Windows 10: Leaving a domain

Discus and support Leaving a domain in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo thinkpad. I am joined to a network of a former employer. I am no longer with that company. I want to leave the domain. I can't seem to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EileenFisher, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Leaving a domain

I have a Lenovo thinkpad. I am joined to a network of a former employer. I am no longer with that company. I want to leave the domain. I can't seem to do it. How can I do this? I am ultimately trying to get my computer to stop performing poorly/slowly. I have a new version of Windows 10 and want to do a clean install. However I can't seem to format my hard drive. I believe it is due to being on this domain but no longer being able to log in. Thanks for any ideas.

:)

EileenFisher, Feb 9, 2020
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

leave a domain

Hi,

If you're Windows PC is part of a domain, you can remove the PC from the domain by following the steps below:

• Open Settings, and click Accounts.
    • Click on Access work or
      school
      , click on the connected AD
      domain
      you want to be removed from, and then click on Disconnect.
    • Click Yes to confirm.
    • Click Disconnect when asked if you want to disconnect from the organization.
    • Click Restart now.
    • After done, your PC shouldn't be a member of the domain.

Note: You must be signed in to an administrator account to leave a domain.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Rey Bel1, Feb 9, 2020
  3. changari Win User
    Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Feb 9, 2020
  4. robos Win User

Leaving a domain

Getting a domain name...

Just simple 3 steps to make your website glow to millions…
    Step 1: Sign up now and get a FREE domain!
    Step 2: Design your new website in minutes!
    Step 3: You are live! Share your life online!

Click here…

robos, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Leaving a domain

1. Leaving a domain - Similar Threads - Leaving domain

2. How can my 14 year old son leave family safety without my permission?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How can my 14 year old son leave family safety without my permission?: My 14 year old son has a Win 11 lap top. I am the admin user. He is a standard user on the lap top in my family group able to sign in. This morning at 10 am he found a link in family safety to leave the family group, which he decided to try out. He tells me that he was told...
  3. How can my 14 year old son leave family safety without my permission?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can my 14 year old son leave family safety without my permission?: My 14 year old son has a Win 11 lap top. I am the admin user. He is a standard user on the lap top in my family group able to sign in. This morning at 10 am he found a link in family safety to leave the family group, which he decided to try out. He tells me that he was told...
  4. How can my 14 year old son leave family safety without my permission?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to leave the family I am in - Microsoft Account

How to leave the family I am in - Microsoft Account: I just reset my PC and decided to use the same outlook account I've had for years on my Xbox.I cannot access my virus and threat protection settings, because the IT administrator has limited access. When I view the accounts on Microsoft Family Safety, it is showing my account...
  6. Unable to change password policy after leaving domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change password policy after leaving domain: I have a laptop that I used for contract work that they required me to be on their domain for the length of my contract. The contract is now over, I have left their domain and wish to lessen the restrictions on passwords that were put in place by being on their domain....
  7. Unable to change password policy after leaving domain

Unable to change password policy after leaving domain: I have a laptop that I used for contract work that they required me to be on their domain for the length of my contract. The contract is now over, I have left their domain and wish to lessen the restrictions on passwords that were put in place by being on their domain....
  8. Unable to change password policy after leaving domain

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Wndows 10 Not leaving Workgroup To Join Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wndows 10 Not leaving Workgroup To Join Domain: I have a new PC and am trying to join it to our domain. It displays under network and sharing that it is in the domain, but when I go to system properties and computer name then join the computer or change its name it is listed in a workgroup. If I try to change the workgroup...
  10. Locked out after leaving domain.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked out after leaving domain.: Hello, Hoping to get back into my 5 year old machine without reinstalling w10 again...I have read several other similar threads similar. I have been looking at this for a few days now and here's my situation: I have been able to log in with my microsoft account and it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 leave domain