Windows 10: Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on...

Discus and support Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly Sometimes double clicks on single click The issue happens on multiple systems – I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ScorpionMaster1, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on...

Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly

Sometimes double clicks on single click

The issue happens on multiple systems –

I have 5 computer systems 1 desktop 4 Laptop various makes/models

• Custom Desktop
    • Lenovo Legion Y520
    • Lenovo Yoga 710
    • HP Specter X360
    • Dell Inspiron 3153 11

All Windows 10
    All mouse / trackball / touch pad

• Trackball/Thumb ball Logitech M570
    • Insignia NS-PNM3BBBK
    • Generic Gaming Mouse
    • Built in touch pad

When I attempt to highlight text and hold down the mouse button at where I want it to start, the following happens

• It does not highlight at all
    • It may start to highlight 3 or 4 words in or several lines later then on releasing the mouse button
    • The highlight might remain on or turn off
    • It starts to highlight correctly then turns it off on releasing the button
    • It starts to highlight correctly but turns off without releasing the button
    • It does it correctly
    • It will sometimes skip and move the middle of a word or sentence to another area
    • Starting at the end of the text it does it correctly more often though still get the same problems as listed above.

It does this if I use either the wireless mouse or the touch pad on the machine

It happens while using Browsers Chrome or Firefox, Word, Excel, etc.

I have already checked the following:

Happens on multiple systems – may work for a few minutes, then back

1. Additional mouse options
    2. Reboot Windows File Explorer
    3. Create a new local user account
    4. Clean boot and installing the latest Windows Update
    5. Uninstall and Reinstall the device
    6. Enable Single-Click to Open Items
    7. Hardware troubleshooter
    8. Restarted Router
    9. Changed USB port on the PC.
    10. File Explorer, View tab, Options, General, Single-click to open
    11. Entered sfc /scannow
    12. Boot in safe mode – Advanced startup
    13. Updated drivers
    14. Changed Anti-virus/system security software
    15. Ease of Access center
    16. Sticky Keys Disable
    17. Blink rate value of the cursor
    18. Changes mice

I think that just about covers everything - The only constant is Windows 10 - I also noticed that this issue goes back to at least 2006

Any and all suggestions beyond what I have already tried would be a great help

Thank you

:)

ScorpionMaster1, Jul 17, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Single-click or double-click?

As the title says, do you single-click or double-click on your shortcuts to open your apps?

I'm a fan of single-click, the only downside is that often when I click on a message in de list of my mails in Outlook it can open the mail in a window...
    Not always but besides that, single-click works best for me.

P4-630, Jul 17, 2020
  3. R9
    r9 Win User
    Single-click or double-click?

Yes.

4. hispublic Win User

Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on...

Mouse Issues - Right Click Sometimes Acts as Left Click & Left Click Sometimes Requires Multiple Clicks to Work

i76700, 32GB RAM, plenty of storage OS on SSD, most other things on HDD, wired HID mouse, Win10 Home 64 version 1709, os build 16299.309 but issues existed in previous updates. Windows and 3rd party diagnostics tell me that the pc overall, and the mouse,
    driver and motherboard specifically, are working properly.

Sometimes the mouse works exactly as expected. Sometimes it has issues.

1. Sometimes the Left Click doesn't work. The pointer highlights the link/icon properly but when clicked nothing happens. I can click a dozen times before it decides to work. The settings on the mouse are default...left click is main, no swap, etc.
    I don't have physical/intellectual issues that prevent me from properly clicking as I've done for decades. The problem exists on both single click (hyper)links as well as double click icons. I don't know of any trigger for the problem...it seems to just
    not work...then it just works then is doesn't then it does. Very annoying.

2. Sometimes the Right Click either doesn't work or acts as a Double Left Click. I'll Right Click expecting to see the contextual drop down menu. About 60% of the times that's what will happen. The rest of the times, the Right click does nothing at all
    or produces a Double Left Click. Again, no known trigger or work around except trial & error, which again is very annoying.

hispublic, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on...

1. Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on... - Similar Threads - Left click Highlighting

2. Highlighting of text does not work properly and mouse double clicking when only clicked...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Highlighting of text does not work properly and mouse double clicking when only clicked...: Highlighting of text does not work properly -- I have the same issues as the one already identified in this forum. Problems started with Windows 10. If I use my mouse to highlight, it doesn't highlight the whole area, or drops part of it or all of it. If I use my laptop mouse...
  3. Highlighting of text does not work properly and mouse double clicking when only clicked...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Highlighting of text does not work properly and mouse double clicking when only clicked...: Highlighting of text does not work properly -- I have the same issues as the one already identified in this forum. Problems started with Windows 10. If I use my mouse to highlight, it doesn't highlight the whole area, or drops part of it or all of it. If I use my laptop mouse...
  4. Highlighting of text does not work properly and mouse double clicking when only clicked...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Files / text are deleted when I left click / double left click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files / text are deleted when I left click / double left click: A few weeks back my files began being deleted when I left click on their icons in my desktop / file explorer.Some times all files under a folder are deleted, if I click in the file list part of the file explorer. When that happens, if I click on the cancel button my click is...
  6. Files / text are deleted when I left click / double left click

Files / text are deleted when I left click / double left click: A few weeks back my files began being deleted when I left click on their icons in my desktop / file explorer.Some times all files under a folder are deleted, if I click in the file list part of the file explorer. When that happens, if I click on the cancel button my click is...
  7. Files / text are deleted when I left click / double left click

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Left Click to Highlight Text Doesn't Work Properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Left Click to Highlight Text Doesn't Work Properly: Hi,I am a desktop PC user on Windows 10, and just today switched to Windows 11. Recently, I have been experiencing issues related to highlighting text/copy and paste. There are no problems when I'm on my Apple MacBook Pro, but I keep experiencing this issue on PC.When I...
  9. Left Click to Highlight Text Doesn't Work Properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left Click to Highlight Text Doesn't Work Properly: Hi,I am a desktop PC user on Windows 10, and just today switched to Windows 11. Recently, I have been experiencing issues related to highlighting text/copy and paste. There are no problems when I'm on my Apple MacBook Pro, but I keep experiencing this issue on PC.When I...
  10. Left Click to Highlight Text Doesn't Work Properly