Windows 10: Left Mouse Button Selects but stays stuck you have to click again to end the selection

Discus and support Left Mouse Button Selects but stays stuck you have to click again to end the selection in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently updated two of my systems and now both computers have the same issues. All drivers are updated and selections are at default. When you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LazaroPerez1, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Left Mouse Button Selects but stays stuck you have to click again to end the selection

I recently updated two of my systems and now both computers have the same issues.

All drivers are updated and selections are at default.

When you select say any text click left mouse button to start our selection the select stays stuck you can release the mouse and where ever you are dragging the mouse right left up down continues to select, releasing the button doesn't stop the deselect you must left mouse click again to deselect.

Don't know what to do to fix this issue and it's now happening on 2 computers.

:)

LazaroPerez1, Jun 29, 2019

2. Mouse Button Selection

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

Please share the details.

• Are you facing similar with another app as well?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I would suggest to follow the methods given below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Hardware troubleshooter

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Hardware and Devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Devices.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel

• Run the Hardware and Devices

Method 2:
    update drivers

I suggest you to update drivers and check if that helps. If that issue persist please uninstall and reinstall latest drivers available in manufacturer website.

• Press “Windows + X” and select Device manger.
    • Select Display Adapter and expand the driver icon.
    • Right click on the driver icon and click on Update.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions to update the driver.

Method 3:Compatibility mode

If issue still persist suggest install latest available driver from manufacturer's website. If there are no windows 10 drivers then install the available driver in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps below on how to install driver in compatibility mode:

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Why does Windows 10 only allow the left mouse button for user selection on login screen?

No, the article doesn't help. We have changed the mouse settings on her login.

The problem is with the main screen on windows 10 (where the user accounts are listed).

• If you lock the account with the left hand mouse settings then the main screen will only accept right clicks to select other user accounts. (windows 10)

• If you lock the account with the right hand mouse setting then the main screen will only accept left clicks to select other user accounts. (windows 10)

• Both right and left mouse buttons should function to select user accounts regardless of which account was active last. This is how windows 8.1 functioned.

Would someone add this feature to windows 10 because it frustrates my children trying to use the computer?

DarinG_567, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Left Mouse Button Selects but stays stuck you have to click again to end the selection

Mouse Primary Button Selection

My laptop came with WIndows 10. Lenovo. I am left-handed, and always choose to have the right button as primary. Upon reboot, the selection returns to the left button being primary for my mouse and the touchpad. How do I make it permanent?

ArthurSloate, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

Left Mouse Button Selects but stays stuck you have to click again to end the selection

1. Left Mouse Button Selects but stays stuck you have to click again to end the selection - Similar Threads - Left Mouse Button

2. I am having trouble click left mouse and selecting text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am having trouble click left mouse and selecting text: I am trying to select text in documents and web pages. When I use the left click hold function on my mouse, the highlighted text does not remain highlighted. It takes my MULTIPLE attempts for it to select it. Windows 11 PRO: Dell Inspiron Computer IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU...
  3. I am having trouble click left mouse and selecting text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am having trouble click left mouse and selecting text: I am trying to select text in documents and web pages. When I use the left click hold function on my mouse, the highlighted text does not remain highlighted. It takes my MULTIPLE attempts for it to select it. Windows 11 PRO: Dell Inspiron Computer IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU...
  4. Files are being selected in explorer even after I release the left mouse button after click...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files are being selected in explorer even after I release the left mouse button after click...: When I go to select multiple photos from a file in explorer, even after releasing the left mouse button, my computer continues to scroll and select way more photos than what I intended. I inspect homes and sometimes have over 300 photos in a file, and need to select say, 20...
  5. Files are being selected in explorer even after I release the left mouse button after click...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files are being selected in explorer even after I release the left mouse button after click...: When I go to select multiple photos from a file in explorer, even after releasing the left mouse button, my computer continues to scroll and select way more photos than what I intended. I inspect homes and sometimes have over 300 photos in a file, and need to select say, 20...
  6. SELECTION CLICK

in Windows 10 Customization
    SELECTION CLICK: Good evening community, a few days ago that when I open any tab of Google or any program and click, I get a selection box like the white box in the image. Is there any way to remove that? [ATTACH]...
  7. Laptop Mouse Buttons and Selective Freezing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Mouse Buttons and Selective Freezing: I don't know where to begin with this so I'll keep it as simple as possible. I own a HP Laptop running Windows 10 that for some time was working fine, nothing out of the ordinary in terms of errors and all that. That is until recently. One day I turned on my laptop,...
  8. Mouse will not stay on left click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse will not stay on left click: Ever since my windows 10 was updated, I cannot use my left mouse. No matter how many times I switch it back, it defaults back to right click mouse. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-will-not-stay-on-left-click/538a4a2a-af8c-4325-9123-00417860cd63
  9. "Open With" select program don't stay selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Open With" select program don't stay selected: Hello... I have a Jpeg file and when I use Open With and select what program I want to use to open the file, put a check mark to always use this program it doesn't do such. It will open the file with the program I selected, but once I close the program and try to reuse it...
  10. Left click button no longer works when selecting the windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Left click button no longer works when selecting the windows: Suddenly when I turned on my machine, the left click button on touchpad will no longer work,right click works fine but no left click. This is also true for the touch screen. If I touch the window icon to open the menu, it changes color but does nothing. Things I tried:...