Windows 10: Less than half of my 16gb installed RAM is "available" for my system

Discus and support Less than half of my 16gb installed RAM is "available" for my system in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi guys, first of all I want you to know that I built my new PC a few days ago and installed Windows 10 Home. I had previously owned a microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Campbell180, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Less than half of my 16gb installed RAM is "available" for my system

Hi guys,

first of all I want you to know that I built my new PC a few days ago and installed Windows 10 Home. I had previously owned a microsoft laptop, so I was fairly used to getting around the operating system, and set about installing some games. The rig has a 1050ti, Ryzen 5 1500x, and 16gb of HyperX Fury RAM.

My first problem arose when I launched Just Cause 3 and a "Low Memory" warning popped up. This made absolutely no sense, since 16gb is enough to handle most recent AAA games, but when I went into settings and checked my RAM details - It says

"Installed RAM - 16.0gb (7.93gb usable)."

I checked my motherboard manual to see if I had installed the RAM in the wrong slots, but it was all correct. My bios says there should be 16gb of ram for my system, and I even checked the barcode on my shipment to make sure I'd ordered the right sticks.

Windows 10, for some reason, thinks that 7.93gb is the maximum ram I can use, even after paying $200 for 16gb.

I'm pretty sure this is a software error, if not I might have to pull apart my computer again and check. Anyone know what's going on?

:)

Campbell180, Jan 15, 2019
  2. Lupaki Win User

Windows 10 recognize half of the installed RAM, i.e. only 8GB of 16GB

Hi all,

my system only recognize half of the installed RAM, meaning I've got 4x4GB installed, BIOS sees the whole 16GB, but Windows 10 PRO x64 see only 8GB. I've got a Gigabyte board with an H170 chipset and Gigabyte support
    says that is a Windows problem. Have anyone come across to this problem? Are there any solutions?

Here is the correspondence that I got from Gigabyte:

1st Question:

Hi there,

I’ve just upgraded my PC, migrating from a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 motherboard to a H170M-D3H DDR3 while keeping my old 16GB of RAM kit. The 4x4GB kit runs at 1.5volts and according to Corsair is ver. 4.19 which means that uses Samsung’s 256Mx8 ICs. The problem is
    that BIOS recognize the whole 16GB of RAM, but Windows 10 PRO x64 only half of it, i.e. 8GB. I run CPUz and tells me that 16GB are installed. I run windows’ memory diagnostics and found no error. Also, I’ve tried removing the 4 Dimms off the motherboard and
    tested a single 4GB Dimm at a time and my PC worked with no issues. I lowered the memory speed in BIOS from 1866 to 1333MHz and the problem remained. Finally, I formatted the SSD, reinstalled Windows and I made sure that the maximum memory box under the “system
    configuration” tab is “unticked”, and still no success. Hence, by doing all the above-mentioned and having used the particular kit to my previous Gigabyte board with no issues, I tend to believe that the RAM is not faulty. Can you please point me a solution?
    Is there any BIOS setting that I’m missing?

Kind regards,

4/14/2017 8:11 PM

Answer:

Dear Mr ***,

This model supports only maximum to memory 1866MHz with XMP supported.

The memory size issue is related to Windows 10, not motherboard.

Best Regards

2nd Question:

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Due to the fact that is necessary to have 16GB of RAM installed on my PC for my work, can you provide more details regarding the nature of the problem with windows 10? Will a 2x8GB of RAM kit solve the problem?

Kind regards,

P.S. I've also checked my system with a friend's 4x4GB DDR3L RAM kit with no success.

4/21/2017 1:27 AM

Answer:

Dear Mr ***,

Same issue can be observed on other brand of motherboards, it is issue in Windows 10.

In Windows 7, same bios, there is no issue.

Best Regards

Lupaki, Jan 15, 2019
  3. 16G ram installed only 7.95g available

Hi,

It’s nice that you have upgraded your PC with a 16GB RAM. We would like to know more about the hardware specification of your motherboard for us to determine if your new RAM is compatible or not? Please answer the questions below:

• Can you contact your motherboard manufacturer and confirm if it does accept your new 16GB RAM?
    • How many memory slots do you have in your motherboard?
    • Did you totally replaced the 8GB RAM to 16GB RAM? or did you add the 16GB RAM and retaining the 8GB RAM?
    • What is the make and model of your new RAM?

Let us know if you can answer these questions.

Johann Eva, Jan 15, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Less than half of my 16gb installed RAM is "available" for my system

Windows 10 shows only 16gb of RAM usuable of 24GB

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

• What is the bit version of the Operating system which you have installed?
    If it is a 32 bit the system will use 16 GB of ram out of 24 GB. If it is a 64 bit Operating system I would suggest you to remove the Ram module and connect it back and check if it helps.

If you need any further assistance let us know and we would be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Jan 15, 2019
Thema:

Less than half of my 16gb installed RAM is "available" for my system

1. Less than half of my 16gb installed RAM is "available" for my system - Similar Threads - Less half 16gb

2. Task manager showing less ram than available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager showing less ram than available: My laptop is a Huawei Matebook D15 and it has 16GB ram.when i open task manager it says Im using 20% 400mb of ram!??!available ram is 15.8GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-showing-less-ram-than-available/6e4da0ad-095b-4b30-b003-b58808cb22ad
  3. Task manager showing less ram than available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager showing less ram than available: My laptop is a Huawei Matebook D15 and it has 16GB ram.when i open task manager it says Im using 20% 400mb of ram!??!available ram is 15.8GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-showing-less-ram-than-available/6e4da0ad-095b-4b30-b003-b58808cb22ad
  4. The usable ram is less than installed ram

in Windows 10 Customization
    The usable ram is less than installed ram: Can some one help me here! I just upgraded my laptop with SSD and RAM I used to have 4GB of ram so I changed it with 8GB stick, My laptop has only one slot for RAM after changing now it is showing that the usable memory is only 6.89 GB can anyone tell me what is going on...
  5. Windows 10 using more than half of my RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 using more than half of my RAM: I have Windows 10 Pro x64 version 2004 latest update at the time of writing. This is on 8GB RAM, yet Windows manages to use over half of that see screenshots I've done some googling but I couldn't find a recent answer or an answer I could find in different places....
  6. Only half Ram available?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Only half Ram available?: Hello, in the PC information I am shown that I only have half of my ram available. I also notice in various games that the FPS start to fluctuate, I think this is also due to it. Does anyone know how I can fix this? CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x GPU: Radeon RX580 RAM: 16GB DDR4 Nur...
  7. Showing less RAM than is installed.

Showing less RAM than is installed.: I have installed 16g of RAM in my computer. It is only showing 12g on Task Manager. My mother board will accept 32g. I am running Windows 10. What can I do to recover my 4g?...
  8. usaeable ram less than installed ram

usaeable ram less than installed ram: hi. so i got this problem since a couple of months ago i got an asus vivobook x505za powered with ryzen 3 2200u with vega 3 graphics i got 6gb ddr4 2400mhz of ram but only 5gb of it is useable and the remaining 1gb is set as hardware reserved memory i tried to fix it...
  9. Only 7.93GB of 16GB of installed Ram available?

Only 7.93GB of 16GB of installed Ram available?: System Summary says only 4.13GB total physical memory. It is making it impossible to game. I ran the memory diagnostic tool and no problems were found. On Memtest86, the following error was the only one found: Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0 Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7...
  10. Less Usable RAM available

Less Usable RAM available: I have 4 GB of installed RAM but i had only 3.47 GB of RAM usable. After I reinstalled my windows (i updated it) it shows only 2.98 GB of Ram usable. Why? How may i fix it?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 task manager shows 16gb ram but only 8gb available

2. less than half 16gb available