Windows 10: Launch app from USB drive

Discus and support Launch app from USB drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just gotten Windows 10 Surface Pro(2017) which comes with 512GB SSD drive. I want to create a data partition out of this SSD. I know the W10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by churin, Sep 17, 2017.

1. churin Win User

Launch app from USB drive

I have just gotten Windows 10 Surface Pro(2017) which comes with 512GB SSD drive. I want to create a data partition out of this SSD. I know the W10 utility(disk management) appears to allow this, but I want to use a utility I have used for long time.
    My problem is that the bootable USB memory stick to launch the disk utility does not work. It boots on my W10 desktop machine. The memory stick is formatted in FAT32 so that it is supposed to boot on UFEI system.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

:)

churin, Sep 17, 2017

2. Is IT possible to use a MINI USB THUMB DRIVE as a cellphone memory card SINCE THE NOKIA LUMIA 920 OR 1020 DOES NOT SUPPORT MICRO SD CARD SLOT?

Since the app called Files (MS) has launched, can micro USB flash drives be used with phones such as the 920?

JackLarson, Sep 17, 2017
  3. TTKZXT Win User
    Corrupted and unreadable file but USB flash drive is okay

I installed an application from a usb flash drive. The laptop was running on its own battery (not connected to AC) and at the end of the installation, i accidentally pulled out the usb without doing the safe eject. Right after this, after restarting the
    comp, the application could not be launched. Error msg is the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. To resolve this problem, i uninstalled the app and deleted the app folder from my program files (x86) as well. However, subsequent installation failed.
    To check whether the usb flash drive is corrupted, i installed it on another computer. There is no prob with the second computer. I could launch and use the app. Also, i did a check disk on the application itself and the results are clear. Hence it appears
    that the usb drive is ok. For the first computer itself, i did a check disk and anti-virus scan and nothing is detected. Would be grateful for advice on how to resolve this problem. Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

TTKZXT, Sep 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Turn off secure boot.

Personally, I would just install MiniTool Partition Wizard and use it to do it, though.

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2017
  5. churin Win User
    Thanks for your reply.
    I think I disabled the security boot since I had to enter the recovery key to reboot. But the WinPE USB stick to run the utility still did not boot.

I got free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard and installed. But the partition resize is disabled and could not resize the system drive(C). I wonder how resizing C: drive can be done using this utility.

churin, Sep 17, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    In Minitool Partition Wizard, right click the C: drive and choose Move/Resize. Put your pointer on the far right of the drive progress bar and drag it to the left to Shrink the C: drive to what you want. You now will have a section of the drive which is Unallocated Space. Right click this and choose Create. Create the partition with this space and format it. Be sure to choose Apply after each action.
    Also be sure to backup your C: drive or clone it, just in case something goes wrong.
    The same can be done in Disk Management, if you Shrink the C: drive and then Create a New Simple Volume.

spunk, Sep 17, 2017
  7. churin Win User
    Thanks Spunk for your detailed suggestion.
    My problem is that I select the system partition and pull down the Partition menu but the Move/Resize is greyed and non-responsive. I wonder what I am doing wrong.
    Further suggestion is appreciated.

churin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Launch app from USB drive - Similar Threads - Launch app USB

2. USB not launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not launching: Hi,When I plug in my usb into the ports , it recognizes what it is when I view devices, but it's not launching the opening app.Usually on any other computer the app launches and I'm able to view the contents on the usb drive. Can you provide support or next steps?Thanks!...
  3. USB not launching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not launching: Hi,When I plug in my usb into the ports , it recognizes what it is when I view devices, but it's not launching the opening app.Usually on any other computer the app launches and I'm able to view the contents on the usb drive. Can you provide support or next steps?Thanks!...
  4. Launching applications from a NAS drive.

Launching applications from a NAS drive.: After archiving program folders to an external hard drive through my network accessible storage network, I would like to launch those applications from the external nas drive. I get error code: 5. Is there a work around?I've shut off UDEP. I've changed application security to...
  5. Cant open exe apps from usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant open exe apps from usb drive: Please help with this error I checked very video and everything Microsoft had but it did not workWhen i plug it in to my router the exe open and works any help...
  6. Cant open exe apps from usb drive

Cant open exe apps from usb drive: Please help with this error I checked very video and everything Microsoft had but it did not workWhen i plug it in to my router the exe open and works any help...
  7. No Apps launching from D: Drive!! Please help!

No Apps launching from D: Drive!! Please help!: I'm completely unable to launch ANY installed applications from my HDD or my new SSD that I bought on the advice of a local repair shop (they told me the problem was likely to do with the HDD itself, as opposed to my computer). I'm guessing it has something to do with my...
  8. launching windows 10 from a USB optical disk drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    launching windows 10 from a USB optical disk drive: Hey, I just build a computer and just waiting on the optical drive. Am I able to install windows on my SSD from a USB optical drive? Also; why can't I transfer the installation files from the disk to a 62gb USB and boot it that way? It always drops to 0kb/s transfer speed...
  9. Can't Launch ANY Apps from D: Drive!

Can't Launch ANY Apps from D: Drive!: Any time I try and open a .exe for any program under my D: I get nothing. No window, no error code, no permissions request. I've formatted and reset, I've updated my drivers, given full administrative permissions across the board, I've tried everything. It wasn't happening...
  10. running apps from a usb drive, including authenticator

running apps from a usb drive, including authenticator: If I install apps for windows 10 on a USB drive will they work only for the PC that I'm on at the time or can I take that USB drive and go to a different windows PC and run the apps there? I want to set up a USB drive to with my security software and the authenticator. My...