Windows 10: Leave UEFI boot order for USB first

Discus and support Leave UEFI boot order for USB first in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there any negative if I decide to leave my boot order so USB disk is first? Except for the obvious, that if a bootable device is installed it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Whatrymes, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Whatrymes Win User

Leave UEFI boot order for USB first

Is there any negative if I decide to leave my boot order so USB disk is first? Except for the obvious, that if a bootable device is installed it will boot, but for normal everyday use, I'd like to leave it set this way. Makes it a lot easier when I want to boot up my Acronis or Macrium disks.

Thanks,
    Ed

:)

Whatrymes, Mar 21, 2017

2. Windows 10 - Install does not properly restart

I'm running a clean install on a blank formatted drive. So after the first restart (during the installation) should it boot to the bootable usb or to the hard drive? I have the boot order set for hard drive first, usb second. The mobo is a 2008 model,
    but UEFI boot is enabled. (I was running ubuntu 15.04 64-bit on this hardware before formatting the drive).

JesseLynch, Mar 21, 2017
  3. boot from usb

Hi,

I want to reinstall Windows 10 on HP Pavilion B&O and to boot it from USB.

I did the following steps but still it doesn't boot from USB.

1. Enable - Legancy Support

2. Disable - Secure Boot

3. Set in UEFI I Boot Order first option to be - USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Drive

4. Set in Legancy Boot Order first option to be - USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Drive

5. I had installed windows 10 on usb, it works because i installed it on 3 other laptops

Could you help me?

Thanks,

Bogdan Mascan, Mar 21, 2017
  4. Kyhi Win User

No adverse effects at all, other then noted

5. Whatrymes Win User
    Thanks, that was what I was hoping.

Whatrymes, Mar 21, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    The only negative is it can slow down the boot start up time. Only way to tell how much really is to try it.

Macrium has a great feature whereby you can create a boot entry and boot to it without even needing a usb/dvd drive unless hard drive has failed, or too badly corrupted. With this, I rarely need to use the actual usb drive, and can get to bios easily enough on rare occasion I need to, so I do not leave setting on by default.

cereberus, Mar 21, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    And, move the boot.wim file to a second hard drive and point the boot menu entry to it and you can boot to it even if the primary drive has failed Leave UEFI boot order for USB first :).

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2017
  8. mrgeek Win User

"if I decide to leave my boot order so USB disk is first?"

This is how I have mine set up. Might delay boot by a fraction of second *sarc but saves time when I actually need it.

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Leave UEFI boot order for USB first - Similar Threads - Leave UEFI boot

2. SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode: Recently I had a virus attack on my pc which led it to completely wipe my pc including the drive with windows in it. This led me to redownloading windows from from a hdd I had lying around. First that wasnt detected in uefi boot mode but was detected in legacy. So I thought...
  3. SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode: Recently I had a virus attack on my pc which led it to completely wipe my pc including the drive with windows in it. This led me to redownloading windows from from a hdd I had lying around. First that wasnt detected in uefi boot mode but was detected in legacy. So I thought...
  4. SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode: Recently I had a virus attack on my pc which led it to completely wipe my pc including the drive with windows in it. This led me to redownloading windows from from a hdd I had lying around. First that wasnt detected in uefi boot more but was detected in legacy. So I thoughts...
  5. Dell UEFI USB Boot

Dell UEFI USB Boot: Hi all, Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have already gone through a number of fixes but nothing seems to be working for me so far. I have been provided with a USB with an MDT image on to re-image a number of PCs but soon realised it was formatted in NTFS due...
  6. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  7. UEFI boot order of disks is not correct

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI boot order of disks is not correct: I am confused. My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. The boot order does not look right. The first disk that appears...
  8. Disk boot order not correct in UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk boot order not correct in UEFI: My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. It does not look right. The first disk that appears there, 860 EVO, is not the...
  9. UEFI Boot Order: OS Installation through PXE

UEFI Boot Order: OS Installation through PXE: I have query regarding UEFI boot order change after OS installation. I want to know whether the result is expected or not. I am trying to install OS through PXE by following the below procedure: 1. In BIOS setup page, changed the UEFI boot order and set the network...
  10. Win TP wants to be first in boot order

Win TP wants to be first in boot order: I downloaded the new 9860 Win TP today and noticed a few interesting boot problems. I am using 3 separate SSD's: One with Win 7 HP 64 bit, the second with Win 8.1 Pro and the 3rd with Win 10 TP. I am using a Asus Maximus V Gene mob and the legacy BIOS option. In the...