Windows 10: Latest windows update deleted everything except program files

Discus and support Latest windows update deleted everything except program files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am absolutely livid! I wasm't even aware it was trying to push an update through, but given that the usual symptoms started to crop up (every time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ExperimentAlpha, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Latest windows update deleted everything except program files

I am absolutely livid! I wasm't even aware it was trying to push an update through, but given that the usual symptoms started to crop up (every time Windows wants to force an update on my old-ass laptop, things stop working - sound, programs, etc. This time the wifi would not recognize that my network has internet.) I should have expected it. I shut my computer off amd figured hey, maybe I should just go to bed. So, I did. Wake up, turn her on, and it's not letting me sign into my computer. Weird, so I just restart again.

I get to desktop and everything is default settings. Default background, default toolbar. Annoying to be sure, but that is fixable. I should have known when my desktop folders were missing, but I went to look for my old background and what do you know - all of my files are gone. All of my documents, all of my pictures, all of everything that isn't in Program Files is either invisible to me or just deleted.

I'm trying a system restore to two days ago. Hopefully that fixes it. This is absolutely unacceptable and I wish there was some way to just opt out of the goddamn updates that break my computer more and more, bit by bit, each time they try to push through. I feel trapped because I do too much gaming to use linux and apple is a shitter. I just hope I get my documents back....

submitted by /u/ExperimentAlpha
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ExperimentAlpha, Oct 29, 2020
  2. KBD
    KBD Win User

Plz recomend program to recover deleted files.

Let me try what you guys suggested, i am willing to pay for the program to get the files back.

3. Files Deleted During Failed Windows Update

If you saved your video projects, they should be on the drive (barring any file system corruption). You can give Recuva a try:

Accidentally deleted an important file? Lost something important when your computer crashed? No problem! Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player. And it's free!​
    Download the portable version on another PC, unpack it on a flash drive, pop the drive in the trouble machine, and run it off the flash drive. You want to make as few changes to the hard drive as possible before running the recovery program.

Static~Charge, Oct 29, 2020
  4. keakar Win User

Latest windows update deleted everything except program files

how to get rid of program from windows xp?

check your documents files and delete anything there for it. (save folders for games often go there)

open up "c'drive/programs" and manually delete the game folder there, it may be under game company name.

now go add/remove programs and it should say something about files not found and do you want to delete it from list. lastly use a reg cleaner to clean out any windows prefetch files for game.

the prefetch files are often where they put in dated dissable files to stop demos from working forever

keakar, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

Latest windows update deleted everything except program files

1. Latest windows update deleted everything except program files - Similar Threads - Latest update deleted

2. Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop: Good evening,Last night, my computer got an update and when it finished, I realized that all I had on my desktop was gone. Firefox was not pinned on my taskbar like before. When I opened Firefox, all my bookmarks 100' of them were gone!For some reason, Teams opened during the...
  3. Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop: Good evening,Last night, my computer got an update and when it finished, I realized that all I had on my desktop was gone. Firefox was not pinned on my taskbar like before. When I opened Firefox, all my bookmarks 100' of them were gone!For some reason, Teams opened during the...
  4. Latest windows 10 update caused to delete everything on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. updates deletes everything

updates deletes everything: Hi I bought my laptop a year ago and every time I install updates I lose EVERYTHING in my DOCUMENTS and DOWNLOADS folders. This is starting to wreck my head! Can you explain to me how to STOP the stupid updates apart from ignoring the message that says 'windows needs to...
  6. Latest update deleted files & photos?!

Latest update deleted files & photos?!: My Laptop recently installed an update overnight & after it had restarted I have noticed a lot of my files, in particular photos are missing. Why has this happened and is there a way I can get them back?...
  7. Windows latest update deleted my files on the desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows latest update deleted my files on the desktop: I had videos and photos on the desktop for a long time and they disappeared after the update in May. I remember some error message popping up that I was too much in a hurry to fully pay attention to . I believe it was something about signing into my microsoft account even...
  8. Windows update deletes everything

Windows update deletes everything: Windows 10 is forcing an update every few days and each update results in the deletion of all my documents, pics, settings etc. Extremely aggravating. How can i resolve this? I have a software product to recover docs but what I really need is to stop the update process...
  9. Latest Update - EVERYTHING GONE

Latest Update - EVERYTHING GONE: I installed the latest update for Windows 10 that came out on October 6th. I just clicked "install" and let it run. It sounded like a mandatory update so I did it. I've come back to my computer after the updates and everything is messed up. All the files I had on my desktop...
  10. Powershell command for deleting everything EXCEPT for...

in Windows 10 Support
    Powershell command for deleting everything EXCEPT for...: Hey guys, just wondered if anyone could help me with this. So basically, I have a directory with a crap ton of subdirectories, each with a crap ton of files in them. The files all have widely varying names (they're all ZIP files so they have the same extension), and I only...