Windows 10: Lenovo C940 BSODs While in Modern Standby

Discus and support Lenovo C940 BSODs While in Modern Standby in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As per the title: When in Modern Standby mode for extended periods, the computer is crashing. I know this from SleepStudy reports I generated. See... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mike302, Jan 23, 2020.

1. mike302 Win User

Lenovo C940 BSODs While in Modern Standby

As per the title: When in Modern Standby mode for extended periods, the computer is crashing. I know this from SleepStudy reports I generated. See image below.

Lenovo C940 BSODs While in Modern Standby [​IMG]

This has happened 3 times in the last 4 days (only two of the instances are noted in the image above). The first time was after 1hr in Modern Standby, then again after 14hr, and once again today after 10hr. Notably, as seen in the image above, I tried to use the laptop after it had crashed, restarted, and then gone back to sleep on its own for 7hr, and I could not get the computer to start up again -- it simply wouldn't recognize any trackpad, keyboard, or powerbutton presses. I had to hold the power button for 15 seconds to drain the circuits, then press power again before it would come back on.

I've done the V2 mini dump report and attached for some assistance understanding what's happening.

Please help *Confused Lenovo's tech support are being useless, even though this is a new laptop bought direct from them!

Windows 10 Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

:)

mike302, Jan 23, 2020

2. Which Laptops support Modern Standby ?

I called the Microsoft Store, Dell Support and Lenovo sales support.

I asked which systems they had that supported Modern Standby (Consumer or Business Systems).

No one had heard of Modern Standby. The Microsoft Store person didn't even recommend the Surface Pro, which I found out through a PCmag Review, has Modern Standby but Microsoft Sales support did not confirm.

Thanks,

Steve

Paul.Review.2020, Jan 23, 2020
  3. t0yz Win User
    Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

4. Lenovo C940 BSODs While in Modern Standby

Modern Standby - slow wifi after wake

I have fast internet speeds over wifi when I connect to the network (approx. 600Mbps). If my machine goes to sleep (modern standby enabled) and I wake it up after a while, speed drops from the original speed to a pretty constant 20Mbps. If I disconnect from
    wifi and re-connect the speed is back to normal. None of the other machines in my environment show this behaviour, older windows based Lenovo think pad and mac devices have consistently good performance. This is the first windows-based device supporting modern
    standby and the only device showing the issue.

Lenovo x1 Carbon 7th gen, with Intel AC-9560, all drivers up to date and firmware current. Have been observing this for a while and several driver iterations now. If I disable modern standby and select linux mode in the bios for standby the speed is normal
    after wake up.

I did research lenovo and intel boards and this problem seems to be rooted in windows.

GoetzPfeifferling, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

Lenovo C940 BSODs While in Modern Standby

1. Lenovo C940 BSODs While in Modern Standby - Similar Threads - Lenovo C940 BSODs

2. Modern Standby and HDMI-CEC problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modern Standby and HDMI-CEC problem: Hello all,I have an issue with Modern Standby and HDMI-CEC-enabled devices. My Intel NUC 11 PC supports sending HDMI-CEC commands to power on/off devices connected to the PC I have an AV receiver and OLED TV when it goes to sleep or wakes up. This is configurable in BIOS....
  3. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  4. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  5. Lenovo C940 Fingerprint reader

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lenovo C940 Fingerprint reader: Hello, I have a new Lenovo Yoga. This is strange however, my fingerprint reader only works consistently when I am at my corporate office. When I take the laptop to my home office, it always has a problem recognizing my index finger signing in with windows hello feature? Any...
  6. Lenovo Yoga C940 Audio Problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo Yoga C940 Audio Problems: Hello, I recently ran into a problem with my Lenovo Yoga C940-14IIL Laptop. My speakers on the laptop will be at max volume 100 and the volume would sound very faint at 50% I can barely hear it. Watching any music or videos on it is difficult because I can barely hear...
  7. Lenovo C940 - Troublesome in Modern Standby Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Lenovo C940 - Troublesome in Modern Standby Mode: Hi all. Ongoing troublesome Lenovo C940 here. Latest primary symptoms: In modern standby mode, various background processes are incredibly active. This means, maybe 30%-50% of the time, I come back to a very warm laptop, or a hot, dead battery if it decides to do this while...
  8. Enable or Disable Network Connections while in Modern Standby on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Network Connections while in Modern Standby on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]With every newer generation of computers, these devices are getting mobile and faster. Chips are becoming smarter to serve faster wake up from standby, faster charging, more power efficiency and more. The newest generation of these chips supports the S0 [...]...
  9. BSOD hardware failure while playing modern games on Lenovo gaming laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD hardware failure while playing modern games on Lenovo gaming laptop: I have a Lenovo IdeaPad L340 Gaming Laptop that I just got at the last weekend of November this year. The specs should allow it to run modern games, at least on Low to Medium graphics settings. I was able to play The Outer Worlds from start to finish for 30 hours on mostly...
  10. No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device: I can't find any information about this, but did MS, for whatever reason, remove the toggle option on the WiFi settings to turn off WiFi during modern standby? The option isn't available anymore for my laptop. I am speaking about this option: https://i.imgur.com/jD6odQx.png...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. c940 modern standby