Windows 10: Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections

Discus and support Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello again folks, Yet another problem ... My wife had a replacement netbook back in mid-February this year (link to thread here). Since then she... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ArthurDent, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections

Hello again folks,

Yet another problem ...

My wife had a replacement netbook back in mid-February this year (link to thread here).

Since then she says that she keeps getting random disconnects from the router.

Indeed, it does more than that - for example today not only did it lose connection to the WiFi network, when I was using it and it disconnected, I clicked on the 'Globe' network icon in the system tray and there weren't even any wireless networks listed (and no, the wireless wasn't turned off nor was 'Airplane Mode' turned on). The old 'Turn it off and turn it back on again' fixed the problem however.

PC details are listed under My Computers > System Two

The Wireless Network Adapter is an Intel Wireless AC 9462

I've tried over the last few months all sorts of things ...

The BIOS has been updated to the latest version. Fast startup has been turned off. The wireless adapter has been ripped out (via Device Manager) and re-installed. The newest wireless adapter driver has been installed. Driver was recently updated to 21.40.2.2 (which improved things slightly) and now has been updated to Intel ProSet 22.0.0.6

'Roaming Agressiveness' had been set to Medium-Low (it was set to Medium) - I couldn't find 'Passive Aggressiveness'

'Throughput Booster' has been enabled.

Fast Startup has been disabled.

I thought it was all fixed until I used it today. When I mentioned it she said "Oh, it keeps doing that, its really annoying. Its better than it used to be but it still keeps doing it". This after the above changes have been made.

There are a few more things to try (this is mainly a list for my benefit) ...

Deleting all of the WLAN profiles (using netsh wlan show profiles and netsh wlan delete profile name ="name of the WiFi network" and re-connecting to our WiFi network again.

Setting a new Group Policy in WcmSvc (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WcmSvc)
    New > DWORD (32-bit) value fMinimizeConnections

Removing files from the Wlansvc directory
    1. Stop the WLAN AutoConfig Service (Win+R services.msc)
    2. Open File Explorer and go to c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Wlansvc
    3. Delete all files and directories except for the Profiles directory
    4. Navigate to Profiles directory and delete all files and directories except the Interfaces folder
    5. Go back to Services and restart the WLAN AutoConfig Service
    6. Restart the pc

Then making the .xml file in the Interfaces folder (above) READ ONLY

Changing the Security Permissions for the Wlansvc directory making sure that Administrators Group have FULL CONTROL (they do). Would allowing the Users Group FULL CONTROL be advantageous?

As you can see, still some things to try.

If folks have any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Ultimately, the Netbook goes back to John Lewis to be "fixed" (although last time that didn't turn out so well)

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Nov 22, 2020

2. Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections

Hello again folks,

Yet another problem ...

My wife had a replacement netbook back in mid-February this year (link to thread here).

Since then she says that she keeps getting random disconnects from the router.

Indeed, it does more than that - for example today not only did it lose connection to the WiFi network, when I was using it and it disconnected, I clicked on the 'Globe' network icon in the system tray and there weren't even any wireless networks listed (and no, the wireless wasn't turned off nor was 'Airplane Mode' turned on). The old 'Turn it off and turn it back on again' fixed the problem however.

PC details are listed under My Computers > System Two

The Wireless Network Adapter is an Intel Wireless AC 9462

I've tried over the last few months all sorts of things ...

The BIOS has been updated to the latest version. Fast startup has been turned off. The wireless adapter has been ripped out (via Device Manager) and re-installed. The newest wireless adapter driver has been installed. Driver was recently updated to 21.40.2.2 (which improved things slightly) and now has been updated to Intel ProSet 22.0.0.6

'Roaming Agressiveness' had been set to Medium-Low (it was set to Medium) - I couldn't find 'Passive Aggressiveness'

'Throughput Booster' has been enabled.

Fast Startup has been disabled.

I thought it was all fixed until I used it today. When I mentioned it she said "Oh, it keeps doing that, its really annoying. Its better than it used to be but it still keeps doing it". This after the above changes have been made.

There are a few more things to try (this is mainly a list for my benefit) ...

Deleting all of the WLAN profiles (using netsh wlan show profiles and netsh wlan delete profile name ="name of the WiFi network" and re-connecting to our WiFi network again.

Setting a new Group Policy in WcmSvc (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WcmSvc)
    New > DWORD (32-bit) value fMinimizeConnections

Removing files from the Wlansvc directory
    1. Stop the WLAN AutoConfig Service (Win+R services.msc)
    2. Open File Explorer and go to c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Wlansvc
    3. Delete all files and directories except for the Profiles directory
    4. Navigate to Profiles directory and delete all files and directories except the Interfaces folder
    5. Go back to Services and restart the WLAN AutoConfig Service
    6. Restart the pc

Then making the .xml file in the Interfaces folder (above) READ ONLY

Changing the Security Permissions for the Wlansvc directory making sure that Administrators Group have FULL CONTROL (they do). Would allowing the Users Group FULL CONTROL be advantageous?

As you can see, still some things to try.

If folks have any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Ultimately, the Netbook goes back to John Lewis to be "fixed" (although last time that didn't turn out so well)

Art

ArthurDent, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections

Random wireless disconnects are often caused by interference, low signal strength, and crowded wireless channels.

First thing I would do is a repair install using an in-place upgrade to get Windows back to where it should be, before all the deletions.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

I would then start looking at the router's wireless configuration, and what's going on in your neighborhood with wireless usage.

Before making any changes, write down or screenshot your current settings.

If you are using auto channel select, try using channel 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4 Ghz, and 153 for 5 Ghz.

Using a WiFi analyzer can show you who is using what channels in your area, your signal strength, and your signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)...

Windows...

NetSurveyor, Acrylic WiFi, inSSIDer, Wi-Fi Scanner (Lizard Systems).

Mac...

Top 5 Best WiFi Analyzer Apps for Your Mac in 2020

Wireless Security should be using WPA2-Personal with AES encryption.

Select NG-Mixed for 2.4 Ghz and AC/N-Mixed for 5 Ghz if it's available on your router.

WMM should be turned on for both bands, and try the Beacon Interval at 100 and RTS Threshold at 2346.

Reboot the router and test your wireless connections.

OldNavyGuy, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Paulieg Win User

Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections

Lenovo Intros IdeaPad S10-3 Netbook Powered by Intel Atom N550

I jjust bought a Lenovo Y560, which is a higher end model. I'm impressed with the build quality of Lenovo. It's simply the beefiest lappy I've ever owned. If this netbook is built with the same attention to quality and detail, is should be high on the list for potential netbook buyers.

Paulieg, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections

1. Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections - Similar Threads - Lenovo Netbook random

2. Random internet disconnections for both Ethernet and Wireless

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random internet disconnections for both Ethernet and Wireless: Win 11 Home 22H2Randomly, I get disconnected from the internet. I've looked at numerous Youtube videos and websites trying to find a solution to my problem. Nothing seems to work. What is really frustrating is I've run the troubleshooter for internet issues. The...
  3. Random internet disconnections for both Ethernet and Wireless

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random internet disconnections for both Ethernet and Wireless: Win 11 Home 22H2Randomly, I get disconnected from the internet. I've looked at numerous Youtube videos and websites trying to find a solution to my problem. Nothing seems to work. What is really frustrating is I've run the troubleshooter for internet issues. The...
  4. Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections

in Windows 10 Support
    Lenovo Netbook - random wireless disconnections: Hello again folks, Yet another problem ... My wife had a replacement netbook back in mid-February this year (link to thread here). Since then she says that she keeps getting random disconnects from the router. Indeed, it does more than that - for example today not only...
  5. Wireless network adapter will disconnect from internet randomly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless network adapter will disconnect from internet randomly.: Hi! I have an issue where my USB Wireless network adapter will disconnect from the internet randomly, however it doesn't fully disconnect from my home WiFi, that still works for some time, but websites will fail to load. Online games and apps like Discord also still work...
  6. xbox wireless dongle & xbox controller randomly disconnect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    xbox wireless dongle & xbox controller randomly disconnect: hi i'm using official xbox wireless dongle since many months : https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/p/adaptateur-sans-fil-xbox-pour-windows10/91DQRB97L130/1V59 with my xbox one controller custom design microsoft on Windows 10 1909 I have random disconnection during game,...
  7. Wireless keeps disconnecting.

Wireless keeps disconnecting.: How do I stop my Wi-Fi from disconnecting periodically. Its become very irritating. Tried some of the solutions found on the net but most of them seems outdated. Some of the tabs like power management I cant find in my network adapter properties. The laptop I am using is...
  8. Wireless Disconnects Randomly

Wireless Disconnects Randomly: So i have been having a queer issue with my wireless adapter, it is a NETGEAR A6200 WiFi Adapter. After downloading windows 10 i re downloaded drivers and updated them just in case but i am having a reoccurring issue of the adapter itself being shut off by windows 10 and i...
  9. Lenovo 100 S Netbook Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Lenovo 100 S Netbook Windows 10: O.k......Not really a Windows 10 question, although this little netbook IS running it.........anyone know where the hell the BACKSPACE key is on this Lenovo 100 s ?........I have searched everywhere......tried different key combinations and still can't find it...... am I...
  10. Netbook

in Windows 10 Support
    Netbook: Upgraded my Samsung n145plus netbook to w10. Finally metro apps work at full screen at 1024x600 without shoody resolution hacks [img] The start menu is a bit rough, and the new search feature takes a time to start. The cortana thingy doesn't work on my region. The new...