Windows 10: Lenovo Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in

Discus and support Lenovo Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My computer won't turn on unless its plugged into a power outlet connected to the charger. Even when the computer says its charged at 100%. Any advice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Aeriii, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Aeriii Win User

Lenovo Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in

My computer won't turn on unless its plugged into a power outlet connected to the charger. Even when the computer says its charged at 100%. Any advice on how to fix this?? Please help I'm not tech savvy at all.

:)

Aeriii, Jun 28, 2020

2. Laptop won't turn on if the battery is plugged in (black magic?)

Hi, I'm quite an expert and savvy about PC's and notebooks, I even repair hardware sometimes, but this problem is driving me nuts. I have a lenovo Y510P notebook, Windows 10. It's been working just fine all last 7 years, normally with the AC charger plugged in and the battery as well, but in "life mode", which charges the battery up to 60% and then it doesn't charge it anymore. So, the battery has been barely used, theoretically. Last week, suddenly, I turned on the laptop but it wouldn't do anything, it would stay dead, no charging light, no LEDs at all.

So, I unplugged the AC charger, removed the battery, plugged everything back again, but still, 100% dead, no charging lights, no LEDs, nothing. So I thought: ok, the battery is empty and the Lenovo AC charger magically died last night. I tried an ASUS charger with same voltage, nothing. I took the Lenovo AC charger, tried it on another notebook, worked just fine. So, the Lenovo charger was working fine. Then it must be the battery, I thought, somehow it's not only dead, but also faulty in a way that if it's even plugged in, it won't let the notebook boot up.

I removed the battery, plugged the Lenovo AC charger, pushed the ON button, and to my surprise, nothing, no response, completely dead. Then I did the opposite, plugged in the battery, removed AC charger, nothing, same result. I was starting to think the MoBo magically died last night. I removed the battery, and tried the Lenovo AC charger on another laptop to double check and it worked just fine. I was about to officially declare the Y510P 100% dead overnight, but I tried a few more times with just the AC charger, and suddenly, it turned on after 5 minutes trying. Wow, I was really bugged...
    What the hell was going on?
    The Lenovo AC charger works only at times?
    Also the battery is completely dead?
    Two major problems appearing overnight?

I started to turn the Y510P off, then turned it on back again several times. Worked every single time. So, it seemed it was the battery, which was faulty, but then, why it didn't turn on when it didn't have the battery plugged in a few minutes ago? Why it suddenly started to work?

So, I inserted the battery back again, that broke it again, laptop completely dead. Removed the battery, plugged in the AC, nothing, completely dead. OK, the battery seems to be so faulty it won't let the laptop boot up, but not only that, it will "infect" the laptop for a few minutes and even after being removed it won't let it turn on. Sounds like black magic. Tried and tried until it started to work again.

Now, I've been using the laptop without the battery, only on AC, for the last week, and it has turned on every single time. So, one could think it's simply the battery. But, can you explain to me why, after plugging the battery in and removing it, the laptop won't turn on for a few minutes, on AC and everything?

During this "dead" time after removing the apparently dead battery, I've tried to push the ON button to clear CMOS, but nothing, it really looks like the battery makes the laptop sick and dead for a few minutes, and then it recovers and can respond.

Any explanation?
    It could all be reduced to "faulty battery", but the "after dead" time doesn't fit, or at least I don't understand it and doesn't make sense to me.

What I can guarantee is that the charger works fine since I've been turning the laptop on during a whole week a lot without a single problem. Today I plugged the battery, one week later, and broke the laptop again, with the corresponding "dead period", until it works fine again on AC.

rambomhtri, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Lenovo laptop not booting after upgraded to Windows​10

Follow these steps to attempt to power reset the laptop:

• Turn off the laptop.
    • Disconnect all peripheral devices that are plugged into the laptop.
    • Unplug the AC adapter.
    • Press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds.

You may need to do the steps repeteadly until you get the recovery options.

Good luck.

Ruz San, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Lenovo Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in

Laptop won't turn on if the battery is plugged in (black magic?)

If by PSU you mean the external notebook charger, it works, I already said that I tested it in another laptop and it worked just fine. Oh, I forgot to mention a weird thing, talking about this. When I connect ANY charger during the "I'm at Limbo" time, right after plugging in the battery and removing it, which lasts like 5 minutes, that charger I connected gets "poisoned"?

I checked the volts and it normally has 20V or so. The "poisoned" charger reads 4V or if I remember correctly, even less. During that time, no matter where I connect that charger, it won't work.

Let me tell the whole story. I have charger A with the laptop A (lenovoY510p), and I have charger B with the laptop B. The B product works perfectly fine, it's an ASUS product and works just like any other working laptop.

OK, the process is this:
    I plug in the battery A in the laptop A, no charger A plugged in. Turn it on, seems completely dead, no LED's.
    I read the charger A and has 20V or so. Plug charger A in laptop B to check if it works, and of course it works.
    Plug charger A in laptop A. Turn it on, completely dead.
    I remove battery A from laptop A, turn it on again, completely dead.
    I remove charger A from laptop A, proceed to plug charger A in laptop B. Laptop B doesn't get charged.
    I unplug charger A from laptop B, read the charger A and has really low voltage, 4V or mV, I don't remember actually.
    Wait a few minutes.
    Plug in charger A in laptop A, battery A remains unplugged. Turn it on, nothing, dead.
    Wait a few more minutes, try to turn it on several times, until suddenly, it turns on.
    I turn it off, and then on, several times, works fine every single time.
    The exact same thing happens if instead charger A I try charger B.

Whenever I plug in battery A in laptop A, it goes Limbo again.

rambomhtri, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Lenovo Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in

1. Lenovo Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in - Similar Threads - Lenovo Laptop won't

2. Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%: Hello! I had bought my laptop a little over 2 years ago. I had been playing a game on it and it shut off in the middle of it. After tinkering with it, it will not turn on or display the light on the power key unless it is plugged in. I made sure it was at full charge and the...
  3. Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't turn on unless plugged in even though the battery is at 100%: Hello! I had bought my laptop a little over 2 years ago. I had been playing a game on it and it shut off in the middle of it. After tinkering with it, it will not turn on or display the light on the power key unless it is plugged in. I made sure it was at full charge and the...
  4. My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in

My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in: It says that the battery is full so I unplug the charger and it turns off straight away and won't turn back on unless I plug it back in. I got a new battery because I thought that was the issue but its doing the same thing. My laptop is an acer...
  5. My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in: It says that the battery is full so I unplug the charger and it turns off straight away and won't turn back on unless I plug it back in. I got a new battery because I thought that was the issue but its doing the same thing. My laptop is an acer...
  6. My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Laptop won't start unless plugged in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't start unless plugged in.: I recently had the battery on my laptop a Lenovo T14s Thinkpad replaced, and have had problems with getting it to start. When I turn it on, it shuts itself off a few seconds into the startup screen unless it is connected to a charger. After startup it can run off battery...
  8. Laptop won't start unless plugged in.

Laptop won't start unless plugged in.: I recently had the battery on my laptop a Lenovo T14s Thinkpad replaced, and have had problems with getting it to start. When I turn it on, it shuts itself off a few seconds into the startup screen unless it is connected to a charger. After startup it can run off battery...
  9. Laptop won't start unless plugged in.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Asus Laptop Will not turn on unless plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Asus Laptop Will not turn on unless plugged in: I am just wondering why my laptop doesn't work unless if it is plugged in. Its battery capacity is 22 792 from 38000mWh. I hope my concern will be addressed. Thank u so much.BATTERY 1NAMEASUS BatteryMANUFACTURERASUSTeKSERIAL NUMBER-CHEMISTRYLIonDESIGN CAPACITY38,000 mWhFULL...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lenovo s2ux00 wont turn on unless plugged in

2. my lenovo charged 100 but not open unless plug in

3. Lenovo laptop only works when plugged in