Windows 10: Left-hand side start menu true customisation?

Discus and support Left-hand side start menu true customisation? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, back in the good old days of W7, you could pin an application to the start menu and it would appear on the left hand side and it would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yoinkster, Oct 5, 2015.

1. yoinkster Win User

Left-hand side start menu true customisation?

Hey guys,

back in the good old days of W7, you could pin an application to the start menu and it would appear on the left hand side and it would also offer a list of recently opened things within that application as a right arrow for ease of selection.

For example, within putty I have 2 saved sessions, when I pinned putty to the start menu in W7, it would pin the main program, but a right-arrow would accompany it and let me easily select Saved Session 1 or Saved Session 2 without having to launch putty manually. Similarly for something like notepad, you could pin that and it would come with an arrow and let you open your most recent opened documents without having to open notepad first and then selecting your text file. See attached W7 example png.

The W10 start menu does not let you do this at all. I can pin programs to the pig awful tiles section (please kill it with fire!) but critically it does not provide me with an easy method of selecting something within an app to launch via that app without launching that app first. It must be capable of doing something like it because the default File Explorer menu has the arrow and selection box.

The dirtiest hack I can come up with is somehow manually editing my MRU list but is it easier than that? Please tell me there's a reasonably well built in method for doing simple customisations to the W10 start menu! And if not, tell me how I can manually edit my MRU even though it throws the whole concept of recently used out the window if I'm just going to add stuff to it that I want.

Thanks for your time Left-hand side start menu true customisation? :)

:)

yoinkster, Oct 5, 2015

2. How to remove My documents icon from the desktop in windows 10?

alright that worked thank you, I was just nervous it was going to delete everything

I have a second question which is, is there a way to add a favorites section to the start menu on the left hand side where it says most used? I know how to pin items to the start menu, but that adds them to the right hand side where all the tiles are. I
    want it on the left side where the most used icons are

Thank you

michaelbank, Oct 5, 2015
  3. Revert back to windows 7 from windows 10

Yes there is, it is in the usual place at the left hand side of the taskbar it is not labelled start. It is an icon that looks like a window. Left click on it and you will see a start menu. Right click on it and you will see more options.

RobertUscroft, Oct 5, 2015
  4. yoinkster Win User

Ok, so thanks to this post How to Pin folder to start bar? - Windows 10 Forums

I have come up with a slightly better filthy hack.

you can navigate to C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and it has the shortcuts you've pinned in there. You can then edit the shortcuts to launch stuffs more effectively. So instead of having putty link to just putty, I can set it there to have some arguments. That's a start but still not perfect.

Any other ideas? Left-hand side start menu true customisation? :)

yoinkster, Oct 5, 2015
  5. I started using 'Windows Start 10' app to get around these frustrating start menu limitations. I would have prefered to use the stock Windows 10 start menu but it is pretty basic and doesn't even come up to the same level of functionality as in Windows 7.

Start 10 does all the old start menu did in Windows 7 and it seems to work as reliably as the old start menu too. Really cheap to buy, too (about 5 dollars). I will use it until Windows 10 comes with a usable, customisable start menu.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

squawksarah, Oct 5, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Classic shell allows this. (Oh, and it's free...). Also overcomes the limit to the number of shortcuts that amazingly still exists on the Win 10 start menu, which means many of my shortcuts present in Classic Shell exactly as they should be are not shown.

On the other hand, as you'll be aware, jump lists appear for shortcuts that are on hte LHS of Win 10's start menu.. but as you say, you can't pin things to the LHS of that. (I haven't found a way of altering the universal app shortcuts there either- one is misbehaving).

dalchina, Oct 5, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    I use Classic Shell and it works great.

Gary, Oct 5, 2015
  8. Left-hand side start menu true customisation?

Classic shell is free but it is very retro. If you want a look that is Windows 10 then Start 10 has this look. It also has the Windows 7 retro look if you prefer. As much as I love Windows 7 I don't want Windows 10 to have its old looking start menu.

squawksarah, Oct 5, 2015
  9. xpclient Win User
    I think you are spreading misinformation. Classic Shell has a Metro skin that does not have the retro look.

xpclient, Oct 6, 2015
  10. Spreading Misinformation??? Did you really say that? (I think you are dissing my right to an opinion. Possibly you are a troll?)

Classic Shell is what is says in the title - 'Classic'. 'Classic' = 'retro'. This 'classic' look in no way reflects the modern Windows 10 start menu, unlike Start 10. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Simply look at the image on the classic shell webpage and you will see it is a retro/Windows 7 start menu. That's all I am saying. If users want the Windows 7 retro look then FINE! I love Windows 7 but I have moved on to the newer Windows 10 look.

So if you want a Windows 7 look then Classic Shell would do fine. If you like the more modern Windows 10 look but want a configurable start menu I suggest Start 10.

squawksarah, Oct 6, 2015
  11. yoinkster Win User
    I don't think W7 counts as retro just yet, XP/W95 would be retro!
    But anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys, I was really hoping I could hax something useable together without having to resort to third party software though *Sad
    Before I bite the bullet and weep gently at my desk, does anyone else have any ideas on how to get actual useful functionality out of the W10 start menu as is?

Ta.

yoinkster, Oct 7, 2015
  12. xpclient Win User
    Sorry I didn't mean to troll. If you actually try Classic Shell and not just go by the screenshots on the website, you may see that it has a Metro theme. You can choose between the Metro look, Windows 7 look, XP look, 9x look. I assumed that you would have at least tried Classic Shell before saying it only has the retro Windows 7 look.

xpclient, Oct 7, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

The key thing you need is reliable functionality. The Win 10 start menu does not offer me that.
    1. It is presently limited to 512 shortcuts. I have more. In one drop-down menu under a sub folder in my start menu I see
    Help
    Help
    Help
    Help
    etc

then
    How to
    How to
    How to

- these are all shortcuts from subfolders of separate programs in my normal start menu from Win 8 - the sub folders themselves have been removed.
    2. The icons I assigned to the folders I created in my start menu are not expressed in the Win 10 start menu
    3. I want search to quickly and efficiently find sthg in my start menu. Maybe Win 10's can be configured like that- I can't be bothered finding out.

Conclusion:
    Classic shell does exactly what I want- and I'm sure other replacement start menus would do.

Oh, and yesterday I even put a Windows 'Orb' style start button back!

And did I mention I'm not interested in tiles in my start menu.. and I need a menu that expands in columns.

It's a matter of picking the tool that does the job, and one that you don't have to worry about.

And the Cortana icon in the LHS of the Win 10 start menu takes me to Store... and I can't fix that simply as it seems users have no convenient access to the LHS shortcuts. (Cortana, for what it's worth, does work).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Left-hand side start menu true customisation? - Similar Threads - Left hand side

2. Preview Pan on the left hand side.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview Pan on the left hand side.: Hello Microsoft Team,Is it any way we can see a preview pan on the left-hand side?I like to swap the Navigator and preview pan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pan-on-the-left-hand-side/05b9ea0f-0179-471c-8ef6-4400938073fe
  3. Preview Pan on the left hand side.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preview Pan on the left hand side.: Hello Microsoft Team,Is it any way we can see a preview pan on the left-hand side?I like to swap the Navigator and preview pan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pan-on-the-left-hand-side/05b9ea0f-0179-471c-8ef6-4400938073fe
  4. Preview Pan on the left hand side.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File browser has no left hand side menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File browser has no left hand side menu: I cant access any of my files, how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-browser-has-no-left-hand-side-menu/1dde27a2-252a-48e2-afb0-ab81d2f01a2d
  6. No left hand start menu!

in Windows 10 Customization
    No left hand start menu!: I am using the windows insider edition, and I would like to get rid of the start menu that the windows flag opens without tiles in it and have the tiles float on the desktop. Can this be done? Me 151559
  7. Customise Start Menu.

Customise Start Menu.: I have been mucking around creating a custom Win 10 Pro ISO. I have the Start Menu almost how I want it! [img] How can I . . . [1] How can I get rid of Start, Pinned Tiles, and All Apps. [2] Reduce the white area so when I click the Start Menu Windows Icon it only shows...
  8. Start Menu Customisation

Start Menu Customisation: I like having a decent list of most used apps on the start launch list in W7. I would change to [not] 'large icons' in the start customisation options, then set the start menu size to (say) 20 apps. Shaun posed a great solution to restoring the 9879-type 'resizable' start...
  9. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?: ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings. Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this...
  10. Expand the start menu (left side)

in Windows 10 Support
    Expand the start menu (left side): Perhaps I'm missing something but can the left side (non tiled side) of the start menu be expanded? If so, how? [img] I kind of find it a bit annoying that I can't expand that side out a little so I can easily read item titles. Thanks. 24456

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Where is the start menu on the left hand side