Windows 10: Left click start menu makes desktop icon disappear.

Discus and support Left click start menu makes desktop icon disappear. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A customer brought me a machine with an issue I have never seen before. All desktop icons were gone and the only thing on the desktop is 3 lines in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phillyfan2020, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Left click start menu makes desktop icon disappear.

A customer brought me a machine with an issue I have never seen before. All desktop icons were gone and the only thing on the desktop is 3 lines in the upper left (opens an empty start menu), 3 lines in the lower left (opens all programs list) and the power button above that. I have managed to bring the desktop icons back but when I click the start menu it switches from the desktop with icons to the above mentioned screen with no icons. When it is on this new screen you can't right click on anything. A new user works as it should. The customer has no idea what they clicked on. Is there someway to rest any customization's they have done?

:)

phillyfan2020, Feb 26, 2016

2. After November Update, Start Menu tiles Cannot be Removed by left Click

Hi,

I did the Win 10 November update last night on my Surface Book. Before the update, I would left click on the Windows icon and the start menu and tiles would pop up. If I left clicked again, the menu and tiles would disappear. Now left clicking will make
    them appear, but not disappear. To make them disappear now I have to right
    click the Windows icon and then click 'desktop'.

Was this part of the update? I didn't read anything about this being part of the update. It's not a big deal, but I don't particularly like it.

Thanks

Diotallevi, Feb 26, 2016
  3. brucejm Win User
    Windows 10 display problems

Thanks for the reply; I tried this three times. After right click on windows icon and left click on "Desktop" start menu items disappeared and a Cyberlink icon appeared with no further change, even after a long wait. Subsequently left clicking anywhere
    restores the start menu, and removes the Cyberlink icon.

brucejm, Feb 26, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Left click start menu makes desktop icon disappear.

I believe your customer has the Tablet Mode turned on.

Bottom right at the system tray, there is a Notification icon next to Time > click it > click Tablet mode.
    Desktop should be back on.

Left click start menu makes desktop icon disappear. [​IMG]

davidhk, Feb 26, 2016
  5. Thanks david. I had to turn off tablet mode and that brought the icons back. Then turn off use full start screen under Personalization > Start, so that left click on start menu actually opened the menu.
    Hope this helps someone.

phillyfan2020, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Left click start menu makes desktop icon disappear.

1. Left click start menu makes desktop icon disappear. - Similar Threads - Left click start

2. Left click the Start menu and the screen locks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left click the Start menu and the screen locks: Windows 10 21H2, Lenovo 5th gen Yoga 11e. When I left click the Start menu the screen locks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-click-the-start-menu-and-the-screen-locks/867eaa16-4b7b-4f31-a795-e8afe00a5bc5
  3. Left click the Start menu and the screen locks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left click the Start menu and the screen locks: Windows 10 21H2, Lenovo 5th gen Yoga 11e. When I left click the Start menu the screen locks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-click-the-start-menu-and-the-screen-locks/867eaa16-4b7b-4f31-a795-e8afe00a5bc5
  4. Left click the Start menu and the screen locks

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu: As shown in picture, all exe applications excluding those from Microsoft store disappears on start menu. Even disappear in all Apps. I have tried some methods such as sfc/scannow, delete iconcache create another user account etc., but none of them work so far.Anyone has...
  6. Start Menu left margin icons - expanded?

Start Menu left margin icons - expanded?: Is there a way to customize the Windows 10 start menu to always expand the left margin icons? There are three lines at the top left corner that can expand the left margin outward, but it collapses afterwards. I'd prefer to get rid of the alphabetized scroll list altogether...
  7. Icons on start menu disappears

Icons on start menu disappears: Hi! I'm having an issue where some the icons of the programs/apps I have pinned in the start menu disappears. Usually it's the chrome icon missing but it can change and be different ones every time I restart the computer. The icon shows up again after I select properties...
  8. Start menu icons disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons disappear: Some-to-most of my start menu icons keep disappearing. There's still a box there and if I hover over it, it will identify, and I can open the program by clicking on it. But the icon itself is gone. 112866
  9. Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu: Whenever I move shortcuts to a folder in the Start Menu, a lot of times the icon turns into what appears to be a white blank sheet of paper. I've tried changing the icon, to no avail. They show up just fine in the Start Menu, just not in File Explorer. How do I fix this? 82451
  10. Right Click on Drive makes Menu disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click on Drive makes Menu disappear: If I go into File Explorer, navigate to any Drive, and right click on it, the File Explorer menu just disappears. Nothing else happens. No other apparent side effects, but I would like to be able to right click on a Drive to view Properties, etc. This has been happening for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to makes desktop icon name disappear