Windows 10: legacy / UEFI

Discus and support legacy / UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a backup made on the same machine that I am trying to restore from and it will not restore telling me that the system cannot restore a legacy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JimGager, Dec 31, 2018.

1. JimGager Win User

legacy / UEFI

I have a backup made on the same machine that I am trying to restore from and it will not restore telling me that the system cannot restore a legacy backup on a UEFI machine. Running windows 10 pro. Can this be fixed and why did it happen?

:)

JimGager, Dec 31, 2018
  2. 72westy Win User

Legacy to UEFI

I'm debating moving to UEFI form my now legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) the mother board is a GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev1.0 on the the following link it shows a UEFI BIOS U1J )UEFI BIOS)

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68XP-UD3-rev-10#support-dl-bios

Currently I'm running the legacy F10 BIOS. Does installing the UEFI BIOS automatically take care of everything to get to the UEFI BIOS? Installing the UEFI BIOS following the instructions using the Q-flash method GIGABYTE How to Reflash Motherboard BIOS

What's steps do I take and in what order?

Much appreciated

72westy, Dec 31, 2018
  3. Quick UEFI/Legacy question

I think it used to say, BIOS mode UEFI, but could it be on legacy because my sapphire hd 7970 only have legacy, gigabyte hd 7970 have uefi?

HarvesterOfSorrow, Dec 31, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

legacy / UEFI

Legacy to UEFI vostro 1015

Hi Maniiish,

This depends on the age of your Dell Vostro. It may not have UEFI if it pre-dates the introduction of UEFI BIOS.

There is no security issues with installing Windows 10 on an old Legacy BIOS system.

In fact I always turn off UEFI and go for Legacy BIOS as I find it is easier to repair Windows if the need arises with a Legacy BIOS setup

Windows 10 will install onto either UEFI or Legacy BIOS with no problems . . .

DaveM121, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

legacy / UEFI

1. legacy / UEFI - Similar Threads - legacy UEFI

2. I will change my graphic card / doubt about legacy / uefi bios

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    I will change my graphic card / doubt about legacy / uefi bios: Hello guys. This is my pc. - Amd Phenom ii X6 1090 T - 12 GB RAM - GTX 460 MSI 1GB - Motherboard Asus M4A87TD/USB3 Let me explain you guys, on many forums i have read that many guys have problems with some NVIDIA OR AMD cards, because of legacy/uefi bios, because some...
  3. Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.: Hello! I have a mid-2011 iMac with which I am dual booting windows 10 and macOS high sierra. Since it is not compatible with bootcamp, I made a bootable usb drive and used that instead. This all worked very well except for that Windows does not recognize my sound card. I...
  4. Back from UEFI to Legacy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Back from UEFI to Legacy: Hello, How we can back from UEFI to Legacy Bios? Just we need to change BIOS setting? or we need to change some setting in WinRE? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-from-uefi-to-legacy/e4f4fea1-fe1b-49d0-b70c-433c198dc55d
  5. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  6. How to change Legacy to UEFI without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Legacy to UEFI without reinstalling Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Some new generation motherboards for PCs and Laptops bring in support for both UEFI or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface as well as BIOS or Basic Input Output System. The main advantage of UEFI over the traditional BIOS is the fact that UEFI supports a...
  7. I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select...: Hi, Long story short, my computer won't boot anymore, I've got the infamous "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message after I changed from Legacy Bios to UEFI. The long story is that I bought a new SSD drive, I wanted to run my OS from the new drive (as opposed to...
  8. Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE

in Windows 10 News
    Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Compared to BIOS, Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) makes the computer extra secure. If your laptop supports UEFI, you should use it. However, at times, the legacy BIOS is still useful. An example – if you’re booting from a network [...] This post...
  9. UEFI or LEGACY - System Slow Ever Since The Changeover

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI or LEGACY - System Slow Ever Since The Changeover: Hi There This issue goes back to a couple of years when I changed LEGACY to UEFI. Immediately after that I noticed that the PC was slow in booting (Dell Latitude E6420 running W 10 Pro 6 Bit). However, this has become very noticeable since even though up till now I ignored...
  10. drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI: I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but stops whiting a few seconds stating that my drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI. Perform Diskpart...