Windows 10: Latest windows update causes a black screen when I get to my desktop

Discus and support Latest windows update causes a black screen when I get to my desktop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Looks like the new update is breaking my windows explorer, stays black with the only option to open task manager or ctrl+alt+delete. This is twice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RobertRamsay1, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Latest windows update causes a black screen when I get to my desktop

Looks like the new update is breaking my windows explorer, stays black with the only option to open task manager or ctrl+alt+delete.

This is twice I've had to use shift+restart to uninstall this update.

Is this a common issues and is there a fix for the new update?

:)

RobertRamsay1, Mar 14, 2019

2. Black screen after installing latest KB3105210 update

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you with the installation of the update.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which was the latest update being installed?
    • Are you able to access desktop/ log-in screen?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message along with black screen?
    • Have you tried to boot the computer in to safe mode and check if the issue persists?

If black screen error occurs before sign-in or after sign-in, I suggest you to refer to the below link and check if it helps:

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information to assist you better.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Mar 14, 2019
  4. Latest windows update causes a black screen when I get to my desktop

Black Screen after update

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community, we understand your concern and we will try pour best to help you resolve the issue.

I would suggest that you perform the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to access the desktop.

Method 1:

Step 1: Perform Power Drain and check if you are able to access your desktop screen.

• Unplug the charger and remove the battery of your laptop, if using a desktop remove the power cord.
    • Press and hold the Power button for 30sec.
    • Plug the charger/power cord and restart system.

Step 2: If you can access the desktop check if your system is functioning as normal. Also check which update got installed in your system, by opening Control Panel and then opening Programs and Features.

Method 2: Inaccessible Desktop.

If you are unable to access the desktop screen and you are stuck on the
    Black Screen,
    then I would suggest that you refer to the article
    Troubleshoot black screen problems provided in the link below and check if you are able to resolve the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

Latest windows update causes a black screen when I get to my desktop

1. Latest windows update causes a black screen when I get to my desktop - Similar Threads - Latest update causes

2. Latest update of windows cause blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest update of windows cause blue screen: Hello ! On 30th of March I updated my windows 11 and now I’m receiving just blue screen of death!! I’ve tried with uninstalling the last update, diagnosing the system, prompt command and I can’t fixed it !! I also used safe mode to recovery the system but it didn’t help. The...
  3. Latest update of windows cause blue screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest update of windows cause blue screen: Hello ! On 30th of March I updated my windows 11 and now I’m receiving just blue screen of death!! I’ve tried with uninstalling the last update, diagnosing the system, prompt command and I can’t fixed it !! I also used safe mode to recovery the system but it didn’t help. The...
  4. Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop: Good evening,Last night, my computer got an update and when it finished, I realized that all I had on my desktop was gone. Firefox was not pinned on my taskbar like before. When I opened Firefox, all my bookmarks 100' of them were gone!For some reason, Teams opened during the...
  5. Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop: Good evening,Last night, my computer got an update and when it finished, I realized that all I had on my desktop was gone. Firefox was not pinned on my taskbar like before. When I opened Firefox, all my bookmarks 100' of them were gone!For some reason, Teams opened during the...
  6. Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Microsoft latest cumulative update caused black screen

Microsoft latest cumulative update caused black screen: Wednesday 2nd April downloaded KB 4535996 installed and when told do not switch off your PC reached 100% it went into a black screen from blue with white dotted circle whilst loading I have tried everything to return to normal. Contacted Microsoft technician told to contact...
  8. Latest Windows Update Causes Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest Windows Update Causes Black Screen: Hello, i just got the popup for the latest windows windows update and went ahead to update it. I let it run and update, although when i came back, i was greeted by a grey, blank screen. I assumed it was part of the update procedure, but after 30 mintues, I resorted to...
  9. Windows 10 update causes black screen in Microsoft Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update causes black screen in Microsoft Remote Desktop: Windows 10 May 2019 Update has a new issue with a small number of devices, specifically old monitors with outdated graphics drivers. We have spotted a number of posts on Microsoft’s own community forum and Feedback Hub made by users who have documented a black screen issue...
  10. After the latest Win10 update, sometimes I get a black screen

After the latest Win10 update, sometimes I get a black screen: I get a black screen with a simple text box asking for a password. But none of the passwords I enter work. However, when I reboot, the normal login screen shows up. Why does this happen?...