Windows 10: Legacy or uefi boot?

Discus and support Legacy or uefi boot? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SandyPlayz86, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Legacy or uefi boot?

I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd.

the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready"

I believe the bios used to be set at uefi when i was given it and when the same hdd was installed.

I tried removing the wifi chip to get past, but that only made me have to reinstall, is it because its still using legacy instead uefi? Or what?

:)

SandyPlayz86, Apr 21, 2021

2. UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

I recommend you stick with legacy install instead to avoid any compatibility problem hardware or software. Uefi have the speed advantage for boot up but I don't find it to be a good trade-off for the compatibility problems that appeared. Secure boot for uefi is a pain if you decide to install multiple os as the other os is "locked" out. I used uefi for my previous install it is a lengthy install selecting the correct bios setting without borking the install. I'll move to uefi if I don't have a need for multiple os or legacy things. So far I seem to need it.

MIRTAZAPINE, Apr 21, 2021
  3. P4-630 Win User
    UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

I just found out I'm running at "Legacy" boot mode.
    Are there any downsides running my Skylake system in "Legacy" boot mode?

I don't really want to reinstall windows.
    Also I have no problems with my SSD, speeds are as they should be.

Just booting up my system takes some time, maybe it just would be faster booting with UEFI?
    My Asus Gaming laptop is booting up faster.
    If thats the main difference *Oh Well Legacy or uefi boot? :eek:hwell:

P4-630, Apr 21, 2021
  4. Legacy or uefi boot?

Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI

Hi HannanShaikh,

You can convert your Legacy mode drive to UEFI boot anytime, visit this link:
    Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style
    for a comprehensive guide to reformat your hard disk to boot it to a UEFI mode.

The option to "Boot the PC to the DVD or USB key in UEFI mode" is also provided there.

Make sure that you use the same USB drive which already matched the edition of Windows 10 for your computer.

If you continue to have this issue even after performing the above steps, please reply to this thread. The system will notify me so I can get back to you and provide you more answers.

Johann Eva, Apr 21, 2021
Thema:

Legacy or uefi boot?

1. Legacy or uefi boot? - Similar Threads - Legacy uefi boot

2. Legacy or uefi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Legacy or uefi: Windows 10 installing in legacy mode, or uefi but I don't have uefi option, how to proceed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/legacy-or-uefi/ba2be4e1-69fc-4380-ab55-c56b63533ea8
  3. Legacy or uefi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Legacy or uefi: Windows 10 installing in legacy mode, or uefi but I don't have uefi option, how to proceed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/legacy-or-uefi/ba2be4e1-69fc-4380-ab55-c56b63533ea8
  4. Legacy to UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Legacy to UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to use UEFI mode, currently I am using Legacy mode. When I change to UEFI in Bios it doesn't boot to hard drive, USB and DVD drive. And my hard disk is MBR. Help me!...
  5. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  6. Error Legacy Boot of UEFI Media

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Error Legacy Boot of UEFI Media: I need to install windows on my laptop and this screen popped up when I tried to boot it from a USB. I looked up how to fix this error but I don’t know how to safely exit this screen and get back to my desktop. Would greatly appreciate any help! [IMG]...
  7. UEFI versus Legacy Boot

UEFI versus Legacy Boot: I just purchased a refurbished PC that I an very happy with but I would like to know how to have this PC use the Legacy Boot rather than the UEFI. Is this a realistic possibility? I would like to multi-boot Windows 10 Pro with Ubuntu 18.04. It looks as if it is a simple...
  8. legacy / UEFI

legacy / UEFI: I have a backup made on the same machine that I am trying to restore from and it will not restore telling me that the system cannot restore a legacy backup on a UEFI machine. Running windows 10 pro. Can this be fixed and why did it happen?...
  9. Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI: HI, I have been problem in My Notebook pavilion AB-029TX , So i decided to clean install windows. I downloaded Media Creation and created ISO then using rufus I created bootable USB, Here Something happened I inserted USB then in BIOS menu it wasn't showing us so I changed...
  10. UEFI or Legacy?

UEFI or Legacy?: So i went for a clean Windows 10 installation on my Aspire E13. To boot from USB i had to switch from UEFI to Legacy, otherwise the USB drive would not be listed. However. After the installation was finished my touchpad was not even recognized, i mean, i was not even...