Windows 10: Legacy accountancy application - icons disappear after recent MS updates

Discus and support Legacy accountancy application - icons disappear after recent MS updates in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Legacy accountancy application by Sage. Working fine under Windows 7 and Windows 10. The issue relates to the display of icons within the software.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MarkT_UK, Mar 26, 2020.

1. MarkT_UK Win User

Legacy accountancy application - icons disappear after recent MS updates

Legacy accountancy application by Sage. Working fine under Windows 7 and Windows 10.

The issue relates to the display of icons within the software. When the update is applied, the icons disappear.

PC is running Windows 10 build 1809. Issue related to installation of KB4532691 installed around February 18 2020

Installed the accountancy software on another PC using Win 10 build 1909. Same issue persists, but this build does not have updateKB4532691. On windows 10 build 1909, the update that breaks the application is KB4532693

When uninstalled the application runs fine.

Logged called with Microsoft and response is that this is a known issue and microsoft are working on it. Not fix time given.

Interim solution is to halt updates.

Updates halted for the maximum time allowed.

Update suspension time was reached and forced updates which updated Win 10 from build 1803 to build 1909. Issue with application reappeared.

Removed KB4537572 and KB4551762 and now the Sage accounts software works correctly again. The Microsoft definitions of these updates does not assist in identifying which update causes the issue.

I have postponed updates as I was instructed by Microsoft a month ago as a temporary fix.

I reopened the case with Microsoft to ask when the fix will be available, and the response I got back was not encouraging.

This is a key line-of-business application which for a number of reasons we can't upgrade. It is no longer supported by Sage, but has been running absolutely without incident for many years.

Can anyone in the community give comment? Has anyone else experienced icon display issues in any other applications since the recent set of updates?

:)

MarkT_UK, Mar 26, 2020

2. Windows Update does it again: Disappearing Desktop Icons

Icons disappeared after the update, i know it was one of te 80+ updates

The link i found on msdn is to audit the events that accounts do and i will hunt down which process does it. But they say this issue happens on monday, YES today is thursday and I was only logged in yesterday in morning for a short time and not again until today.

Damn you microsoft.

EDIT: I've set up the auditing for deleting and when it happens again it will trace what did it, need to wait a week or so.

RuskiSnajper, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Windows Update does it again: Disappearing Desktop Icons

Hello

After I updated a ton of security updates with care to only update the certain critical ones no anything else.

The hardcoded icons have disappeared during reboot, those icons that you drag out of start menu and it automatically creates it, and the network icon that you right-click in the start menu and select "show on desktop"

But there was also a freeze during the update process, when rebooted it re-do the stuff that it does at boot so i think it was fine , but the icon thing happend, it always has to be something.

I so hate the windows update, I haven't updated for half a year and now i did a manual careful update and I think i will never do it again for win7 EVER on this PC.

Icons keep disappearing after a certain period of days while several sessions passed. Let's say every 5 days or a week, 3 times now. I want to have my system stuff out like Control panel, add remove programs, all the sys stuff.

EDIT: Exact icons are "network" "sound" and "programs and features"

Found something it can be certain settings for icon cleanup

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/ada5d392-2af7-43c3-9191-08baf63f0098/

Stupid updates messing with my settings*Mad Legacy accountancy application - icons disappear after recent MS updates :mad:

RuskiSnajper, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Legacy accountancy application - icons disappear after recent MS updates

MS KB HOTFIX Released Today for Legacy Games/Apps

When you try to install or play certain legacy games (including some apps) that results in:

incorrect installations
    instability
    installs but functions incorrectly

then this KB hotfix maybe for you. This hotfix is released today making it a new hotfix from MS. This KB hotifx includes x86, x64 and ia64 (Itanium CPUs). Included in the link is the download location, the files that will be used to update your OS and the list of games that will now be properly supported. I do not know if it will fix games not listed.

source

Here are a few examples below (the list is pretty big):

• Halo 2 Enables the application’s functionality.
      Flight Simulator 2004 Enables the application’s functionality.
      Age of Empires III Improves user experience and provides a solution link when blocking issues occur.
      Warcraft III Enables the application’s functionality.
      Tiger Woods 99 PGA TOUR Golf Enables the application’s functionality.
      Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 Enables the application’s functionality.
      Tom Clancy’s HAWX Enables the application’s functionality.
      Battlefield 2142 Enables the application’s functionality.
      Perhaps I overlooked it but I didn't see BF2 *Frown Legacy accountancy application - icons disappear after recent MS updates :(
      Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories Improves user experience and provides a solution link when blocking issues occur.
      Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories Improves user experience and provides a solution link when blocking issues occur.
      and other games/programs found in the link above

EastCoasthandle, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Legacy accountancy application - icons disappear after recent MS updates

1. Legacy accountancy application - icons disappear after recent MS updates - Similar Threads - Legacy accountancy application

2. The application icon on the desktop disappears.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The application icon on the desktop disappears.: ,, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-application-icon-on-the-desktop-disappears/a3c0c3ce-96a5-4d6b-91f2-01daa84dc1fe
  3. The application icon on the desktop disappears.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The application icon on the desktop disappears.: ,, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-application-icon-on-the-desktop-disappears/a3c0c3ce-96a5-4d6b-91f2-01daa84dc1fe
  4. The application icon on the desktop disappears.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Disappearing Taskbar icons from recent w11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing Taskbar icons from recent w11 update: Icons are disappearing from the task bar from a recent windows 11 update. Only way to stop it, is remove the update. I can't believe Microsoft is trying to point the finger at individual PC's or video drivers. Too many having this issue to be other than an update issue....
  6. Disappearing Taskbar icons from recent w11 update

Disappearing Taskbar icons from recent w11 update: Icons are disappearing from the task bar from a recent windows 11 update. Only way to stop it, is remove the update. I can't believe Microsoft is trying to point the finger at individual PC's or video drivers. Too many having this issue to be other than an update issue....
  7. Administrative User Account Control disappeared after recent updates Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrative User Account Control disappeared after recent updates Windows 11: After some recent updates multiple systems in our school running Windows 11 Pro have lost access to the admin rights. It does not even show the place to add the password. Is this a faulty update?...
  8. Administrative User Account Control disappeared after recent updates Windows 11

Administrative User Account Control disappeared after recent updates Windows 11: After some recent updates multiple systems in our school running Windows 11 Pro have lost access to the admin rights. It does not even show the place to add the password. Is this a faulty update?...
  9. Applications/Icons Disappeared From Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Applications/Icons Disappeared From Desktop: Hi - So recently I logged into my computer and half of my desktop was empty. All of the folders, images, text files, etc. were gone and I am not sure how to get them back. I ran a virus check to see if that was the issue, but that was not the case. I also checked my...
  10. Icons on the desktop disappeared after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icons on the desktop disappeared after update: My Laptop got updated a couple of months ago and all the icons that were on the desktop went missing. There are still available under the desktop folder though. I am not able to bring them back to the desktop screen....