is Acer Aspire E5-571G with UEFI system and HDD are GPT partition style, so I need to format my thumb drive to GPT for copying windows installation
    and install it to HDD with GPT? (Note: I have Rufus for create a bootable USB drive)

BillyRazOr, Apr 28, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    I guess the reason it is doing it is as the drives are over 2.2 TB, for which Windows can only see 2.2 max if an mbr formatted drive, so automatically chooses gpt.

cereberus, Apr 28, 2018
Thema:

Latest Windows changes non Windows HDD's to GPT

1. Latest Windows changes non Windows HDD's to GPT - Similar Threads - Latest changes non

2. Changes to Windows in latest updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changes to Windows in latest updates: The update I got on January 9, 2024 and January 10, 2024 made some changes to my system. First, it eliminated the Welcome Screen that I was using of random pictures that allowed me to like or dislike them and replaced it with the generic Windows screen, and it disabled Google...
  3. Changes to Windows in latest updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changes to Windows in latest updates: The update I got on January 9, 2024 and January 10, 2024 made some changes to my system. First, it eliminated the Welcome Screen that I was using of random pictures that allowed me to like or dislike them and replaced it with the generic Windows screen, and it disabled Google...
  4. GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change.: Windows ver. 10 20H2 19042.685 I have a Sabrent external enclosure I have been using for years as a storage device. It contains a WD Red 4TB drive. It was formatted in GPT because of the MBR's 2 TB limit. When I place the drive into a different branded external enclosure, it...
  5. Can't reinstall windows on laptop due to non GPT drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't reinstall windows on laptop due to non GPT drive: Hey guys so I'm not very experienced in much on computers but I've reinstalled windows a few times. My problem is that I have created a flash USB with media creation tool and I booted into setup, my laptop only has 1 drive with everything on and when I was selecting...
  6. 2TB HDD Data Only Non-Boot - Format to MBR or GPT??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2TB HDD Data Only Non-Boot - Format to MBR or GPT??: Am using / installing a new 2TB HDD drive. Quick Info: - 2TB capacity WD - Will be a Data only drive, not OS or Boot Drive - Will most likely only have one or two partitions at most on the new drive - ASUS i5 Motherboard supports HDD's > 2TB and worked well with 3TB...
  7. 2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??

2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??: I just got a new 2TB HHD and i want to know which partition style i need to use MBR or GPT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2tb-hdd-format-to-mbr-or-gpt/672f2d14-e381-4682-9f1b-9b89f016c52f
  8. SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?

SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?: Hello, Recently I've purchased a Kingston 240GB SSD. I initialized the SSD in GPT, and installed Windows 10. But, when I looked my 2TB HDD partitions, they are in MBR format. Will there have any stability issues when the SSD is in GPT and HDD in MBR? Do I need to change my...
  9. I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?: I plugged my new, empty Western Digital 4TB external drive into my old PC, and it is a MBR HDD. The PC is too old to have UEFI. I want the drive to be as reliable as possible and to work on my new (UEFI) PC as well. Should I convert it to GPT now? Both PCs are on Windows...
  10. Upgraded PC, GPT and Original Legacy HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgraded PC, GPT and Original Legacy HDD: I've just upgraded my PC to Skylake platform and found out win 10 needed to install on the HDD with GPT. now, my secondary HDD's from my older storage are still to be connected. Is it safe to just plug them in and they'll be ok. What i'm thinking is they will be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mbr2gbt.exe /convert