Windows 10: Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start

Discus and support Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; El botón izquierdo funciona en cualquier otro lugar de mi PC, incluidos los elementos del menú en un menú Inicio abierto. Es una situación agravante... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Faustinopmridgen, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start

El botón izquierdo funciona en cualquier otro lugar de mi PC, incluidos los elementos del menú en un menú Inicio abierto. Es una situación agravante que solo se puede arreglar con un reinicio. Lamentablemente, no dura mucho y vuelvo a los bloques de cuadros de diálogo.

:)

Faustinopmridgen, Apr 8, 2019

2. Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start

When I Ieft click on Start, the Desktop or the Taskbar using my Asus touchpad I cannot open the accompanying dialog box. At least not all the way. It appears as a sliver with only the arrows that would open another dialog box showing.

Left click works everywhere else on my PC, including menu items in an opened Start menu. It is an aggravating situation that can only be fixed with a reboot. Alas it doesn't last long and I'm right back to slivers of dialog boxes.

Paul Zanoni2013, Apr 8, 2019
  3. David Haz Win User
    Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working

Hello,

If the Open and Save As dialog boxes are not appearing, there might be a process or service that is conflicting with that function of Windows. We recommend that you perform a clean boot of Windows. This would aid eliminate software conflicts that occur when
    using Windows.

Note: Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when performing a clean boot. If you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original issue.

Here's how to perform a clean boot environment in Windows 10:

• Press the Start button, then type msconfig, and select
      System Configuration from the search results.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, then select
      Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
      Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click OK, and then restart your computer.

After performing a clean boot environment of Windows, see if the Open
    and Save As dialog boxes work as they should be. If it works, then you may follow the steps below on how to determine what is causing the problem while in a clean boot environment:

• Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    • From Start. search for msconfig, then select
      msconfig or System Configuration from the search results.
    • Click the Services tab, and then click to select the
      Hide all Microsoft services
      check box.
    • Click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Service list.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.
    • After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem still occurs.
      • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 1 through
        , but clear the lower half of the check boxes in the Service
        list that you originally selected.
      • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 1 through
        , and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
        Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
      • If you still experience the problem when only one service is selected in the
        Service
        list, this means that the selected service causes the problem, and you should go to step
        10. If no service causes the problem, go to step 7.
    • Repeat steps 1 and 2 in this section.
    • Click the Startup tab, then click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the
      Startup Item list.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.
      • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 7 and 8, but clear the lower half of the checked boxes in the
        Startup Item list that you originally selected.
      • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 7 and 8, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
        Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
      • If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item
        is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected
        Startup Item causes the problem, and you should go to step
      • If no Startup Item causes the problem, a Microsoft service probably causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat steps
        1 through 6 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services
        check box in each step.
    • After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the
      System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

If you need further assistance, feel free to ask us.

If you think this was useful, feel free to mark it as an answer to help those who are facing the same problem.

David Haz, Apr 8, 2019
  4. LauraWan Win User

Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start

Dialog Box Save/Open

When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved
    in the drop down list? I know how to disable the jump list in Windows 10 by turning of Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar by the toggle button so that it says Off. That doesn't clear the list that I want it to.

Example in photo (Yes I am aware that is Windows 8/8.1 but I have Windows 10):

Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start 866e2dca-7080-43d0-adc1-ba806bdcfe67?upload=true.png

LauraWan, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start

1. Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start - Similar Threads - Left click does

2. right clicking Properties not showing dialog box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    right clicking Properties not showing dialog box: for a couple months now when I right click on file or folder and select the properties no dialog box appears. I have also tried Alt+Enter and same thing...nothingI haven't encounters this in the past windows versions.Thanks...
  3. Dialog boxes will not open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dialog boxes will not open: I'm using Windows 10 on an ASUS VivoBook. Sometime in the past few months, dialog boxes for Snip & Sketch and the HP Smart app have stopped working. When I click save on either of these apps, instead of a dialog box coming up for me to rename the file and choose where to save...
  4. Dialog boxes will not open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dialog boxes will not open: I'm using Windows 10 on an ASUS VivoBook. Sometime in the past few months, dialog boxes for Snip & Sketch and the HP Smart app have stopped working. When I click save on either of these apps, instead of a dialog box coming up for me to rename the file and choose where to save...
  5. Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...: New 4 Months Lennovo legion laptop with Win10 64 bit pre-installed. As indicated, the file/open file/save dialog boxes do not work for any 32 bit applications. This includes Office applications/Acrobat/Garmin/etc. Dialog boxes do work for 64 bit applications. 1 I have...
  6. Open/save dialog boxes always default to Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open/save dialog boxes always default to Desktop: How can I get Windows to show a different folder when these windows pop up? The stuff I'm trying to open/save is never on my desktop, and because it defaults to this I have to scroll up on the left to get to my quick access shortcuts. submitted by /u/DeafeningLure [link]...
  7. Always Dialog opens on left side from Right Click menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Always Dialog opens on left side from Right Click menu: Hello Guys, I am Pranav Dave and I am teacher teaching Physics. Curious and interested in technology. I am posting my Query here. When I right click on desktop (even at other places to) the select any option from it and what I always see that dialog open always on left...
  8. Items on desktop will not open on left click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Items on desktop will not open on left click: Items on desktop will not open on left click, must right click and select OPEN. Same probl;em on multiple PCs, began all at once on all PCs. Same problems on Windows Live Mail --- clicking on an email will not open it. Also on other apps, for example, trying to open a file...
  9. Dialog Box Save/Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialog Box Save/Open: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...
  10. Left Click on Start Does Nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Left Click on Start Does Nothing: Windows 10 was working, then I used CCleaner to delete temporary files. Now, when I left click on Start, there is a momentary blue circle over Start indicating that the machine is busy performing a task, but nothing else happens. Right clicking on start brings up a menu of...