Windows 10: Left Ctrl Key doesn't work after updating

Discus and support Left Ctrl Key doesn't work after updating in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After updating to the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, my Left Ctrl Key doesn't work, and the Keyboard shows as healthy and all drivers are up to date... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AT1912, Nov 16, 2018.

1. AT1912 Win User

Left Ctrl Key doesn't work after updating

After updating to the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, my Left Ctrl Key doesn't work, and the Keyboard shows as healthy and all drivers are up to date (even uninstalled and reinstalled them). Any fixes? At this point I'll try anything, all the "Hold Alt+Ctrl keys down" and stuff haven't worked and I can't live without my Left Control Key (If the Right one was broken I wouldn't care xD)

:)

AT1912, Nov 16, 2018

2. some control keys (CTRL + c,v,t) not working...

Hi,

Some of ctrl shortcuts with left control are suddenly not working anymore, like ctrl v,c,t but they are working with the right control key. They were working a few days ago. Also, ctrl z and x are working (with both left and right) so left control key
    IS working physically (on-screen keyboard also show the key being pressed).

A few random keys with left shift are also not responding like shift+5 and some others (seems absolutely random). Currently using Windows 10.

What I already tried (and failed, obviously):

• troubleshooter for keyboard
    • checked it in Safe Mode
    • uninstalled the keyboard driver (from device manager) and restart the computer
    • updating the keyboard driver (from device manager)
    • updating windows
    • signing out and creating a new account
    • resetting the BIOS to default
    • reinstalled the whole windows!!
    Although the shortcuts are working with an external keyboard.

Please Help me I have tried many things but none are working... And I can't keep using the external keyboard, and these shortcuts not working is super frustrating!!! HELP!!!

Abdul MoizFarooq, Nov 16, 2018
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Both CTRL keys not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Did you make any changes in your computer prior to this issue?

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Method 1: To check if Ctrl keys work in Onscreen keyboard.

• Press Windows Key + R and type osk and hit Enter.
    Try using Ctrl keys and check if that helps.

if you still face the issue, try Method 2.

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Left Ctrl Key doesn't work after updating

Left CTRL key only works together with the left SHIFT key

Hello,

Starting from today while I was using FL Studio to copy some musical notes I noticed Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V weren't working

I've opened the on-screen keyboard in order to check if the left CTRL key was working and pressing it alone doesn't show any input.

But. when I tried to first press the left SHIFT key holding it and then pressing the left CTRL key together. both keys showed input. (right CTRL key works fine)

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

I've already tried to uninstall the keyboard's driver and then restarting the PC but it didn't work.

Best regards,

Me

Cosmin Lucian Iacob, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

Left Ctrl Key doesn't work after updating

1. Left Ctrl Key doesn't work after updating - Similar Threads - Left Ctrl Key

2. left Ctrl key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    left Ctrl key not working: I have recently discovered that whenever I try to use keyboard shortcuts i.e. ctrl + C, ctrl + Z, etc. with my LEFT control key, nothing happens. Instead, it will just type the letter I tried to use in the shortcut. So if I try to copy, it will enter a C. This is only...
  3. left Ctrl key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    left Ctrl key not working: I have recently discovered that whenever I try to use keyboard shortcuts i.e. ctrl + C, ctrl + Z, etc. with my LEFT control key, nothing happens. Instead, it will just type the letter I tried to use in the shortcut. So if I try to copy, it will enter a C. This is only...
  4. Left CTRL key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left CTRL key doesn't work: On my Windows 10 Pro the left CTRL key doesn't work.For example, hitting CTRL+F on my browser to lunch "Find in page" doesn't do anything. BUT the right CTRL key works fine. Same for other functions such as CTRL+C and CTRL+V - they work just fine only with the right CTRL and...
  5. Left CTRL key doesn't work

Left CTRL key doesn't work: On my Windows 10 Pro the left CTRL key doesn't work.For example, hitting CTRL+F on my browser to lunch "Find in page" doesn't do anything. BUT the right CTRL key works fine. Same for other functions such as CTRL+C and CTRL+V - they work just fine only with the right CTRL and...
  6. Left CTRL key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Left Ctrl key doesn't work with Windows key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left Ctrl key doesn't work with Windows key: I just upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, and after the upgrade, the hotkey combo to switch desktops doesn't work when using the left Ctrl key.Right Ctrl + Win key + arrow key = works fineLeft Ctrl + Win key + arrow key = does not workLeft Ctrl + Win key + D = creates...
  8. Left Ctrl key doesn't work with Windows key

Left Ctrl key doesn't work with Windows key: I just upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, and after the upgrade, the hotkey combo to switch desktops doesn't work when using the left Ctrl key.Right Ctrl + Win key + arrow key = works fineLeft Ctrl + Win key + arrow key = does not workLeft Ctrl + Win key + D = creates...
  9. left ctrl key

left ctrl key: My left control keys minimizes my open programs and then opens Cortana. This is causing a few problems, how do I disable this function. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-ctrl-key/f961a67d-cd1a-4557-bb0e-c49c0d02eed8
  10. Left CTRL key not working properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Left CTRL key not working properly: Ever since I left the insiders build of windows (because I got sick of bugs and constant updates) and completely reinstalled windows to the latest stable version, the left control key won't work 100% of the time. The right one works just fine, and I've seen multiple threads...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. left ctrl key doesnt work

2. left control key doesnt work

3. left ctrl z doesnt work

4. windows 10 left control doesnt work,
  5. left control not working,
  6. windows 10 ctrl v left doesnt copy,
  7. left ctrl doesnt work,
  8. left ctrl key not working,
  9. LEFT ctrl key doesnt work