Windows 10: Legacy boots usb fine but UEFI can't recognize it.

Discus and support Legacy boots usb fine but UEFI can't recognize it. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So i have a laptop with windows 10 And i downgraded it to windows 7 thus i change uefi to legacy but since drivers are not compatible with win7 i tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Load, May 9, 2016.

1. Load Win User

Legacy boots usb fine but UEFI can't recognize it.

So i have a laptop with windows 10 And i downgraded it to windows 7 thus i change uefi to legacy but since drivers are not compatible with win7 i tried to clean install again in windows 10 using uefi but it cant be recognize unlike legacy. It always shows (no bootable device)

:)

Load, May 9, 2016
  2. NanoXen Win User

Is it possible to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode using the original USB stick?

Same problem here. I bought windows 10 home on USB stick. USB stick is recognized in Legacy BIOS mode only. In UEFI mode isn't visible. I made my own bootable usb drive - I copied files from Microsoft’s drive and it works fine – Legacy and UEFI mode woking.

Why original USB stick not working in UEFI mode? (tested on PC and notebook – both UEFI capable)

USB Stick is useless in this form...

NanoXen, May 9, 2016
  3. DDL43 Win User
    Intermittent Boot-up Problems Windows 10

I found that I was still in Legacy mode and changed to UEFI. There were two choices for UEFI and I wasn't sure which one to pick. After changing to UEFI, the only way I could boot was with the USB device in place. Without the USB, I was told there was
    no boot device available. I had to revert to legacy in order to boot up at all.

DDL43, May 9, 2016
  4. kongming Win User

You try change it to auto or change it back to legacy.
    Or according to your statement, format the drive again.

kongming, May 9, 2016
  5. Load Win User
    How to change it to auto? I tried to format the drive when i run the win10 usb in legacy. I format it then quit the installation then change the legcy to uefi but still wont work

Load, May 9, 2016
  6. Load Win User
    Also i clean install windows 7 and format hdd , so obviously i cant perform factory reset haha.

Load, May 9, 2016
  7. Is it booting from the thumb drive in UEFI Mode? How did you create your install media? Some devices will not install in UEFI mode if the thumb drive is formatted in NTFS.

alphanumeric, May 9, 2016
  8. kongming Win User

BIOS settings.

kongming, May 9, 2016
  9. Load Win User
    I have down the iso from microsoft site, and i burnt it using rufus. I didn't change anything from rufus setting before burning the iso .. but as i remember i saw nfts somewhere there.

10. USB must be fat32 for UEFI install media

see: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    6. To Create Bootable UEFI USB Flash Drive for Installing Windows 10 with UEFI

Slartybart, May 10, 2016
  11. alphanumeric, May 10, 2016
  12. That's odd ... I get this when I click on your link
    http://www.eightforums.com/attachments/browsers-mail/15458-send-file-via-email-untitled4.png

Here's what I think you wanted:
    UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
    Scroll down to:

Legacy boots usb fine but UEFI can't recognize it. [​IMG]
    OPTION TWO
    Legacy boots usb fine but UEFI can't recognize it. [​IMG]
    To Manually Create a Bootable UEFI USB Flash Drive

Slartybart, May 12, 2016
  13. Legacy boots usb fine but UEFI can't recognize it.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Legacy boots usb fine but UEFI can't recognize it. - Similar Threads - Legacy boots usb

2. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  3. UEFI does not recognize USB Boot drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI does not recognize USB Boot drive: Hi. I am trying to re-install Windows 10 (Version not sure) from USB flash drive on Lenovo Ideapad 100s. The boot drive was configured with MS Media Creation Tool. I can enter UEFI/BIOS with the Novu button in the Boot Option Menu but the flash drive is not recognized under...
  4. Legacy or uefi boot?

Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  5. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  6. Error Legacy Boot of UEFI Media

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Error Legacy Boot of UEFI Media: I need to install windows on my laptop and this screen popped up when I tried to boot it from a USB. I looked up how to fix this error but I don’t know how to safely exit this screen and get back to my desktop. Would greatly appreciate any help! [IMG]...
  7. UEFI versus Legacy Boot

UEFI versus Legacy Boot: I just purchased a refurbished PC that I an very happy with but I would like to know how to have this PC use the Legacy Boot rather than the UEFI. Is this a realistic possibility? I would like to multi-boot Windows 10 Pro with Ubuntu 18.04. It looks as if it is a simple...
  8. Can't boot in UEFI, only in Legacy, after clean W10 install from USB

Can't boot in UEFI, only in Legacy, after clean W10 install from USB: Hey folks, i need your help (again)... I had to reinstall Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire. The "Upgrade Tool" failed repeatedly. I chose to install clean from an ISO to USB using Rufus. Not knowing the configuration of this laptop, i did a search and found instructions on how...
  9. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  10. Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI: HI, I have been problem in My Notebook pavilion AB-029TX , So i decided to clean install windows. I downloaded Media Creation and created ISO then using rufus I created bootable USB, Here Something happened I inserted USB then in BIOS menu it wasn't showing us so I changed...