Windows 10: Lenovo used shady 'rootkit' tactic to quietly reinstall unwanted...

Discus and support Lenovo used shady 'rootkit' tactic to quietly reinstall unwanted... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Lenovo has been caught using a technique, often used by some malware to withstand being deleted, to reinstall unwanted software on the computers it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 12, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Lenovo used shady 'rootkit' tactic to quietly reinstall unwanted...

Source

:)

labeeman, Aug 12, 2015
  2. Desmo74 Win User

Dropbox changed their API but Nokia does not update sharing plugin

The N9 is still under warranty until Sept 11, 2013. How shady of a company do you have to be to quietly stop providing support to fix broken software that SHIPPED with the phone before the 2 year warranty expires? It is official that Nokia will NOT fix the
    Dropbox or Evernote plugins.

I recommend that all N9 owners read this page: European Consumer Centres Network

As far as I'm concerned the N9 no longer works as advertised...otherwise known as "non conformity". I'm going to work to get my money back from Nokia for the next few months and start a complaint with the EU consumer bureau.

If we sit back and let them screw us, they will. It's up to you to fight for your consumer rights from shady companies.

Desmo74, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Blocked Publisher doesn't show up in Untrusted Publishers - how can I unblock the publisher?

Is your computer a Lenovo if so scan it for malware it may be a Rootkit which favours certain publishers.

OctavianQR, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Antilope Win User

Well, I know what brand computer I will never buy.

Antilope, Aug 12, 2015
  5. You got that right. That's just *Devil

alphanumeric, Aug 12, 2015
  6. They are Chinese are they not.

JohnMarchant, Aug 12, 2015
  7. That's also my concern. The time has come to put an end to "Made in China" garbage. Even big names like Apple are so dependent on Chinese companies to produce the hardware parts.

Btw, other Laptops are also manufactured by Chinese/Taiwan based companies. One particular example is "Quanta Computers".

Quanta Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple products are manufactured by "Foxconn".

Foxconn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only God knows what they are hiding on the firmware code.

Anshad Edavana, Aug 12, 2015
  8. edmscan Win User

Foxconn is not the only manufacturer that makes Apple products .. there are other Chinese manufacturers that do.

If we wanted to not buy from Asian manufacturers .. there would be nothing left. We are pretty much stuck buying from China and other such areas.

edmscan, Aug 12, 2015
  9. That dependency should be ended. Cheap labor is what made China a monopoly in electronic hardware market. There are other Asian, African and Latin American countries where labor is cheaper than China. If only Govt of those countries can provide the basic infrastructure demanded by the electronic industry, then this monopoly can be ended.

Anshad Edavana, Aug 12, 2015
  10. Im always intrigued by the names they give these companies just so they don't sound Chinese.

JohnMarchant, Aug 12, 2015
  11. Antilope Win User
    Looks like the user community needs to write some open bios firmware for PC's, similar to what's available for routers (example: Tomato or DD-WRT).

Antilope, Aug 12, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    I don't know of a single computer manufacturer that doesn't use almost entirely Taiwanese or parts (and most parts that are not are made in Korea).

It's not just laptops, it's motherboards, hard drives, virtually everything.

Mystere, Aug 12, 2015
  13. Lenovo used shady 'rootkit' tactic to quietly reinstall unwanted...

Well crap. First Superfish, then overriding Windows Update, and now this. I've always had an eye on the X1 Carbon or Yoga or whatever but I no longer have any trust in the company.

Dell's still good, right?

FuturDreamz, Aug 12, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Ha! My H530 is not on the list. So far all the a stuff Lenovo adds hasn't been on my PC.(Just got luck I guess). but there are problems with all PC manufacturers, no matter where they're from. For example Sony is telling it's users to wait:
    Source Now that would bite if I had a Sony.*really

Cliff S, Aug 12, 2015
  15. iBawbag Win User
    They are also the biggest leaks of builds and other things!

iBawbag, Aug 12, 2015
Thema:

1. Lenovo used shady 'rootkit' tactic to quietly reinstall unwanted... - Similar Threads - Lenovo used shady

2. Unwanted reinstallation of Mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted reinstallation of Mail: On my first restart after the most recent Windows 10 update either KB5022834 or KB5022729 I suddenly find myself receiving notifications from Mail, despite having uninstalled it a few months ago. I have never used the app or set it up with my details.Is this caused by one of...
  3. Unwanted reinstallation of Mail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unwanted reinstallation of Mail: On my first restart after the most recent Windows 10 update either KB5022834 or KB5022729 I suddenly find myself receiving notifications from Mail, despite having uninstalled it a few months ago. I have never used the app or set it up with my details.Is this caused by one of...
  4. Unwanted reinstallation of Mail

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. rootkit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    rootkit: HiWhat are rootkits on my desktop via MALWARE bytes?Thank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rootkit/07a0f6b2-1909-4285-98dd-e31b72c3192d
  6. rootkit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    rootkit: HiWhat are rootkits on my desktop via MALWARE bytes?Thank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rootkit/07a0f6b2-1909-4285-98dd-e31b72c3192d
  7. rootkit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. deceitful tactics

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    deceitful tactics: How come when you sign up for an account all the included documentation never mentions a need for your phone number, and assures you your information is guarded, however after a few day the account becomes mysteriously compromised and they must have my phone number or i cant...
  9. Rootkits

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Rootkits: I have been searching the internet and nowhere can I find an answer concerning how are these installed on or in a system.Am I to assume that something like this 'rootkit' may be installed by USB or downloaded from a website, considering the word 'installed' implies this?Can...
  10. Rootkit

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Rootkit: Can a Rootkit be Totally annihilated by Scanning through Defender? What if it is deeply embedded in the OS itself, finding root on some apps or file or even in user and kernel levels. This is my problem cause my secondary Laptop came pre installed apps and Rootkit, of which I...