Windows 10: Latest Windows update causing GPU spiking?

Discus and support Latest Windows update causing GPU spiking? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently updated my windows to the newest update earlier this week 2/9 - 2/15 and it has caused some major issues. The day I updated, my Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ashton B_421, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Latest Windows update causing GPU spiking?

I recently updated my windows to the newest update earlier this week 2/9 - 2/15 and it has caused some major issues.

The day I updated, my Windows 10 crashed. It would not let me revert to a previous update or rollback the update, so I had to do a clean install of windows.

After doing a clean install of windows, about every 10-15 minutes, my system will become unresponsive and then my monitors will go black and then come back after 20 seconds or so. If I look at the GPU under the task manager, I can see that every time this happens, my GPU 3D usage jumps up to 100% for the duration of the event. All of my other components usage is fine during this instance, it is just the GPU.

I have the most recent drivers for my GPU as I just did a fresh install of Windows and drivers.

My computer specs, in case that helps:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600x no overclock other than the default "turbo"
    16 GB of 2400 MHz RAM
    RX 570 4GB no overclock other than default "boost"
    250 GB Crucial SSD
    1 TB Samsung 860 EVO

:)

Ashton B_421, Feb 16, 2020

2. StartMenuExperienceHost.exe causing GPU Usage Spike

Okay so as the title says I have a problem. It would be a completely unnoticeable issue had I not been a gamer. The problem is my GPU is getting a usage spike and through Process Explorer I have tracked the spike down to StartMenuExperienceHost.exe. When
    my GPU spikes this is the program that popus up for GPU usage.

The spike is tiny and lasts about a second in length. It takes my framerate of 75 and drops it to 35-40 then it bounces back to normal.

I've spent the past week trying to fix the issue. I've messed with my grapics card settings, Windows settings, in game settings, I've tried under and overclocking my GPU. I've tried everything. Nothing has helped the issue. I even thought I'd have to RMA
    my card but I don't think it's the card having the issue. I'm fairly certain that if I could kill the start menu until I open it up again that the problem would be solved.

My rig:

Asrock Phantom Gaming X RX 570 8gb

G.Skill Trident RGB 16GB DDR4 3600

MSI B450 Gaming Plus Motherboard

Corsair CX550 PSU

Patroit Scorch M.2 128gb SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200 rpm HDD

SangrinnLeeroy-Jenkins, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Lag Spikes caused by CPU usage drops and GPU usage spikes after Windows 10 April update

Since the April 10th update for Windows 10, my laptop has been suffering from lag spikes that occur during simple tasks such as browsing the internet.

When looking at the task manager during these spikes, I can see that the CPU usage drops to around 10% while the GPU usage increases to close to 100%. I looked at what programs were using large portions of the GPU which turned out to be the 'Desktop window
    manager' and the 'Client server runtime process'.

I've seen that other people have had a similar problem with the recent update, but not much in the way of solutions as of yet. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Jason

JasonWilcock, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Latest Windows update causing GPU spiking?

CPU/GPU spikes while gaming

Hello,

I'm having issues playing games now due to this CPU/GPU max usage spiking while playing and it causes a lag spike.. it happens like every few seconds and it's driving me up the wall.. really not for sure where else to go with this issue.. it happens in nearly every game i play as well.

GPU: GTX 970 4gb
    CPU: i7 4770k 3.50GHz
    Storage: Samsung EVO 850 250gb for OS and 500gb for games
    RAM:16gb
    PSU:1000w

solutions I've tried..
    unparking cpu, updating to latest gpu drivers, latest realtek sound and network drivers for my motherboard, latest chipset, cleaning out my pc, checking my temps.. it never goes above 70c while gaming.. both my gpu and cpu. even a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 bit, I've even done a clean boot and the issue is still occuring.. really at a stand still. I'm going to upload the screenshots of the in-game graph that is showing the spikes.

BrandonR188, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Latest Windows update causing GPU spiking?

1. Latest Windows update causing GPU spiking? - Similar Threads - Latest update causing

2. GPU usage spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU usage spikes: So what happens is that I get heavy GPU usage spikes every time I launch any sort of game. I noticed that GPU usage spikes start only after 5 minutes of gameplay, as well as that stuttering happens when GPU usage reaches higher %...
  3. GPU usage spikes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPU usage spikes: So what happens is that I get heavy GPU usage spikes every time I launch any sort of game. I noticed that GPU usage spikes start only after 5 minutes of gameplay, as well as that stuttering happens when GPU usage reaches higher %...
  4. Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike: Recently after performing a windows update on my laptop "Custom" Origin PC the DWM GPU usage spiked to near 100% all the time. Did some research and checked for malware and those other things but nothing worked. I then accidentally unplugged my second monitor ACER SB220Q and...
  5. Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike: Recently after performing a windows update on my laptop "Custom" Origin PC the DWM GPU usage spiked to near 100% all the time. Did some research and checked for malware and those other things but nothing worked. I then accidentally unplugged my second monitor ACER SB220Q and...
  6. Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Latest Windows Updates Causing Problems!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Latest Windows Updates Causing Problems!: I have tried loading the latest Windows updates (see attached) several times and have experienced problems each time. I have backed all of them out at the present time. My laptop seems to run much slower and the fingerprint scanner does not work among other things after these...
  8. GPU spike while on AC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GPU spike while on AC: Hello everyone, from the past few months I have been facing this problem on my Dell Laptop having Intel UHD 620 GPU. Whenever I have my laptop plugged into AC and I perform any GPU intensive task like gaming or playing video using madVR, the GPU spikes up to 100% for complete...
  9. StartMenuExperienceHost.exe causing GPU Usage Spike

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    StartMenuExperienceHost.exe causing GPU Usage Spike: Okay so as the title says I have a problem. It would be a completely unnoticeable issue had I not been a gamer. The problem is my GPU is getting a usage spike and through Process Explorer I have tracked the spike down to StartMenuExperienceHost.exe. When my GPU spikes this is...
  10. Latest Window Update causing problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Window Update causing problems: I accepted a recommended Windows 10 update a few weeks ago and am having at least two problems. I tried clicking on a link in some email, which was doing OK before the latest update of Windows 10. When I click on the link, I get a message telling me that the "operation has...