Windows 10: Lenovo 100S-11IBY screen doesn't wake up from sleep (Black/blank screen)

Discus and support Lenovo 100S-11IBY screen doesn't wake up from sleep (Black/blank screen) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Had to wipe out the old Windows 10 Home version on this computer as after a Windows Update session over a year ago. BitLocker decided to encrypt the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SupplyRabbit402, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Lenovo 100S-11IBY screen doesn't wake up from sleep (Black/blank screen)

Had to wipe out the old Windows 10 Home version on this computer as after a Windows Update session over a year ago. BitLocker decided to encrypt the primary drive the computer.

Was never asked where to store the recovery key to save is so I could get in after being prompted on bootup to enter a BitLocker recovery key.

Only solution was to reinstall Windows 10. It was a pain and lose of all the files stored on the computer.

I was able to create a bootable EFI USB key using the Windows 10 MediaCreationTool1903 on a different computer, boot it, start Windows 10 installation, delete the old primary boot partition and reinstall Windows 10 version 1903 (OS Build 18362.356) only to be presented with this new problem. I have no idea what version the original Windows 10 Home was but it did not have this problem. But all that has nothing to do with my current problem.

First Sleep Mode Problem

Once the computer goes to sleep, the power profile is set to shut off the screen after 4 minutes and to sleep after 5 minutes when running on battery power, waking the machine is problematic.

After 4 minutes the screen turns off, if I press a key or touch pad the screen will come back on; however,

after 5 minutes when the computer goes to sleep - power light goes off indicating the computer has went to sleep, it will not. The power light on the laptop lights up as if it has awakened; however, the screen remains blank/black.

If I press the power button a proper amount of time (yet to be determined sometimes just a short press and release the screen will wake up but it takes a few seconds, other times I hold the button a couple of seconds and the screen awakes only to shut off again). Reading another post, the answer posted mentioned closing the lid and opening it again. This method to awaken the screen works! The screen wakes up every time. But, I should not have to shut the lid and open it. A keyboard or touch pad press should make it come back on.

Second Sleep Mode Problem

If I use the Start menu -> Power icon -> Sleep option, the power light does not go off but the screen does go blank. Press a key or move the mouse before the 5 minutes of the power profile actually puts the computer to sleep the screen lights up to display the main screen that is shown where one would be asked to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to login. Currently using a local account without a password for testing so never actually have to login move the mouse and that screen pans up to reveal my open applications.

Using this method to put the computer to sleep does not work! But, I can get back in until the power profile puts the laptop to sleep - power LED goes off. Strange!

Please, help

:)

SupplyRabbit402, Sep 18, 2019

2. Screens black after waking machine from sleep

Hi Anthony,

Does it only happen when waking up the computer from sleep?

To check for possible causes of this issue, we suggest you to run Power Troubleshooter. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • On the left side, click View all.
    • Click Power.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    If the issue still persists, you may update the Chipset driver from the device manufacturer.

Let us know how it goes.

Jesebel Ova, Sep 18, 2019
  3. Screen goes black and won't change till sleep

Basically, when I load up a game the screen goes black. The only way to get out of this is to put the computer to sleep and wake it up. After this there is a chance it will do it all over again.

This problem also seems to happen when I don't use my laptop for 30 minutes or whatever so it turns the screen off. When I wiggle the mouse or hit a key to wake the screen up, there is a chance it will be just black and I have to put it to sleep and wake it up and try again.

Ideas of what is going on? Bumped this on 3/2/2014 because I thought it was fixed a month or so ago but apparently not. Have tried to use ONLY manufacturer drivers with no luck. Updating to latest Nvidia drivers also provides no fix. Something I should do in the bios?

satindemon4u, Sep 18, 2019
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Lenovo 100S-11IBY screen doesn't wake up from sleep (Black/blank screen)

Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Sep 18, 2019
Thema:

Lenovo 100S-11IBY screen doesn't wake up from sleep (Black/blank screen)

1. Lenovo 100S-11IBY screen doesn't wake up from sleep (Black/blank screen) - Similar Threads - Lenovo 100S 11IBY

2. How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.: I’m not new to computers, but I’m having difficulty understanding what’s actually wrong with mine. The settings indicate I should be able to wake up my laptop from sleep by either the mouse or keyboard. Yet nothing works unless I hold down the power button. Which isn’t ideal...
  3. How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.: I’m not new to computers, but I’m having difficulty understanding what’s actually wrong with mine. The settings indicate I should be able to wake up my laptop from sleep by either the mouse or keyboard. Yet nothing works unless I hold down the power button. Which isn’t ideal...
  4. Windows gets a blank screen when waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows gets a blank screen when waking up from sleep: One day I left my laptop on my desk to go out of my working space for a while 5 minutes or so. When I came back to the desk I attempt to wake my laptop up from sleep, but all I get is just a blank screen with no cursor, and no lock screen appears. The only thing I can do in...
  5. Windows gets a blank screen when waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows gets a blank screen when waking up from sleep: One day I left my laptop on my desk to go out of my working space for a while 5 minutes or so. When I came back to the desk I attempt to wake my laptop up from sleep, but all I get is just a blank screen with no cursor, and no lock screen appears. The only thing I can do in...
  6. Windows gets a blank screen when waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Lenovo 100s stuck on black screen after reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lenovo 100s stuck on black screen after reset: Hi everyone, My in laws have been having problems with their latop running slowly. As they only ever us it for emails, I thought the best option was just to reset it. During the reset it got to 66% then said there were problems and it couldn't complete the action. From...
  8. [SOLVED but ???] Lenovo 100S-11IBY screen doesn't wake up from sleep (Black/blank screen)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [SOLVED but ???] Lenovo 100S-11IBY screen doesn't wake up from sleep (Black/blank screen): See Updates added to the bottom of this post for the fix info. I have no idea why it is now working! I had to wipe out the old Windows 10 Home version on this computer. After a Windows Update session almost a year ago, BitLocker decided to encrypt the primary drive of this...
  9. Lenovo Ideapad 100S-11IBY Factory reset does not work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lenovo Ideapad 100S-11IBY Factory reset does not work: My son purchased this over a year ago and stopped using it 6 months ago. The Micorsoft update assistant is trying to load but there is not enough room so it cancels. I had to uninstall but the it keeps trying to install. I decided to set it back to factory default and...
  10. Mouse not moving in Win10 Fall Creators Update on Lenovo 100s-11IBY

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse not moving in Win10 Fall Creators Update on Lenovo 100s-11IBY: Hello, After upgrading my PC to Fall Creators Update, I have experienced an issue. My mouse wont move if I don't move it for a few seconds. After pressing the start button, it moves. Is this a bug that I need to go back to Creators Update or is there drivers available?...