Windows 10: lenovo y580, weird lines when connected to external 4k TV

Discus and support lenovo y580, weird lines when connected to external 4k TV in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi All, Just got a Sony 65x850D 4k TV, using as an external monitor for my Lenovo y580 laptop, hooked up via HDMI cable which uses the on-board... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Badmotorf1nger, Dec 30, 2016.

1. lenovo y580, weird lines when connected to external 4k TV

Hi All,

Just got a Sony 65x850D 4k TV, using as an external monitor for my Lenovo y580 laptop, hooked up via HDMI cable which uses the on-board Intel 4000 graphics.

You can see in the below pic these light colored single pixel width lines that extend from the corners of the windows and go across the desktop. Its most noticeable on solid color backgrounds. The lines will extend from all corners of the windows, and sometimes I notice them going vertically too. The lines move with the windows if I move them around the screen. This is bugging the hell out of me, its definitely something with the OS because if I do a print screen you can see the lines.

The problem was there in windows 7, so I installed windows 10 today just to see if it would help, but the lines are still there. Anyone experience this problem before? Any ideas how to fix it?

Im guessing it might have to do with displaying windows in 1080p resolution stretched out on a 4k screen? Maybe the lines were always there but invisible to the naked eye?

The lines are not visible on the 1080p laptop screen, and they were not visible on my old 70" 1080p TV.

Im going to be building a new rig soon with a GTX1070 so it will be able to display at 3840x2160 res. Hopefully that helps if I cant find a solution.

lenovo y580,  weird lines when connected to external 4k TV [​IMG]

:)

Badmotorf1nger, Dec 30, 2016
  2. Pawan_30 Win User

Movie and TV App issue on RS1 with Switchable Graphics Combination

I am seeing an issue with H.264 4K decode. My configuration has an Intel GPU and an AMD 480 external card. I am in a multi display configuration with one display out of Intel display out and other (HDMI 4K) in an extend mode connected to a external GPU.

When I start the 4K Playback on 4K display connected to external GPU, I see the video playback is very choppy. I see the Intel is doing the HW accelaration, but the playback on external 4K is choppy. The same does not happen when i connect a 4K display to
    Intel display port.

Seeing this only with Movies TV app on RS1 and not seen with WMP. Not sure of the problem.

Pawan_30, Dec 30, 2016
  3. Drewbot47 Win User
    Critical hardware component made by Intel for your PC don't have drivers for Windows 10 yet. I have an Acer Aspire V3-771G.

Have the exact same issue on a Lenovo Y580.

Drewbot47, Dec 30, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

lenovo y580, weird lines when connected to external 4k TV

Have you tried setting your monitor to it's native resolution? Your card is supposed to be capable of 3840 X 2160 If using a Digital connection. If using VGA it is limited to 2048 X 1536. GeForce GTX 660M | Specifications | GeForce

essenbe, Dec 30, 2016
  5. as far as i know its not possible with this laptop, the gtx660 card only outputs to the laptop screen & the VGA port for ext monitor.. the TV only has HDMI ports so im stuck using that, the HDMI is only connected to the intel 4000 chip, i dont think there is anyway to have the gtx660 display through the HDMI, pretty stupid design flaw on lenovos part IMO

I did try using a custom resolution in the display properties, but it rejects anything over 1920x1080

6. essenbe Win User
    Unless someone else has another solution,based on your description it sounds like you're stuck. I believe the Intel 4000 is max resolution of 1920 X 1200.

essenbe, Dec 30, 2016
  7. yeah im definitely stuck with this resolution on this laptop, im just wondering if thats whats causing these lines?

Anyone else have the same problem displaying a 1080 res on a 4k TV?

8. Helmut Win User

Does not look like a white line in your images, more dark grey. JPG processing in your images does not help.

At a guess I would say it's a processing artefact, scaling is a process, not always perfect.
    You may be able to make it less noticeable by varying the black level on the TV, depends what options they give you with a PC Input.

Helmut, Dec 31, 2016
  9. Actually it does. It won't display that line in a screenshot.

RoasterMen, Dec 31, 2016
  10. Helmut Win User
    The better your image quality the easier it is to make suggestions, we cannot see the live screen.

What are the advanced picture settings on your TV with a PC input ? Does the effect change with Picture Mode ?

Helmut, Dec 31, 2016
  11. this is the best pic I could get , hard to keep the camera in focus on the screen

the lines are visible in all picture modes, photo, vivid, cinema, graphics etc
    The only setting that help a little are black level & contrast, but i have to set them too high that it degrades the picture quality

I think I just figured out that its a TV problem & not windows though, because if I pull up a TV menu it does the same thing to the screen if the menu appears over the windows desktop

Badmotorf1nger, Dec 31, 2016
  12. Helmut Win User
    Ummm, well it would seem to be a TV problem.
    On my Sony TVs(~3 yrs old), out of the box the default settings were set very high for various processing features, enough to make a picture look cartoon like, all were set to Low or Off in some cases. Made quite an improvement.

I would look for, in Picture Advanced settings - Sharpness*, Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, Dot Noise Reduction, Detail Enhancer*, Edge Enhancer*, i/p Conversion Preference.

The ones with * perhaps the significant ones, most of these should be Off for a PC input.

Some options, at least on mine, are greyed out or only appear in certain picture modes and inputs.

Helmut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. lenovo y580, weird lines when connected to external 4k TV - Similar Threads - lenovo y580 weird

2. Lenovo desktop to TV connection via hdmi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo desktop to TV connection via hdmi: My Lenovo desktop runs the word "lenovo" on switching on then a bluescreen follows after connecting to my TV using a hdmi, but other desktops are working fine on my TV. My desktop still works on another TV but not on my own TV. Kindly help....
  3. weird white lines with movies and tv app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    weird white lines with movies and tv app: hello I am having weird white lines with the movies and tv app around some objects when I have a video paused in full screen it appears and I have the line that moves which part of the video I want to go there and the lines/over contrast isn't there I'm trying to screenshot a...
  4. weird white lines with movies and tv app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    weird white lines with movies and tv app: hello I am having weird white lines with the movies and tv app around some objects when I have a video paused in full screen it appears and I have the line that moves which part of the video I want to go there and the lines/over contrast isn't there I'm trying to screenshot a...
  5. Is a 4K TV good as a monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is a 4K TV good as a monitor: A 4K 32" monitor would cost me over $400. I can pick up a 4K 42" LCD LED TV for $300. Any reason I should not use the TV as monitor for photoshop and premier pro video editing? I am using a GeForce GTX 1060 6gb GPU.
  6. Laptop HDMI into a 4K TV.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop HDMI into a 4K TV.: I'm trying to hook a (new) laptop into a new 4K TV to use as an external monitor. When I plug the HDMI cord in, Windows recognizes the 2nd monitor with all the settings but no signal shows up on the TV. I lowered the aspect ratio from the 4K TV in the adapter settings to...
  7. VAMPYR is unplayable on 4K tv

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VAMPYR is unplayable on 4K tv: due to display scaling. The cursor is locked in a box at upper left of screen and unable to select menu items. MS has the game files tied up in a tangled web of permissions so I can't access the VAMPYR exe and set it to ignore display scaling (or whatever the option is...
  8. Zoomed Desktop when laptop attached to 4k TV

Zoomed Desktop when laptop attached to 4k TV: Hi, I have recently purchased a new 4k television and sometimes plug my laptop via an HDMI cable to it for gaming. When I connect, the desktop is zoomed in and some games do not run because of this.. Now I had this issue with a standard 1080p TV, it was a simple fix of...
  9. 4k tv resolution issue

4k tv resolution issue: I'm running an LG 4k UHD tv with a GTX 1080. The first day I brought it home I was able to set the proper 3840x2160 resolution but then I updated the driver. Now anytime I set that resolution, starting from the standard 1920x1080, I get a black screen. It's not the TV...
  10. Connecting to external (TV)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting to external (TV): Prior to W10 I could connect with no issues. No my surface pro 2 gets all weird when I connect: display icons and font gets tiny and starts to heat up. Weird *Sad Any help would be appreciated Thnx 11124

Users found this page by searching for:

1. y580 connect to aquos hdmi