Windows 10: Launch app from USB drive

Discus and support Launch app from USB drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just gotten Windows 10 Surface Pro(2017) which comes with 512GB SSD drive. I want to create a data partition out of this SSD. I know the W10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by churin, Sep 17, 2017.

1. churin Win User

Launch app from USB drive

I have just gotten Windows 10 Surface Pro(2017) which comes with 512GB SSD drive. I want to create a data partition out of this SSD. I know the W10 utility(disk management) appears to allow this, but I want to use a utility I have used for long time.
    My problem is that the bootable USB memory stick to launch the disk utility does not work. It boots on my W10 desktop machine. The memory stick is formatted in FAT32 so that it is supposed to boot on UFEI system.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

:)

churin, Sep 17, 2017

2. Is IT possible to use a MINI USB THUMB DRIVE as a cellphone memory card SINCE THE NOKIA LUMIA 920 OR 1020 DOES NOT SUPPORT MICRO SD CARD SLOT?

Since the app called Files (MS) has launched, can micro USB flash drives be used with phones such as the 920?

JackLarson, Sep 17, 2017
  3. TTKZXT Win User
    Corrupted and unreadable file but USB flash drive is okay

I installed an application from a usb flash drive. The laptop was running on its own battery (not connected to AC) and at the end of the installation, i accidentally pulled out the usb without doing the safe eject. Right after this, after restarting the
    comp, the application could not be launched. Error msg is the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. To resolve this problem, i uninstalled the app and deleted the app folder from my program files (x86) as well. However, subsequent installation failed.
    To check whether the usb flash drive is corrupted, i installed it on another computer. There is no prob with the second computer. I could launch and use the app. Also, i did a check disk on the application itself and the results are clear. Hence it appears
    that the usb drive is ok. For the first computer itself, i did a check disk and anti-virus scan and nothing is detected. Would be grateful for advice on how to resolve this problem. Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

TTKZXT, Sep 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Turn off secure boot.

Personally, I would just install MiniTool Partition Wizard and use it to do it, though.

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2017
  5. churin Win User
    Thanks for your reply.
    I think I disabled the security boot since I had to enter the recovery key to reboot. But the WinPE USB stick to run the utility still did not boot.

I got free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard and installed. But the partition resize is disabled and could not resize the system drive(C). I wonder how resizing C: drive can be done using this utility.

churin, Sep 17, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    In Minitool Partition Wizard, right click the C: drive and choose Move/Resize. Put your pointer on the far right of the drive progress bar and drag it to the left to Shrink the C: drive to what you want. You now will have a section of the drive which is Unallocated Space. Right click this and choose Create. Create the partition with this space and format it. Be sure to choose Apply after each action.
    Also be sure to backup your C: drive or clone it, just in case something goes wrong.
    The same can be done in Disk Management, if you Shrink the C: drive and then Create a New Simple Volume.

spunk, Sep 17, 2017
  7. churin Win User
    Thanks Spunk for your detailed suggestion.
    My problem is that I select the system partition and pull down the Partition menu but the Move/Resize is greyed and non-responsive. I wonder what I am doing wrong.
    Further suggestion is appreciated.

churin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Launch app from USB drive - Similar Threads - Launch app USB

2. Can't Launch ANY Apps from D: Drive!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Launch ANY Apps from D: Drive!: Any time I try and open a .exe for any program under my D: I get nothing. No window, no error code, no permissions request. I've formatted and reset, I've updated my drivers, given full administrative permissions across the board, I've tried everything. It wasn't happening...
  3. running apps from a usb drive, including authenticator

running apps from a usb drive, including authenticator: If I install apps for windows 10 on a USB drive will they work only for the PC that I'm on at the time or can I take that USB drive and go to a different windows PC and run the apps there? I want to set up a USB drive to with my security software and the authenticator. My...
  4. Apps not launching

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Apps not launching: My stock Microsoft apps i.e. photos, aren’t opening. I have contacted Microsoft support numerous times and all of them give me the same response. I try all the ways they suggest to fix it and nothing works. It all started after updating from 2018 windows 10 to 2019 windows...
  5. Update from usb drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update from usb drive?: I'm getting a new Windows 10 pc which (initially) will have no internet access. Can I just download the latest update file (kb4532695) on my laptop, copy that onto a usb drive and run it on the Windows 10 pc? I ask because info about this is rather confusing, where you...
  6. Windows Install ISO from USB won't launch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Install ISO from USB won't launch: Hey Everyone, I need your help. I have a Windows 10 computer that appears has crashed. It says your pc/device needs to be repaired. I have downloaded the windows installation media for windows 10 64 bit to create a bootable ISO on a thumb drive. When booting from the...
  7. apps not launching

apps not launching: Suddenly my calculator and photo apps will not launch. I can't open images that are sent to me. You seen the black screen and the spinning timer but then the screen goes back to the email where the image was attached. With calculator, I see the graphic blue calculator but...
  8. App not launching

App not launching: Dear Sir / Madam, I have this week bought a Surface Pro in Dubai. I launched the Calculator, Camera app and some other in-built apps but only the frame appears and then it disappears. Using ctrl+alt+del does not even show the app opened. I have done all updates...
  9. Booting from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from USB Drive: When i boot up my computer i go to the boot menu and i try booting from my usb drive it doesn't work. My computer just ignores it and normally launches as if nothing happened. Could anyone help? Thank you...
  10. launching apps from custom shell?

launching apps from custom shell?: I am using win 10 as the base for an htpc. My plan was to change the shell from explorer.exe to kodi.exe for a more seamless experience, no background no notifications etc. This works great except that if I try to launch any apps, Netflix and Perfect Tube, I get the error,...