Windows 10: Left CTRL key not working properly

Discus and support Left CTRL key not working properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since I left the insiders build of windows (because I got sick of bugs and constant updates) and completely reinstalled windows to the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JoshuaXD, Mar 18, 2021.

1. JoshuaXD Win User

Left CTRL key not working properly

Ever since I left the insiders build of windows (because I got sick of bugs and constant updates) and completely reinstalled windows to the latest stable version, the left control key won't work 100% of the time. The right one works just fine, and I've seen multiple threads on Google about it, but their solutions haven't helped.

I've tried the Ctrl+Alt+Fn solution that people said worked, it doesn't for me.
    As for drivers, they're all updated/installed and it still doesn't work. Unless I missed something, but I made sure to agonize over which drivers to install and install the right ones for hours. It could be possible I need a driver or something because reinstalling windows removed all drivers.
    I tried going into the device manager and uninstalling all the drivers in the keyboard section and restarting my PC, still doesn't work.

I don't think it's a hardware issue, meaning physically the Ctrl key is broken. It can't be because it was working 100% of the time before I went back to the stable version of windows.

What I mean by "not working 100% of the time" is this:

Before I used Ctrl+Alt+Fn:
    000000v0v00000vv0vvvv0000v00v000vvv0vvv0v0v0vvvvv000vv0v0v000vvvv0v00vv000v000vvvvvvv0vv0vvvvv00v0vv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

After I used it:
    00000000000000000000000000000000v00000000000000000000000000000000000000v0000000vvv000v000v0v000v00v0 0vvvvv0v0vvvvvvvvvvvvv0v

Sorry for the spam, but the 0's is when the Ctrl in Ctrl+V worked and the Vs is when the Ctrl didn't work at all, it only recognized me pressing V. If it wasn't obvious, I had "0" copied to show the success rate of the left ctrl key. Every time I attempted to paste a "0" I would hold the ctrl key down and press V, then let go of both keys and try again, and so on.

So anyway, you can see even after one solution it sort of worked, then decided to stop. It should work ALL the time.

If you're wondering, my version of windows is: 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867)

Thanks in advance.

:)

JoshuaXD, Mar 18, 2021
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Both CTRL keys not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Did you make any changes in your computer prior to this issue?

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Method 1: To check if Ctrl keys work in Onscreen keyboard.

• Press Windows Key + R and type osk and hit Enter.
    Try using Ctrl keys and check if that helps.

if you still face the issue, try Method 2.

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Mar 18, 2021
  3. Left CTRL key only works together with the left SHIFT key

Hello,

Starting from today while I was using FL Studio to copy some musical notes I noticed Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V weren't working

I've opened the on-screen keyboard in order to check if the left CTRL key was working and pressing it alone doesn't show any input.

But. when I tried to first press the left SHIFT key holding it and then pressing the left CTRL key together. both keys showed input. (right CTRL key works fine)

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

I've already tried to uninstall the keyboard's driver and then restarting the PC but it didn't work.

Best regards,

Me

Cosmin Lucian Iacob, Mar 18, 2021
  4. AiruSun Win User

Left ctrl -c v f a h x, none is working for the left ctrl key, but totally working for the right ctrl key

Left ctrl -c v f a h x, none is working for the left ctrl key, but totally working for the right ctrl key. It's not a hardware

problem, because ctrl + mouse scroll works for zooming out/in webpages. Used a second new keyboard, same thing.

Tried the uninstalling keyboard drivers, didn't work. Please help! Thanks!

AiruSun, Mar 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Left CTRL key not working properly - Similar Threads - Left CTRL key

2. left Ctrl key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    left Ctrl key not working: I have recently discovered that whenever I try to use keyboard shortcuts i.e. ctrl + C, ctrl + Z, etc. with my LEFT control key, nothing happens. Instead, it will just type the letter I tried to use in the shortcut. So if I try to copy, it will enter a C. This is only...
  3. left Ctrl key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    left Ctrl key not working: I have recently discovered that whenever I try to use keyboard shortcuts i.e. ctrl + C, ctrl + Z, etc. with my LEFT control key, nothing happens. Instead, it will just type the letter I tried to use in the shortcut. So if I try to copy, it will enter a C. This is only...
  4. Left CTRL key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Left CTRL key doesn't work: On my Windows 10 Pro the left CTRL key doesn't work.For example, hitting CTRL+F on my browser to lunch "Find in page" doesn't do anything. BUT the right CTRL key works fine. Same for other functions such as CTRL+C and CTRL+V - they work just fine only with the right CTRL and...
  5. CTRL Keys not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CTRL Keys not working properly: Good day! I am currently using a LENOVO Ideapad Gaming 3 Laptop with Windows 10 installed. Around a week ago both of my CTRL keys stopped working properly. Steps that I have taken: 1. CTRL keys work properly on the On-Screen Keyboard, but it is far too inefficient to use...
  6. CTRL Keys not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CTRL Keys not working properly: Good day! I am currently using a LENOVO Ideapad Gaming 3 Laptop with Windows 10 installed. Around a week ago both of my CTRL keys stopped working properly. Steps that I have taken: 1. CTRL keys work properly on the On-Screen Keyboard, but it is far too inefficient to use...
  7. CTRL Keys not working properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Ctrl + Left/Right Arrow key not working properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ctrl + Left/Right Arrow key not working properly: Ctrl key and left and right arrow keys are not working in windows in whole sysytem, not only in ms office. In order to move from the begining of a word to to end of a word normally by pressing ctrl key first and then pressing right arrow key I have to press ctrl key 1st and...
  9. My left ctrl key is not working properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My left ctrl key is not working properly: I have a problem that has been following me from laptop to laptop. My left ctrl key stops working while I'm holding it and selecting a text or several files. Using the on-screen keyboard I can see this happening as I select files but if I don't select anything there's no...
  10. ctrl key not working properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ctrl key not working properly: hi guys so the problem is everytime when I press my ctrl key it does weird things like writing numbers and symbols to opening microsoft edge to toggling zoom when I'm on desktop and that's when I only press the ctrl key. can you please help me solve this problem? thank...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. right anf left control not work

2. left Ctrl left shift doesnt work on win 11

3. both left and right ctrl dont work

4. left control not working,
  5. left ctrl and alt key not working