Windows 10: Left shift creating asterisk character, right shift creating comma?

Discus and support Left shift creating asterisk character, right shift creating comma? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everybody, I'm really stuck on this one. I have a lady who asked me to take a look at her laptop, which is an Asus Viviobook X540U. It's working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkstrike, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Left shift creating asterisk character, right shift creating comma?

Hi everybody, I'm really stuck on this one. I have a lady who asked me to take a look at her laptop, which is an Asus Viviobook X540U. It's working perfectly, but since last night, if you press the left shift key you get an asterix character and if you press the right shift key you get a comma character! Every other key and letter on the keyboard works perfectly, and I've checked all of the settings I can think of, and nothing looks changed? She said there was a Windows update last night, so I even went and removed all the updates that came in last night as well, and it's still doing it. I have noticed that when I plug in an external keyboard, it will still cause this glitch on the built-in keyboard, but it will not do it on the external keyboard that's plugged in... Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I don't think it's a physical fault with the keyboard, because if I go into the BIOS and type something in, say, a password field, the shift keys do not create characters there... Only under windows... Any help would be appreciated as it's driving her crazy! And I'm quite lost as I've never seen this before... Thanks!

:)

Darkstrike, Aug 13, 2021

2. Shift keys not behave as expected in windows 10 | HP elitebook

My shift keys are not behaving as expected. Please find following concerns.

• When press right shift key then prints q character.
    • When press left shift key then prints z character
    • When i need to print A it prints as qA
    I didn't change any settings or configurations.

Can anyone suggest to solve this issue. I'm helpless right now.

Isuru Udesh Hettiarachchi, Aug 13, 2021
  3. Switch keyboard layout with right Shift and left Shift

I see only LAlt-Shift, Grave Accent and Ctrl-Shift. The list of options is very limited.

I reckon I will have to use Ctrl-Shift and use right-hand side keys...

Xentrax [Vyacheslav Lanovets], Aug 13, 2021
  4. Jakob Win User

Left shift creating asterisk character, right shift creating comma?

Windows + Shift + right doesn't shift window to the right screen (shifting to the left works fine)

When I use Windows Key + Shift + left the active window jumps to the monitor on the left like expected Left shift creating asterisk character, right shift creating comma? :)
    But when I try to do it the other way around: Windows Key + Shift + right the window doesn't jump back to the right Left shift creating asterisk character, right shift creating comma? :( Nothing happens. Why? How can I fix this?

PS: I am using Windows 10 Version 1903 (64 bit) on my ThinkPad with two additional external monitors.
    Windows Key + right moves the window correctly to the right (step by step but not directly to the next monitor).
    Maybe the Windows Key + Shift + right was overwritten by something else? How can I find out?

Jakob, Aug 13, 2021
Thema:

Left shift creating asterisk character, right shift creating comma?

1. Left shift creating asterisk character, right shift creating comma? - Similar Threads - Left shift creating

2. Shift + A is not working with both left and right shift.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift + A is not working with both left and right shift.: The left and right shift key works with all other letters and numbers besides A. I can use caps lock to get uppercase A. But, I would prefer to use my shift key on A rather than caps lock. I have tried using another keyboard but still have the same issue. I have updated...
  3. Shift + A is not working with both left and right shift.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift + A is not working with both left and right shift.: The left and right shift key works with all other letters and numbers besides A. I can use caps lock to get uppercase A. But, I would prefer to use my shift key on A rather than caps lock. I have tried using another keyboard but still have the same issue. I have updated...
  4. Wins + Left Shift + Arrow Right is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wins + Left Shift + Arrow Right is not working: It's weird, problem only with left Shift and Right arrow. but Wins + Right Shift + Arrow is working well... i using new laptop Lenovo Thinkpad. Does anyone know why this is caused, and how to fix it?...
  5. Wins + Left Shift + Arrow Right is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wins + Left Shift + Arrow Right is not working: It's weird, problem only with left Shift and Right arrow. but Wins + Right Shift + Arrow is working well... i using new laptop Lenovo Thinkpad. Does anyone know why this is caused, and how to fix it?...
  6. Left shift and right shift functions are mixed up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Left shift and right shift functions are mixed up: My left shift used to be the key that I used for typing in capitals, however, after cleaning my keyboard with my computer on, oops, now my right shift is the only one that can be used to type capitals, does anyone know why this is caused, and how to fix it?...
  7. Display shifted to right and right part is on left side. "X" is not on left

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display shifted to right and right part is on left side. "X" is not on left: Display of windows all of a sudden shift to right and right side part screen is visible on the left side. Things get normal after a restart. I am using recommended display setting . Two photos on different dates. [ATTACH] [IMG] please help with the solution!...
  8. DISPLAY SHIFTS TO THE LEFT

DISPLAY SHIFTS TO THE LEFT: Whenever I restart the computer the display is shifted to the left, I can see it starting during the restart, the Dell logo is off center, to the left. I have to go into settings when it's back up then change the display resolution and then click revert to have where I want...
  9. Can cot type "comma" but "<" key is working (shift + comma)

Can cot type "comma" but "<" key is working (shift + comma): Can cot type "comma" but "<" key is working (shift + comma). Even on On-Screen Keyboard I'm not able to type "comma" Any advice? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-cot-type-comma-but-key-is-working-shift-comma/946d8fd4-a3a4-4f04-ba42-03342256895b
  10. Left shift not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Left shift not working: So I was deleting some applications I no longer use to free up space on my laptop. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but not long after, I discovered that my left shift key isn't doing anything. I know there's one on the right, but I never use it (I did in this...