Windows 10: Lenovo 14W eMMC SSD Slow, ReadyBoost disabled, no pagefile.sys on USB.

Discus and support Lenovo 14W eMMC SSD Slow, ReadyBoost disabled, no pagefile.sys on USB. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello All, I had currently bought a Lenovo 14W for my son but I am underwhelmed with the performance of this PC. The CPU is always at 100%, the Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ru Ko, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Ru Ko Win User

Lenovo 14W eMMC SSD Slow, ReadyBoost disabled, no pagefile.sys on USB.

Hello All,

I had currently bought a Lenovo 14W for my son but I am underwhelmed with the performance of this PC. The CPU is always at 100%, the Disk access is always at 100% and if the RAM is 100% filled, the paging file runs extremely slow.

The system has 4gb eMMC drive and 4gb RAM embedded onboard.

I have purchased a Lexar USB3.1 Jumpdrive S47 64gb to assist to increase the performance as this system is not expandable.

Lexar USB Flash Drive 64GB
    75 User benchmarks, average bench 38%
    60GB free, PID 0cd1, Lexar Jumpdrive S47 USB 3.1 Low-Profile
    Operating at USB 3.2 Speed
    SusWrite @10s intervals: 42 43 43 43 43 43 MB/s
    Performing above expectations (83rd percentile)
    74.1%
    Very good
    Read 226
    Write 34.5
    Mixed 80.7
    SusWrite 42.9
    101% 96 MB/s
    4K Read 12
    4K Write 9.5
    4K Mixed 10.4
    721% 10.6 MB/s
    DQ Read 17.4
    DQ Write 17
    DQ Mixed 12.6
    1,071% 15.7 MB/s

The USB thumb drive is extremely fast and is actually faster than the eMMC drive by 2.4 times.

In Windows 10 build 1909, I tried to modify the Virtual Drives on the system properties to add the paging file onto the USB drive. The USB drive does not show up at all. I then tried Readyboost to enable it on the drive but then I get the error: This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost. ReadyBoost is not enabled on this computer because the system disk is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide additional benefit.

Now this is BS as I have tried another caching program called eBoostr and it is not really the same but it did increase the performance of Windows 10. The system was peppier, performed faster and the CPU and Disk 0 was under 95% usage.

My goal is the following:

Find a way via the registry to allow USB Thumb drives to be allowed to be used for pagefile.sys
    If the above fails, find a manual method to force enable ReadyBoost, Allow USB thumb drives to be enabled by force and see if it will provide a much needed performance boost. I have tried the current fixes for this however, since ReadyBoost is disabled by default due to SSD, no drives are listed in the registry for ReadyBoost.

Currently, the system must not reach its 3.8gb RAM limit otherwise the paging file becomes horrendous to the CPU, Disk and RAM performance..

Ideally, I would like to know if it is possible to "Build" my own Registry settings to enable the USB Thumb Drive Pagefile.sys

Thanks in advance for all that can assist with this.

:)

Ru Ko, Mar 22, 2020

2. Readyboost option for SD Card on Windows 10

In addition to the requirements listed in the previous answers, Windows will also disable ReadyBoost if your computer is already using a flash-based drive such as an SSD or eMMC drive. In these cases, ReadyBoost is unlikely to improve performanc.

Doug E. Cook, Mar 22, 2020
  3. ReadyBoost is Disabled

Hey guys. I have a small Windows Tablet running Windows 10 Home. The specs are listed below

Intel Atom Z3735G 1.33GHz

1GB of RAM

16GB eMMc storage

Intergraded Intel HD Graphics

Now my problem. I am attempting to use a 32 GB SanDisk USB 3.0 as a Readyboost Drive. I planned on using at least 2-3 GB of that drive. But when I go to the Properties of the drive, I do not see the ReadyBoost tab. What's going on? I checked the Services
    and SuperFetch is running, and when typing into Command Prompt "sc query rdyboost" I am told it is running. What do I do to get ReadyBoost working?

AlexanderWren, Mar 22, 2020
  4. Lenovo 14W eMMC SSD Slow, ReadyBoost disabled, no pagefile.sys on USB.

How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive

How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive.

You should get a certified ReadyBoost USB 2.0 or higher TD for faster speed transfer.

To use ReadyBoost in Windows 10, make sure that SuperFetch is enabled. ReadyBoost won't work if the SuperFetch service is stopped or disabled.

Go to THIS PC and right click the thumb drive and FORMAT>QUICK NTFS.

Now select properties.

Then select READY BOOST TAB.

Now set it up so you can use it for pagefile.

Lenovo 14W eMMC SSD Slow, ReadyBoost disabled, no pagefile.sys on USB. cec0b811-bed2-4573-9dc7-b359e9a3a1fc?upload=true.jpg

Now Restart PC

Go to pagefile and set it up and send it to another fresh formatted TD. After you set the pagefile, Restart PC again.

***To change or move the Pagefile go to:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System>>

(OR)

Right Click THIS PC on desktop.

Advanced System Settings

Performance>>Settings

Advanced>>Change

Uncheck - Top Box

Select pagefile location in list.

Custom - Min. 64MB - Max ???

OR

System Managed Size. (Recommended)

Set, Ok, Apply, OK, Apply, OK.

Restart PC

Now I have not used this in 10 years (Ready Boost), and actually forgot all about it until it just hit me.

ENJOY!

seahawks65, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

Lenovo 14W eMMC SSD Slow, ReadyBoost disabled, no pagefile.sys on USB.

1. Lenovo 14W eMMC SSD Slow, ReadyBoost disabled, no pagefile.sys on USB. - Similar Threads - Lenovo 14W eMMC

2. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  3. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  4. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost: Greetings all, Long story short, I enabled ReadyBoost on my old PC only to find out that it still uses the PageFile on the much slower HDD so its the same speed still !Question is : How can I force Windows 10 to put the PageFile itself on the USB ? Thank You in Advance ....
  6. PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost: Greetings all, Long story short, I enabled ReadyBoost on my old PC only to find out that it still uses the PageFile on the much slower HDD so its the same speed still !Question is : How can I force Windows 10 to put the PageFile itself on the USB ? Thank You in Advance ....
  7. PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost: Hello. I need to increase my pagefile beyond the free size of my SSD disk (which is small in a laptop). I need to perform some complex calculations (fitting some models with a lot of data in R) that need 400GB of RAM but my computer has only 16GB. Then I had the idea of...
  9. 32gb emmc to ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    32gb emmc to ssd: Hello! So i have made a clone on my 250gb ssd. I have set it as boot priority. Windows 10 still wants to update on the emmc insteas of the ssd. Is there a way to disable the emmc? Or to delere windows off of it? I only want to use the SSD from now on for everything. How do...
  10. C: pagefile .sys Degrag

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: pagefile .sys Degrag: How do I defrag my C: pagefile .sys my O&O Degrag Prof states that the files is 32G with a 97.71 degree of relative fragmentation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-pagefile-sys-degrag/1435a24e-30c1-43a8-9587-dbbac2c1216e"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. readyboost emmc

2. ready boost pagefile

3. lenovo 14w ready boost

4. lenovo 14 w slow