Windows 10: Lenovo w520 upgraded to windows 10 does not recognize any cam

Discus and support Lenovo w520 upgraded to windows 10 does not recognize any cam in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Laptop W520 which I upgraded 2 years ago from the original Windows 7 to Windows 10 No cam problems at all - ie the Lenovo cam worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Shlaymeh, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Shlaymeh Win User

Lenovo w520 upgraded to windows 10 does not recognize any cam

I have a Lenovo Laptop W520 which I upgraded 2 years ago from the original Windows 7 to Windows 10
    No cam problems at all - ie the Lenovo cam worked with Windows 10
    10 days ago the internal cam not recognize (see pic #1)
    Soon after I noticed also USB external Logitec 9000 web cam also not recognized on laptop (updated drivers installed for windows 10 and this cam works on another computer )

Microsoft says now after removing and re-installing driver - that it will never work because the Lenovo drivers are only for windows 7. But it worked just fine until 10 days ago on windows 10
    Lenovo w520 upgraded to windows 10 does not recognize any cam [​IMG]

Microsoft says they cannot help because driver is only for windows 7 (even tho it worked for 2 years)
    Lenovo says they cannot help because they are not planing any upgrade for this integrated web cam to windows 10

I tied unsuccessful restore - I tried returning to previous windows 10 build Nada

Microsoft is now suggesting I return completely to windows 7 but I will loose all of my data programs links etc etc

can I fix this myself?

Is there anything I can do to FORCE my laptop to recognize the internal cam or a logitec cam?
    Perhaps a driver that is not exactly made for this computer but will force it to recognize the cam?

:)

Shlaymeh, Jul 23, 2017

2. Integrated camera doesnot recognize in Windows 10

Original Title: You Cam

Lenovo U310 does not recognize integrated camera since installing windows 10

JohnThibert, Jul 23, 2017
  3. Cokeb5 Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant Downloads and Installs 10, but when it reboots to finalize, it boots back into Windows 7.

Basically when I open Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant and start the upgrade, it downloads and installs Windows 10 and then tells me it's going to reboot to finalize it. However when it reboots, it always just reboots straight back into
    Windows 7, no error messages or anything. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this or what I need to do to try and fix it?

Lenovo Thinkpad W520 running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Cokeb5, Jul 23, 2017
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Hi, Shlaymeh, unfortunately this is a perfect example of why it is a good idea to check for drivers prior to updating an OS.

With that, what Microsoft is saying is that even though the camera worked under previous versions of Windows 10, Lenovo themselves never supported that notebook under Windows 10 and therefore provide no drivers for the OS. BTW your qualm would be with Lenovo, not Microsoft since vendors are responsible for their own specific device drivers.

And before you get mad at Lenovo, realize they aren't the only PC vendor to do such things... Asus never provided Win 10drivers for my 2013 Ultrabook, even though I upgraded the notebook from Win 8 to 10. Fortunately I ran into no real issues since the notebook was built for Windows 8.

Anyway, if you really want to keep Windows 10, but need a camera, you could try looking for a newer model with Windows 10 support. Otherwise you'll have to revert back to Windows 7 in order to get things working as they should.

Sorry.

sygnus21, Jul 23, 2017
  5. Shlaymeh Win User
    I would like to pursue the fact that the internal cam and also the external Logitec cam DID work for 2 years under Windows 10 (even tho the drivers are only for Windows 7 and were never supported by Windows 10)

Is there a way I can return to a specific build of Windows 10 that will not necessitate starting over with a brand new clean windows 7 For obviously there was a version of windows 10 that worked with the Lenovo Cam and the Logitec Cam?

I myself tried to go back to a previous build of Windows but that in and of itself did not help?

Lenovo has NO plans of updating the drivers to work with windows 10

Is there another driver I can use instead? Perhaps a universal driver or something?

I loath the idea of loosing all of my data and set ups and links

Shlaymeh, Jul 23, 2017
  6. Shlaymeh Win User
    To be super clear -
    1 The Logitec cam worked well on the lenovo without special windows 10 drivers until 10 days ago.
    2) The Logitec cam now works well on other computers
    3) The logitec cam does not work now on the Lenovo - just as the integrated cam does not work now.
    4) Even after updating the Logitec drivers to windows 10 - it does NOT now work on the lenovo

I would like to understand why and perhaps take advantage of the reason to perhaps find a way to force my W520 to accept a previous windows 10 build or driver that will cause it to work.

HELP

Shlaymeh, Jul 23, 2017
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Have you looked in Device Manager ...
    1. See if you can roll back the driver ?
    2. What exclamations it might be showing ?
    3. Would help to know what drivers are currently installed for each (Provider / Date / Version) ?

Eagle51, Jul 23, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

As has been stated, Press the Windows key+X and choose Device Manager.
    Here, do you have a listing for Imaging Device? Do you have any devices with yellow exclamation marks? If so, right click them and Uninstall them. Then right click Any device and choose Scan For Hardware Changes. This should start the new hardware found. If you need your Logitech driver, then use the install CD or download from Logitech

spunk, Jul 25, 2017
  9. Shlaymeh Win User
    I worked with a Microsoft tech who did exactly what you suggested - but I believe she was not the first to try this uninstall - re-install. And of course re-boot. So we all immediately "knew" the problem was still not solved because of this:

This app notice was always used at each step by everyone to "prove" the cam was still not working.

However when looking again for the yellow triangle warnings in the device manager - basically to show those error messages to you - I noticed suddenly that they were all missing! So I tried the cam again and .... walla it worked. Even tho I was still getting this app error notice.
    I pointed this out to Microsoft and they tried to update this app - but that had no effect on the error message so far.

So I am still getting this cam app error - yet the cam is now working - but then again - what do I care?
    How did this get fixed?
    I noticed this new situation after an automatic windows update that automatically caused my computer to re-boot.

So I am not sure if it was the update OR the driver uninstall/reinstall

One thing I am sure of is this: All those experts (Microsoft - Ten Forum - and Lenovo) They ALL stated categorically that there is NO WAY the cam will ever work because the driver was not made for windows 10 - only windows 7. They all were wrong (no complaints here) and the only tech who got it right and fixed the problem was the Microsoft tech who didn't know what the experts "knew" and just tried to uninstall / reinstall the drivers (or more exactly - uninstall the error message drivers and just let windows boot and re-install by itself!)

OR the automatic update caused the windows 7 cam drivers to work with my present windows 10

Any ideas?

Shlaymeh, Jul 25, 2017
  10. spunk Win User
    It is hard to say, if the MS Tech uninstalled the driver, then Reinstalled it, they should have checked in the Device Manager to see if there were any yellow marks. If they did you would know if it was the tech, or Windows Update that installed the correct driver.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lenovo w520 upgraded to windows 10 does not recognize any cam - Similar Threads - Lenovo w520 upgraded

2. Cam and Cam 2 cam

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cam and Cam 2 cam: I am having trouble with my usb cam and laptop cam. I can see people but they cannot see me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cam-and-cam-2-cam/99a5b7f8-19ee-4132-ab64-eae63656059e
  3. Win 10 Lenovo 430s Fails To Recognize Any USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 Lenovo 430s Fails To Recognize Any USB: I updated win 10 using KB4592438 for Dec 8 and created a new recovery drive. My USB's are now stuck on the recovery drive USB and will not recognize any other USB. I've tried the posted suggestions and nothing has worked. Suggestions?...
  4. Microsoft Store does not recognize my Windows 10 upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Store does not recognize my Windows 10 upgrade.: Today I purchased 'Windows 10 Upgrade' in Microsoft Store to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro. Payment was made through PayPal without problem. After payment there was an error of 0x80070005 while its upgrade process. I had no other option but to reboot my laptop. It did...
  5. Bluetooth issue on Lenovo W520

Bluetooth issue on Lenovo W520: Hi folks, I recently bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard and tried to pair it on my old but vaillant Lenovo W520. I am on Win10 2004 and my W520 vaillant clunker does not respond to the pairing signal sent by the keyboard although the keyboard paired without problem with...
  6. win10 lenovo w520 mouse pointer changes all the time randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    win10 lenovo w520 mouse pointer changes all the time randomly: hello seems like often, when i leave the laptop alone for hours, when i come back somehow, the mouse pointer changes, i end up having to change the mouse pointer and everytime i reboot, i have to redo this... reinstalled everything fresh from win10 since the first time it...
  7. lenovo/W520/windows 10 home denied permissions to lenovo\windows 10 pro even tho later is...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    lenovo/W520/windows 10 home denied permissions to lenovo\windows 10 pro even tho later is...: I have two computers: A. Lenovo w520 windows 10 pro upgraded from windows 7 (network name Admin-pc) B. Lenovo P71 windows 10 home installed with purchase (network name LenovoP71) On both computers file manager/network shows the other's icon I can now access P71 and open...
  8. Device Manager in windows 10 does not recognize my Logictech C920 web cam.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Device Manager in windows 10 does not recognize my Logictech C920 web cam.: The only camera that comes up is the integrated web cam. the mic for the C920 web cam shows up, but not the camera itself. I have tried downloaded the latest drivers, unplugged and replugged in the camera. The USB does work, I plugged in the plug for my wireless mouse and...
  9. Media Foundation does not recognize virtual cams

Media Foundation does not recognize virtual cams: Hi, I am using Media Foundation to enumerate and capture from camera devices. It recognizes the USB camera connected to laptop but does not recognize few of the virtual cam software like Chroma Cam etc. Same behavior is seen on the application that builds out of Microsoft's...
  10. Lenovo W520 (Windows 10) can't properly link to Lenovo tb-8704v

Lenovo W520 (Windows 10) can't properly link to Lenovo tb-8704v: I can not get a new Lenovo Tab 4 plus to link to my laptop. When I connect the device I get the confirmation tone going on and off. Additionally, when I press the Media device (Mtp) box on the tablet, the screen redraws and the checkmark disapears with the conformation tone...