Windows 10: Lenovo T400 touchpad tapping and buttons fail

Discus and support Lenovo T400 touchpad tapping and buttons fail in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently made a mistake. I loaded the latest Synaptic touchpad to this T400 attempting to fix 'zoom' capability. Only afterwards I noticed T400 is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dsmith888, Sep 2, 2019.

1. dsmith888 Win User

Lenovo T400 touchpad tapping and buttons fail

I recently made a mistake. I loaded the latest Synaptic touchpad to this T400 attempting to fix 'zoom' capability. Only afterwards I noticed T400 is not on the approved list. So I rolled back (also redownloaded, also reapplied old driver). The current situation is the cursor works fine but tapping and buttons do not work. Also note that USB mouse via HID compliant driver works fine.

I don't think it is related to the Windows version (currently on 1903) since I booted from Kyhi's 1703 rescue disk and the problem persists. What suggestions can this forum provide?

Thanks in advance

:)

dsmith888, Sep 2, 2019
  2. Aelius Win User

Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

I have a ThinkPad T480 laptop, using a Synaptics touchpad. I use the built-in Windows 10 touchpad settings to configure the tap functionality.

I configured the touchpad to function as a "mouse back button" when I tap it with three fingers. It works fine in Firefox but it does not work at all in Windows Explorer (i.e., browsing files on my computer.)

Touch pad scrolling works fine, even in Windows Explorer.

Interestingly, I can get it to work as long as Explorer isn't focused. So, for example, if I click an empty part of the taskbar and then put the cursor over an Explorer window - without clicking it - then I do a three-finger tap, Explorer successfully goes back.

One other interesting observation: if I set three-finger tap to something else (say, Action Center), it does work in Explorer. This suggests that the problem is not Explorer failing to recognize any taps - just SPECIFICALLY back-button tap functionality.

Also, I tried setting two- and four-finger taps as mouse back button functionality but it doesn't work for those either, meaning the problem is not specific to three-finger taps.

Any ideas?

Aelius, Sep 2, 2019
  3. CS14127 Win User
    Sound is not working on Lenovo Thinkpad T400 after Windows 10 upgrade????

That was the first thing I did. I'm sure its a Lenovo hardware issue with the physical keys on the keyboard. This laptop (t400) was not on their list for Windows 10 upgrade compatibility.

CS14127, Sep 2, 2019
  4. Thanatica Win User

Touchpad: Tap twice to drag

Here's how it works standardly:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger to stop dragging

Here's what I like it to do:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger
    5. Reposition finger and continue dragging by flicking the touchpad some more
    6. (repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as desired)
    7. Release finger and perform one addditional tap to stop dragging

That's what it used to be like in the Windows 7 era with most touchpads. Some people found it annoying and disabled it, but I welcomed it.

I know dragging continues when your finger reaches the touchpad edges, but that I find greatly irritating because it looses all sense of precision. This mechanism is stupendously irritating when trying to pixel-precise drag a trackbar, or when doing some
    painting in photoshop on the go. Or just anything that requires precision.

So I'd like to disable "drag continues at touchpad edge" and enable "require additional tap to stop dragging".

So how can I do that?

If not possible, then please consider this a feature request.

Thanatica, Sep 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Lenovo T400 touchpad tapping and buttons fail - Similar Threads - Lenovo T400 touchpad

2. No options to disable tap-to-click or gestures on touchpad - Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No options to disable tap-to-click or gestures on touchpad - Lenovo laptop: Hi, I recently purchased a Lenovo V15 IIL laptop Windows 11 and cannot seem to disable the tap-to-click or gestures on the touchpad. I have tried numerous other guides and fixes but nothing will work.To be clear, I do not want to disable the touchpad. I just want to be able...
  3. No options to disable tap-to-click or gestures on touchpad - Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No options to disable tap-to-click or gestures on touchpad - Lenovo laptop: Hi, I recently purchased a Lenovo V15 IIL laptop Windows 11 and cannot seem to disable the tap-to-click or gestures on the touchpad. I have tried numerous other guides and fixes but nothing will work.To be clear, I do not want to disable the touchpad. I just want to be able...
  4. Touchpad Buttons/Taps do not work when a key is pressed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad Buttons/Taps do not work when a key is pressed: So, I used to have the cursor not working when a key is pressed but I fixed that problem by registry in another form. But then I am having that the taps/buttons are not working. I need it for gaming. Is there any way to fix this problem? It is annoying. I have a Lenovo...
  5. Touchpad double tap issue...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Touchpad double tap issue...: I have acer aspire 3 a315-33-c89l it's touchpad supports 5+ fingers tap but after a update it supporting only one finger tap. When i tried to change setiings, setting only shows sensitivity of touchpad...[ATTACH] Before it shows many gestures and settings...i tried to...
  6. Tap in the touchpad is not working

Tap in the touchpad is not working: In my laptop tap option is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tap-in-the-touchpad-is-not-working/3851af51-b211-46e7-87f0-9bd271009b33
  7. can be installed on the lenovo T400 windows 10

can be installed on the lenovo T400 windows 10: i have wiindows 7 on my laptop and would like to have windows 10 cost free on it kann man auf dem lenovo T400 windows 10 instalieren
  8. Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer: I have a ThinkPad T480 laptop, using a Synaptics touchpad. I use the built-in Windows 10 touchpad settings to configure the tap functionality. I configured the touchpad to function as a "mouse back button" when I tap it with three fingers. It works fine in Firefox but it...
  9. Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer: I have a ThinkPad T480 laptop, using a Synaptics touchpad. I use the built-in Windows 10 touchpad settings to configure the tap functionality. I configured the touchpad to function as a "mouse back button" when I tap it with three fingers. It works fine in Firefox but it...
  10. Touchpad Tap not working

Touchpad Tap not working: After using Bluetooth mouse, touch pad tapping has stopped working, navigation is working fine, Its Synaptics clik pad V7.4. I tried to update the driver, but it shows the driver is up to date.............. Please help...... 31536