Windows 10: Left shift key, caps lock, and tab key not working

Discus and support Left shift key, caps lock, and tab key not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; so basically im on my laptop and after an update i couldnt use left shift, tab, caps lock and windows key not working i already did go to safe mode,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by georgeelo, Sep 11, 2021.

1. georgeelo Win User

Left shift key, caps lock, and tab key not working

so basically im on my laptop and after an update i couldnt use left shift, tab, caps lock and windows key not working i already did go to safe mode, reset my pc over windows and usb stick and watched 1000 tutorials and still cant figure out what happend. Also i did go to bios outside of windows and it wouldnt work, i plugged an external keyboard and it worked. but i really want to use my laptop keyboard i need help!

:)

georgeelo, Sep 11, 2021
  2. druPW Win User

Left Shift, Caps Lock and Tab keys not working

Since update KB3149135 installed on my desktop the left shift, caps lock and tab keys no longer work.

Help would be appreciated.

druPW, Sep 11, 2021
  3. Left shift key, caps lock, and tab key not working after updating computer to windows 10.

Basically in what the subject says, those keys have just stopped working after updating to windows 10. My shift on the other side of the keyboard still works but that doesn't help much when the left side doesn't work, nor does my caps lock or tab key work.

AshleyThibodeau, Sep 11, 2021
  4. MiSt77 Win User

Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Sep 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Left shift key, caps lock, and tab key not working - Similar Threads - Left shift key

2. caps lock, tab and left shift key don't work! windows 10 and 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    caps lock, tab and left shift key don't work! windows 10 and 11: before i start, please forgive the non usage of caps writing this, but as the title says i'm struggling with my keyboard.i'm on a legion 5 laptop, on windows 10, and i was in the middle on a teams meet, sharing screen while running an unreal engine simulation when this...
  3. caps lock, tab and left shift key don't work! windows 10 and 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    caps lock, tab and left shift key don't work! windows 10 and 11: before i start, please forgive the non usage of caps writing this, but as the title says i'm struggling with my keyboard.i'm on a legion 5 laptop, on windows 10, and i was in the middle on a teams meet, sharing screen while running an unreal engine simulation when this...
  4. caps lock, tab and left shift key don't work! windows 10 and 11

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Shift, Caps Lock and F3 keys not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift, Caps Lock and F3 keys not working: I've been having this problem since about a week ago. The left Shift, Caps Lock & the F3 keys stop working randomly, I press any of them several times, they appear to be fine, and then one minute later they stop working again. It appears to be only those three keys that have...
  6. Left shift key, caps lock, and windows key not working

Left shift key, caps lock, and windows key not working: so basically im on my laptop and after an update i couldnt use left shift, tab, caps lock and windows key not working i already did go to safe mode, reset my pc over windows and usb stick and watched 1000 tutorials and still cant figure out what happend. Also i did go to bios...
  7. Keyboard keys not working on left side Left shift, tab, caps lock, tilde and esc key

Keyboard keys not working on left side Left shift, tab, caps lock, tilde and esc key: Hi, so I normally use an external keyboard when working with my laptop Gigabyte Aero 15 Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @2.80GHz, however recently I have started to use the keyboard on the laptop itself again, and have realised several keys don't work just the left column of keys...
  8. Left shift, tab and caps keys are not working on Windows 10

Left shift, tab and caps keys are not working on Windows 10: The left shift, tab and caps keys are not working on Windows 10. My keyboard driver is updated and so is my windows 10. Can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-shift-tab-and-caps-keys-are-not-working-on/c210a848-91f1-4493-90bb-2696793d20c9
  9. Caps Lock, left shift Shift, Tab and F3 not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Caps Lock, left shift Shift, Tab and F3 not working: I don't know when these keys stop working properly, but i suspect it's Epic Games causing the problem, as before that all keys are working. Before that only the E key has some slight problem due to I sometimes press E too hard while playing Minecraft. But for the keys that...
  10. Left shift key, caps lock, and tab key not working after updating computer to windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Left shift key, caps lock, and tab key not working after updating computer to windows 10.: Basically in what the subject says, those keys have just stopped working after updating to windows 10. My shift on the other side of the keyboard still works but that doesn't help much when the left side doesn't work, nor does my caps lock or tab key work....