Windows 10: Lenovo Legion 5 wakes from Sleep even after disabling waking

Discus and support Lenovo Legion 5 wakes from Sleep even after disabling waking in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Lenovo Legion 5 (82AU00BVUS) keeps waking from sleep, even though I've taken all sorts of steps to prevent it. WinVer: 20H2 (19042.867) System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by technonaut, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Lenovo Legion 5 wakes from Sleep even after disabling waking

My Lenovo Legion 5 (82AU00BVUS) keeps waking from sleep, even though I've taken all sorts of steps to prevent it. WinVer: 20H2 (19042.867)

System bios info:
    SMBIOSBIOSVersion
    EFCN38WW

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Disable wake timers

I completely disabled wake timers in Power Options:

Lenovo Legion 5 wakes from Sleep even after disabling waking [​IMG]

2. Checked wake_armed devices

I checked which devices are "wake_armed" in powercfg. Armed devices include the keyboard, and the ethernet port of an external dock, which is strange because when I look in device manager at that ethernet port, the enable wake is disabled, so something isn't adding up right.

3. Check Device Manager

In Device Manager, I checked on the eXtensible Host Controller that you see mentioned above as the cause of the last wake event. There's only one such controller:

And the device properties:

As you can see, according to device manager properties, the device isn't allowed to wake up the computer - and yet it did.

And remember how it said that the Plugable ethernet was wake_armed? Well check this out:

4. Check Event Viewer

Event viewer confirms the eXtensible host controller as the cause of the wake event:

The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2021‎-‎03‎-‎25T21:37:43.268198000Z
    Wake Time: ‎2021‎-‎03‎-‎25T22:46:01.919720100Z

Wake Source: Device -Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
    Summary

1. In power settings, wake from sleep is disabled entirely.
    2. The system is being woke by a device that, in device manager, shows isn't even allowed to wake up the computer.
    3. Another device (plugable ethernet) shows in powercfg that it is wake_armed, even though its power configuration in device manager says the opposite.

Something crazy is going on here. How do I stop this computer from waking up?

:)

technonaut, Mar 26, 2021

2. Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

I've also battled with sleep/wake issues over the years, and from experience have learned that trying to find, or rationalise, the root cause is a waste of time. All you need is `powercfg`.

`powercfg -devicequery wake_armed` from an Administrator PowerShell window/Command Prompt will give you a list of all devices that can possibly wake the PC. This command is interesting because very often, it will show devices that you'd never expect being able to wake your computer. I think in one instance I had the chipset device listed!

`powercfg -devicedisablewake "device_name_from_device_query"`will prevent said device from ever waking the computer. This command is 100% the only thing I have found that will resolve sleep/wake problems. Updating drivers, unplugging peripherals, switching to a cleaner power supply (UPS), changing ethernet cables... none of those have helped, yet`powercfg -devicedisablewake` has done the trick.

Note that occasionally, devices you have disabled wake for may start waking up the PC again - this happens if you plug a USB device into a different port, or occasionally when drivers are updated, because Windows sees it as a new device. In that case rerun `powercfg` to find and disable that device again.

If this does not resolve your wake issues, I would start looking at power fluctuations.

Assimilator, Mar 26, 2021
  3. Windows 10 -- Cannot disable the mouse from waking computer from sleep

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

Follow the steps below to try to disable device to wake the computer:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type powercfg –devicedisablewake and press
      Enter.

• Restart the computer and check if issue persists.
    Method 2: Disable the Wake timers

Follow the steps below to Disable the Wake timers:

• Press Windows key +X.

• Click on Power Options.

• Click on edit Plan Settings and click on
      Change advanced power settings.

• Expand Sleep option and “Allow wake timers" and set this to
      disable.

• Restart the computer and check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Mar 26, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Lenovo Legion 5 wakes from Sleep even after disabling waking

Stay in sleep and wake with spacebar

Hi, you can disable hibernation if you wish:
    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

This depends what devices are able to wake your PC. You can list these:

Powercfg /devicequery /.......
    Description:
    Returns a list of devices that meet the specified criteria.

Parameter List:
    <QUERYFLAG> Specifies one of the following criteria:

wake_from_S1_supported ....Return all devices that support waking the system
    from a light sleep state.
    wake_from_S2_supported ....Return all devices that support waking the system
    from a deeper sleep state.
    wake_from_S3_supported ....Return all devices that support waking the system
    from the deepest sleep state.
    wake_from_any ......................Return all devices that support waking the system
    from any sleep state.

S1_supported List devices supporting light sleep.
    S2_supported List devices supporting deeper sleep.
    S3_supported List devices supporting deepest sleep.
    S4_supported List devices supporting hibernation.
    wake_programmable List devices that are user-configurable to wake
    the system from a sleep state.
    wake_armed List devices that are currently configured to
    wake the system from any sleep state.
    all_devices Return all devices present in the system.

Examples:
    POWERCFG /DEVICEQUERY wake_armed

dalchina, Mar 26, 2021
Thema:

Lenovo Legion 5 wakes from Sleep even after disabling waking

1. Lenovo Legion 5 wakes from Sleep even after disabling waking - Similar Threads - Lenovo Legion wakes

2. Mouse wakes up laptop from sleep even when "Allow this device to wake the computer" is disabled

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse wakes up laptop from sleep even when "Allow this device to wake the computer" is disabled: [ATTACH] I have a laptop, running Windows 10. I wanted to keep my usb mouse (Logitech G430) from waking it up from sleep mode since even slightly bumping against my desk seems to move the mouse enough to wake the laptop up. I followed this guide, basically everything...
  3. Waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Waking from sleep: Every time I put the computer into sleep mode and then wake it up, it says no contact with the monitor after I turn on the monitor. I then have to leave the monitor on and put the computer to sleep via the keyboard and wake it up, it then sees and connects with the monitor....
  4. Windows 10 hibernate + unwanted wake up issues [Lenovo Legion 5]

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 hibernate + unwanted wake up issues [Lenovo Legion 5]: Dear Community Gurus, Happy New Year, hope everyone is staying healthy. Could you please advise with my hibernation issues on Win 10 Pro? We've been unable to tackle this w/ Lenovo support in the last 2 weeks. Situation: - Brand new Lenovo Legion 5. - I added an extra...
  5. Waking from sleep?

Waking from sleep?: I understand how to stop windows waking from sleep but there are so many steps. By this I mean, the IMO, the sleep function in windows, by default is not fit for purpose. You have to make sure WOL is disabled, sleep timers, usb devices disabled allowing to wake are disabled....
  6. Waking from sleep

Waking from sleep: Since the last update my mouse won't wake my pc from sleep - i have to press the reset button. I've checked power options etc Help, please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waking-from-sleep/16c5f540-8199-48ba-a97b-971670323493
  7. Wake from sleep

Wake from sleep: I’ve set my windows pc many times to only wake from sleep when a key from my keyboard has been pressed, not on mouse movement. It works for a couple of times and then it reverts to how it was before!! I’m getting very frustrated and would love a solution to this! submitted...
  8. waking from sleep.

waking from sleep.: I have just changed from Win 10 home 32 bit to the 64 bit version. The crap I had with it starting up, shutting down the doing full cold boot after waking from sleep with a long time to come up still exists. I do not believe I am the only person in the world with this...
  9. Disable Lockscreen After Waking From Sleep

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Disable Lockscreen After Waking From Sleep: I'm trying to disable lockscreen after waking from sleep. And I can't find such option. Take a look at the screenshot. [img] I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise, I'm system administrator and the only Group Policy settings I changed are this: [img] Please, help me to solve...
  10. will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    will not wake from sleep: I have a 4 yr old custom built desktop upgraded from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro about 8 months ago. Up until two weeks ago the sleep/wake up has worked perfect. Now the unit will not wake from sleep. I have tried everything I have seen and nothing has worked. It has to be booted...