Windows 10: Lenovo thinkbook wake on lan from shutdown mode S5

Discus and support Lenovo thinkbook wake on lan from shutdown mode S5 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have read lots of post about WOL. I know, by default, in win 10, WOL only works when the laptop in sleep S3 and hibernate S4 mode. I have tested.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kamanwu, Jul 8, 2020.

1. kamanwu Win User

Lenovo thinkbook wake on lan from shutdown mode S5

I have read lots of post about WOL.

I know, by default, in win 10, WOL only works when the laptop in sleep S3 and hibernate S4 mode.

I have tested. It works to me.

My question is: Is it possible to let me wake on my laptop when it is in shutdown S5 mode? like change registry?

:)

kamanwu, Jul 8, 2020

2. Windows 10 wake on LAN not working from shutdown state

Hi,

The "Wake on LAN" (WOL) feature wakes a computer from a low-power state when a network adapter detects a WOL event. Typically, such an event is a specially constructed Ethernet packet. The default behavior in response to WOL events has changed from Windows
    7 to Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Windows 7

In Windows 7, the default shutdown operation puts the system into the classic shutdown state (S5), and all devices are put into the lowest power state (D3). WOL from S5 is not officially supported in Windows 7. However, some network adapters can be left armed
    for waking if enough residual power is available. Therefore, waking from S5 is possible on some systems if enough residual power is supplied to the network adapter even though the system is in the S5 state and devices are in D3.

Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10

In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, the default shutdown behavior puts the system into the hybrid shutdown state (S4), and all devices are put into D3. WOL from S4 or S5 is unsupported. Network adapters are explicitly not armed for WOL in either S5 or S4 cases
    because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of invalid wake-ups when an explicit shutdown is requested. Therefore, WOL is supported only from sleep (S3) or hibernation (S4) states
    in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, hybrid shutdown (S4) stops user sessions but lets the contents of kernel sessions be written to the hard disk. This enables faster startups.

To disable the S4 state in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, follow these steps.

Note We do not recommend that you disable the hybrid shutdown (S4) state.

1- In Control Panel, open the Power Options item.

2- Click the Choose what the power buttons do link.

3- Clear the Turn on fast startup (recommended) check box.

4- Click Save Settings.

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Jul 8, 2020
  3. WOL Wake on Lan not working after upgrade from windows 8.1

Hi Chris and Jessen P,

The setting for the soft off S5 state if your bios supports it:

Look at this artikel:

System Power States - Win32 apps

It claims:

"Wake-on-LAN behavior

The wake-on-LAN (WOL) feature wakes the computer from a low power state when a network adapter detects a WOL event (typically, a specially constructed Ethernet packet).

The default shutdown behavior puts the system into hybrid shutdown (S4) and all devices are put into D3. Remote wake from hybrid shutdown (S4) or classic shutdown (S5) is completely unsupported. NICs are explicitly not armed for
    wake in both the classic shutdown (S5) and hybrid shutdown (S4) cases because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of spurious wakes when explicit shutdown was requested.
    As a result, Wake-On-LAN is only ever supported from sleep (S3) or hibernate (S4).

Hybrid shutdown (S4) stops user sessions but the contents of kernel sessions are written to hard disk. This enables faster boot. "

But that is not true:

1. Update your driver from the vendor site

2. If you have the option to enable wake on link you can shut your pc down and wake it by WOL.

3. Standy and hibernation should work if you apply the settings of Jessen P.

Lenovo thinkbook wake on lan from shutdown mode S5 d3adfe94-ecd4-470b-b1f0-4bf9227d84a4.png

Hope this helps you or someone else.

Kind regards,

isee2it.nl

Martijn Kamminga, Jul 8, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

New Lenovo ThinkBook 13s and 14s laptops - built for business

Source:

Brink, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Lenovo thinkbook wake on lan from shutdown mode S5 - Similar Threads - Lenovo thinkbook wake

2. Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command: Hello, Wake on LAN only works after shutting off my pc using the power button on my pc or pressing shut down button in windows menu, but not after i use command "shutdown - s" in cmd, or any other app using commands to do this.I want to turn off my pc using Push2Run so i can...
  3. Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command: Hello, Wake on LAN only works after shutting off my pc using the power button on my pc or pressing shut down button in windows menu, but not after i use command "shutdown - s" in cmd, or any other app using commands to do this.I want to turn off my pc using Push2Run so i can...
  4. Wake on LAN doesn't work after shutdown command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wake on Lan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake on Lan: Hi everyone. I have a Chatreey AN1 AMD Ryzen R3 Mini PC with a Realtek NiC. Windows 10 is installed. I can't for the life of me get it to wake on LAN. There are no LEDs in the NIC when the device is off. Should there be blinking LEDs? I've updated the drivers, turned on...
  6. Lenovo expands ThinkBook portfolio

in Windows 10 News
    Lenovo expands ThinkBook portfolio: Lenovo has expanded its ThinkBook portfolio with a new generation of laptops powered by Intel or AMD, built for a work-from-anywhere world. They have a dual-tone top cover and ultra-narrow display bezels built for immersive viewing experiences. [ATTACH] ThinkBook 13 Gen 2...
  7. Wake On Lan not working from shutdown state

Wake On Lan not working from shutdown state: So I am trying to enable Wake On Lan for my PC so I can turn it on remotely. The PC is in an odd spot so reaching the power button is awkward so I have made a custom wireless button (using a NodeMCU) to send the WOL packet over my network. It works just fine when I put the...
  8. Wake on LAN ???

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake on LAN ???: What setting do I need to change when this WakeOnLAN ONLY works if the pc to be started via LAN is cut of from power ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-on-lan/7f39da08-e6f1-410a-afd8-0c598be75319
  9. Wake on LAN

Wake on LAN: I am trying to set Wake On LAN up. Specs are router Nighthawk R7000 motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING Not sure if other specs are needed? process Switched Power On By PCI-E/PCI on in the bios turned Wake on magic packet enabled Checked with wireshark that...
  10. Wake on LAN only working from sleep mode

Wake on LAN only working from sleep mode: I’ve been searching this for like an hour and can’t get wake on lan to work from shutdown. I had it working for months and then I had to format my hard drive and now it’s only works when my computer is sleeping and not when I shut it down. I’ve done a lot including enabling...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wake on lan pci card for Lenovo