Windows 10: Length Disappears in File Explorer Search

Discus and support Length Disappears in File Explorer Search in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there... a problem just developed a couple of days ago with only one of my external drives where the length time of the file no longer shows when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DSA_1, Sep 12, 2021.

1. DSA_1 Win User

Length Disappears in File Explorer Search

Hi there... a problem just developed a couple of days ago with only one of my external drives where the length time of the file no longer shows when I run a Search by name, although I can still see the length of the same file once I get out of the Search and return the normal folder view.Search working normally for other drives as well as my 'C:' and 'D:' drives.I am running Windows 10... tried re-indexing, yet no joy... Anyone has come across this one before?

:)

DSA_1, Sep 12, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 12, 2021
  3. Ravenlyn Win User
    Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Thank you, but I ended up doing it manually, and there were some I couldn't find. It just seems odd that since sometimes the file length in time is displayed (I'm not sure what magic makes it show sometimes and sometimes not when I'm generally doing the
    same thing) that Explorer can't sort that way.

Ravenlyn, Sep 12, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Search for music length:>hh:mm:ss

Hi, file explorer is unexpectedly helpful here:

Length Disappears in File Explorer Search [​IMG]

You'll be aware you can add length as a column in the file explorer pane- thus you can organise your search results:

Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)
    - that article, whilst generally true, is a bit out of date. I haven't yet seen anything later.

HowtoGeek on search does include length:
    Learning Windows Search: Use Advanced Query Syntax to Find Everything

Properties can be used to edit metadata, (although not so many as shown by default) but not basic attributes like that.

Suggest running such files through a converter.

dalchina, Sep 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Length Disappears in File Explorer Search - Similar Threads - Length Disappears File

2. Search Windows Explorer for Videos by length

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search Windows Explorer for Videos by length: I want to search a given location for all videos less than 20 minutes long. I dont see how I can put that variable in. Just short medium long.......
  3. Search Windows Explorer for Videos by length

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Windows Explorer for Videos by length: I want to search a given location for all videos less than 20 minutes long. I dont see how I can put that variable in. Just short medium long.......
  4. Search Windows Explorer for Videos by length

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 file explorer search filename length problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 file explorer search filename length problem: I think i found a bug in the file explorer search function of Windows 10 64 bit up to date but dont know the build.When I browse to a file on my usb harddrive NTFS which is 2 directories deep with a driveletter and filepath length of 12 characters i can rename the file to a...
  6. Win10 file explorer search filename length problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 file explorer search filename length problem: I think i found a bug in the file explorer search function of Windows 10 64 bit up to date but dont know the build.When I browse to a file on my usb harddrive NTFS which is 2 directories deep with a driveletter and filepath length of 12 characters i can rename the file to a...
  7. File Explorer Icons Spacing Length

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer Icons Spacing Length: Good morning everyone.. i need help to reset my file explorer's look back like before, please.. The space between files and folders is not auto tight anymore.. it's too long / big, omg, it's so do annoy me.. Does any know how to fix it, any assistance would be greatly...
  8. File Explorer Disappearance

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Disappearance: Good Day, Background info is that I took the plunge and put an SSD in my computer. Since it has been a long time, I decided to go for a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Using the media creation tool I obtained a Windows 10 Pro N in 64 bit and installed it. Do not know if it...
  9. show length of .flv files in explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    show length of .flv files in explorer: It only shows the length of mp4, mpg, and wmv files. 50899
  10. file explorer disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer disappears: Goodmorning everyone, I have a problem at the office and I hope you can help me fix it or tell me it's a windows 10 bug or something *Smile We have several users that have documents on a network share with a very long UNC pad. When they open the document, the document...