Windows 10: Leaving ExtHDD's power connected but not data (USB) connected)

Discus and support Leaving ExtHDD's power connected but not data (USB) connected) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, all, I have been in the practice of simply disconnecting the USB cables to my backup external (external powered) hdd's, and leaving the power (AC)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JDGiants, Jan 16, 2021.

1. JDGiants Win User

Leaving ExtHDD's power connected but not data (USB) connected)

Hi, all,

I have been in the practice of simply disconnecting the USB cables to my backup external (external powered) hdd's, and leaving the power (AC) to them connected. These drives are only used when I perform a _manual_ backup of my internal data, at which time I re-connect the USB cables. Would it be better to also disconnect the power to these drives (a bit tedious, but...) or do they only spin up when there is a data connection? Time between _manual_ backup varies, but approximately 1/wk. Please elaborate as needed. TIA!

-JD

:)

JDGiants, Jan 16, 2021
  2. twilyth Win User

Wired LAN connection and USB wireless connection?

You might be able to bridge the connections, but I'll leave that to one of the network gurus to sort out.

If you have a wireless N router, you might be better off just using the wireless USB connection. It will depend on a variety of factors.

Your cabling might be able to handle data rates much higher then what they are technically rated for, so I wouldn't assume that you're limited to 100baseT. It will depend partly on the cabling and partly on the router.

However even in that case, if your main concern is internet access, that obviously is limited by your ISP. The odds you have something that is 100mbps or higher are pretty slim. But if your main concern is transporting data over your lan, then you should get better than 100mbps speeds over your existing cabling - assuming that the router is rated for higher speeds.

Wireless N speeds also depend on the router and the dongle. Here is a list of the various data rates you can get with wireless N. As you will see from that link, they can vary from as little as 6.5 to as much as 600mbps.

twilyth, Jan 16, 2021
  3. Borg 386 Win User
    Connected cars: What happens to your data after you leave your rental

Have to admit I was surprised that the car retains so much personal data. Something else to worry about *Rolleyes

Connected cars: What happens to your data after you leave your rental car behind? | ZDNet

Borg 386, Jan 16, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Connected cars: What happens to your data after you leave your rental

Have to admit I was surprised that the car retains so much personal data. Something else to worry about *Rolleyes

Connected cars: What happens to your data after you leave your rental car behind? | ZDNet

Brink, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Leaving ExtHDD's power connected but not data (USB) connected) - Similar Threads - Leaving ExtHDD's power

2. USB port is providing power but no connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port is providing power but no connection: The USB port on the left side of my Inspiron laptop will provide power to devices but does not have any data communicated whatsoever. The other USB port works just fine. I have tried all the suggestions in device manager, various methods or restarting the computer and...
  3. USB port is providing power but no connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port is providing power but no connection: The USB port on the left side of my Inspiron laptop will provide power to devices but does not have any data communicated whatsoever. The other USB port works just fine. I have tried all the suggestions in device manager, various methods or restarting the computer and...
  4. USB port is providing power but no connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB loses connection when power cable is connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB loses connection when power cable is connected: Hello,Whenever I plug power cable to my notebook all my usb ports loses connection and comes back immediately. If I copy something from an external hard drive or any usb, when I plug or unplug the power cable, copy process dies. This is really annoying. If anyone knows why...
  6. USB loses connection when power cable is connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB loses connection when power cable is connected: Hello,Whenever I plug power cable to my notebook all my usb ports loses connection and comes back immediately. If I copy something from an external hard drive or any usb, when I plug or unplug the power cable, copy process dies. This is really annoying. If anyone knows why...
  7. USB loses connection when power cable is connected

8. if I connect USB 3 Power hub with four USB connections, how many USB devices can be connected?

if I connect USB 3 Power hub with four USB connections, how many USB devices can be connected?: In my laptop if I connect Power hub USB 3 with four USB connections 5V/3A AC,how many USB devices can be connected? Can I connect four USB 3 devices surely will not connect all four together via USB 3 Power hub? or I should not connect more than one or two? Your help in...
  9. USB Ports giving power but no data connection.

USB Ports giving power but no data connection.: Hi, For a while now I have had an issue with only the USB 3.0 ports at the back of my pc only provide power but no data connection. The ports seem to be fine, as I was able to make a bootable linux usb and run it fine on each of the ports. I have tried to update my drivers,...
  10. Is there a way to check data usage on USB Tethering connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to check data usage on USB Tethering connection: A few moment ago I use my phone's USB tethering to connect to my PC like I always do, however it suddenly drained my 2GB worth of data empty in just 30min, I had never had this problem before. Is there a way for me to check which software had cause this problem? 60685