Windows 10: Left click won't open folders all of a sudden...

Discus and support Left click won't open folders all of a sudden... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday, out of the blue, I was no longer able to left click on a folder to open it. If I right click and then choose open, it will open. I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kiaya611, Oct 20, 2015.

1. kiaya611 Win User

Left click won't open folders all of a sudden...

Yesterday, out of the blue, I was no longer able to left click on a folder to open it. If I right click and then choose open, it will open. I get the error message:

Left click won't open folders all of a sudden... [​IMG]

I have not made any changes lately and I don't know what could cause this as I have never experienced this on any version of windows. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise on my Dell XPS 8100 with an Intel i5 Processor at 3.20Mhz and 8 GBs of DDR3 RAM, and a 1 TB HDD which is about 1/2 full/empty.

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know as I have LOTS of security running and still something looks to have gotten through.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Steven

Yesterday, out of the blue, I was no longer able to left click on a folder to open it. If I right click and then choose open, it will open. I get the error message:

I have not made any changes lately and I don't know what could cause this as I have never experienced this on any version of windows. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise on my Dell XPS 8100 with an Intel i5 Processor at 3.20Mhz and 8 GBs of DDR3 RAM, and a 1 TB HDD which is about 1/2 full/empty.

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know as I have LOTS of security running and still something looks to have gotten through.

Steven

Steven

:)

kiaya611, Oct 20, 2015

2. File Explorer Jump List

Hi, New PC Win 10 installed been working fine for about a year. All of a sudden, could have been after an update, and whilst all other jump lists are fine, the File Explorer jump list won't let me open an item by left clicking on it. To open an file
    from the File Explorer Jump List I have to right click to open the jump list then right click again to open the mini menu and then I can left click the word Open. This is so annoying when you're used to just left clicking the file once the jump list is open.
    Any ideas anyone apart from restore. thanks.

JohnBarrieUnsworth, Oct 20, 2015
  3. RGWNYC Win User
    The data area passed to a system is too small

All of a sudden when I try to open pictures I get this message. I can see the pictures in the folders, but they won't open.

I tried to download a hotfix but couldn't get that to work either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

RGWNYC, Oct 20, 2015
  4. Left click won't open folders all of a sudden...

Have you tried a different mouse at all.
    Also when you say you have lots of security on there how do you mean, if you have 2 antivirus running one will conflixed with the other, and might let a bug through

hTconeM9user, Oct 20, 2015
  5. kiaya611 Win User
    I only have 1 mouse and have been using it for numerous month w/o any problems. As for security, I have different kinds of security, i.e. Fort Know Firewall, Reason Core Security, Avira, Malwarebytes, Unhackme Monitor, Iobit Malware Fighter v3.3.

I tried to get programs that covered numerous aspects w/o conflict. Most do different things and yes there are a couple that overlap in what they do, but I have been running them ever since I up graded to Windows 10, back in July. While it is possible, I would think that a problem would have shown up much earlier...just a guess.

kiaya611, Oct 20, 2015
  6. Is your mouse usb or wi fi and have you tried to go into setting to see if you can reset it.

7. kiaya611 Win User
    It is a WIFI mouse. I haven't tried resetting it, but I will do that now and see if it helps.

kiaya611, Oct 20, 2015
  8. Left click won't open folders all of a sudden...

Also if you have the disc for it then uninstall it and run the software on the disc and then it should re connect with all the function enabled, also pity you did not have a usb one handy as that has different drivers and would work ok.
    When I had windows 8.1 and IE11 sometimes my touch pad would freeze, I brought a cheap usb mouse put it in and used that it soon woke up my touch pad,
    Since getting rid of both and using 10 and Edge I have not no trouble for 6 weeks, but still got mouse in drawer for when I do other peoples laptop and computers

9. gus2go Win User
    I've been having the same problem except on a laptop/Windows 7 since Sunday. Left clicking on music/pic folders won't open them and I get that same message; but I am able to right click and select open. I did copy a folder to my desktop and was able to left click it that way.

There are a couple of things listed that I don't recognize from before when I right click to open- there is

explore (I get the same error message about the file not having a program...if I try to right or left click on this)
    open (this does work)
    opennewprocess (?)
    opennewwindow (?)

then all the usual stuff that I've always seen. Don't want to mess with those question marks since I don't know they do. lol Maybe they were always there and I've never noticed because I never had to right click? Ahh, at this point I don't even know!! I've been trying to find a solution all night. I'm woozy.

There was an automatic update right before I started having problems so I tried uninstalling each update one by one but that did not work. I also can't restore to before the problem. I have been searching for a couple days for a fix and I think it might be registry related but I am hesitant to try anything and do more damage. I've downloaded a registry fix - no luck. I'm not computer/tech savy so all the info I'm finding is confusing me. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated in simple terms. lol

gus2go, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Left click won't open folders all of a sudden...

1. Left click won't open folders all of a sudden... - Similar Threads - Left click won't

2. All of a sudden the left and right click on Thinkpad stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All of a sudden the left and right click on Thinkpad stopped working: Hello,I have a Windows 10 Pro Thinkpad Yoga 260, and it was working fine until an hour ago, and then all of a sudden both the left and right click stopped working though the trackball and touchpad work fine.I checked the drivers in the Device Manager and they're up to date,...
  3. All of a sudden the left and right click on Thinkpad stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All of a sudden the left and right click on Thinkpad stopped working: Hello,I have a Windows 10 Pro Thinkpad Yoga 260, and it was working fine until an hour ago, and then all of a sudden both the left and right click stopped working though the trackball and touchpad work fine.I checked the drivers in the Device Manager and they're up to date,...
  4. All of a sudden the left and right click on Thinkpad stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. mouse left click suddenly stop working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mouse left click suddenly stop working: So I have a problem with my laptop mouse where suddenly the left click doesn't seem to work, but the left click sometimes suddenly works but only in a specific app and after that it suddenly doesn't work again....
  6. mouse left click suddenly stop working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mouse left click suddenly stop working: So I have a problem with my laptop mouse where suddenly the left click doesn't seem to work, but the left click sometimes suddenly works but only in a specific app and after that it suddenly doesn't work again....
  7. Start menu suddenly won't open at all

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu suddenly won't open at all: Hello, I am running Windows 10 version 2004. After restarting Windows 10 today my Start menu has suddenly stopped working. Clicking on the Start button or pressing the Windows key on my keyboard does nothing at all. The search menu still works, but is now half its previous...
  8. Items on desktop will not open on left click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Items on desktop will not open on left click: Items on desktop will not open on left click, must right click and select OPEN. Same probl;em on multiple PCs, began all at once on all PCs. Same problems on Windows Live Mail --- clicking on an email will not open it. Also on other apps, for example, trying to open a file...
  9. Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to open file/folder / Browser page with Left click: Hi I am unable to open files/folders/browser page with Left click. Started about a week ago. Win10 appears normal with no new updates. All programs open, but files/folders will not open in same window. Left click and Win10 tries to open but the parent file/folder remains...
  10. Suddenly started having issues (left) clicking

in Windows 10 Support
    Suddenly started having issues (left) clicking: While using my laptop normally today, I found that all of a sudden I was having issues when clicking with my mouse. In particular I noticed it when trying to click to switch tabs in Chrome, or to click icons on my taskbar. Some clicking worked- for example, I could exit out...