Windows 10: Latest Windows update 20H2 completely broke my WindowsApp folder

Discus and support Latest Windows update 20H2 completely broke my WindowsApp folder in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Many apps no longer run after trying to update to the latest release. Just spews out the usual "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by BatmansParents, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Latest Windows update 20H2 completely broke my WindowsApp folder

Many apps no longer run after trying to update to the latest release. Just spews out the usual "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file" error message when launching them. This is mostly affecting my installed games, maybe around half of them are now dead weight on my hard drive. In terms of troubleshooting, I've tried re-installing the affected apps, running the built-in Windows Store troubleshooter, running wsreset.exe, re-installing and re-registering all apps through PowerShell, and even going as far as completely rolling back the update that has caused me so much grief. Nothing worked.

I also tried creating a second user account and installing the games there to see if my user became corrupted through good ol' fashioned Trusted Windows Updates, but doing so procced a completely different error; Upon trying to install, I get error code 0x80070005, supposedly a permission issue. So, I give up. What do I do to fix this?

:)

BatmansParents, Sep 26, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Latest Windows update 20H2 completely broke my WindowsApp folder :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 26, 2020
  3. WINDOWSAPPS FILE

Hi,

For us to provide you an accurate resolution regarding your WindowsApps folder issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • Send us a screenshot of your WindowsApps and WindowsAppsOld folders so that we can double check the issue.
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve this?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Sep 26, 2020
  4. S.cloris Win User

Latest Windows update 20H2 completely broke my WindowsApp folder

WindowsApps folder says permissions are corrupted and need to be deleted, is this normal or critical?

According to your description, I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Navigate to the location C:\Program Files.
    2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder, and select Properties.
    3. Turn to Security tab and click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Change and then type Users in Enter the object name to select area.
    5. Click on OK, then click Apply > OK. You can also add the TrustedInstaller to the users list and check if it takes effect.

However, you might be still not able to access the files. The workaround is to go inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, and repeat the same way with the Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

S.cloris, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Latest Windows update 20H2 completely broke my WindowsApp folder

1. Latest Windows update 20H2 completely broke my WindowsApp folder - Similar Threads - Latest update 20H2

2. Latest windows update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest windows update broke my computer: I tried installing an update 10 minutes ago, but when it restarted the taskbar was completely deformed. Uninstalling the update didn't help, it's stuck like that. I need help trying to reverse it....
  3. Latest windows update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Latest windows update broke my computer: I tried installing an update 10 minutes ago, but when it restarted the taskbar was completely deformed. Uninstalling the update didn't help, it's stuck like that. I need help trying to reverse it....
  4. The latest Windows update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The latest Windows update broke my computer: I can't even boot back to the PC now shows a RAM light error on the motherboard and it all started after "update and shutdown". Great job submitted by /u/Select_Plane_1073 [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows Update 20H2 Broke my System

Windows Update 20H2 Broke my System: I recently updated my system to 20H2 (Fresh Install going through updates) and once it applied the update, I only get a BSOD upon startup. I decided to do another fresh reinstall of Windows and its the same thing when it updates. . Any way to fix this issue? The error code is...
  6. Latest update broke my Wifi

Latest update broke my Wifi: Have tried a dozen and one different troubleshooting methods floating around and it will not connect to my network. It's just the disconnected globe symbol in the tray, cannot toggle Wifi on, doing it manually within the network settings doesn't do anything, messing with...
  7. Latest update broke my sound?

Latest update broke my sound?: Ever since the 2/14/2020 update my laptop (Huawei Matebook D) doesn't have sound. I've tried nearly everything I can to fix it to no avail. The Realtek HD Audio Driver simply doesn't even show up in Device Manager so I can't do anything with that. DriverEasy says my Realtek...
  8. Latest Windows Update broke my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Windows Update broke my laptop: The latest windows update (1903 i believe) caused such a mess on my PC that I was forced to reimage the laptop yet again. 1. I was unable to access the settings panel because it kept crashing. Tried multiple online suggestions on resetting the settings app to no avail. 2....
  9. Latest update broke my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest update broke my laptop: Hi I was forced to install the latest windows update on my Lenovo Yoga 920 and now I have BSOD. I have tried every single option that windows gives in an effort to fix it, including a full reset of windows which immediately fails every time. Now I have no way to study for...
  10. Latest update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest update broke my computer: Within the last week or so I installed the latest Windows updates to my laptop. As I was finishing up my usage of the laptop I chose the "Install updates and shut down" option on my computer and let it do it's thing. A few days later I started it up and it indicated it was...