Windows 10: Lets Talk Ransomware

Discus and support Lets Talk Ransomware in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Just saw a news article on CNBC web site about a hospital in Kentucky that is the victim of ransomware. I assume the hospital has a backup on an... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rjordan393, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Lets Talk Ransomware

Just saw a news article on CNBC web site about a hospital in Kentucky that is the victim of ransomware. I assume the hospital has a backup on an external drive. So why can they not use the backup?

:)

rjordan393, Mar 23, 2016
  2. pavilion_alex---01, Mar 23, 2016
  3. pyjoshi Win User
    Nokia X6: Suggestions for Improvement, Let's all talk about it here.

plz send me if dese changes r made...dese chnges r vry imprtant

MODERATOR'S NOTE: E-mail address was removed. It is unwise to publish personal contact information on a public forum.

pyjoshi, Mar 23, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Lets Talk Ransomware

Because probably, and sadly, they didn't make one... *Sad

eLPuSHeR, Mar 23, 2016
  5. I am a retired blue collar worker and I use backup. What makes business's think they don't need a backup?
    Does ransomware do more then encrypt files, preventing the victim from using a backup or using other means to restore their computer?

rjordan393, Mar 23, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    He didn't say they don't need a backup, they don't have one is what he said.

7. Cliff S New Member
    One thing about cloud auto backups and ransomware....
    Don't do it!
    Manually sync.
    Because if your files become corrupted and auto-sync is on...
    Your cloud files will be corrupted, unless, your cloud services has a file history option.
    For example anything I save will be saved to "This PC", if it's important I will place a copy to OneDrive right away.
    Then for less important stuff, like the newest wallpapers, batch files, or themes I have created, I sync once a week.

Cliff S, Mar 23, 2016
  8. davehc Win User

Lets Talk Ransomware

"they don't have one is what he said."
    No he didn't
    But ref the last post. Totally agree. Nothing too scary about backups.wherever they may be. The problem is that the User must be certain that he has itemised the backups, and is not merely reloadin whatever mischief was on them.

davehc, Mar 23, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    How's that? It is a copy/paste...

10. Please allow me to state what was said.
    There is a difference when certain words are used in a statement or reply. "eLPuSHeR" used the word" probably" which makes his reply a guess. My reply back to him as a question was actually a guess, although not implied.
    So axeO would be incorrect and davehe would be correct.

rjordan393, Mar 23, 2016
  11. axe0 New Member
    (zero)

My reply was on the part 'What makes business's think they don't need a backup?' where eLPuSHeR said they don't have one, that's all I said. Businesses know they need one, this time they apparently don't have any because it would have been used if any was created.

So explain to me what makes I'm incorrect.

12. Easy enough.
    Guess's are not accepted as facts. But can be used as clues that lead to the facts. The keyword was "Probably" and if it was left out, then you would be correct.

rjordan393, Mar 23, 2016
  13. RolandJS Win User

Lets Talk Ransomware

One can also backup secretly-ransomwared files. Depending upon the complexity of the backup routine, businesses can have a very complex restore routine -- that may or may not do the job.

RolandJS, Mar 23, 2016
  14. Well, that certainly throws a wrench on how ransomware can work. Maybe that can be a clue on it may be a better idea to do monthly backups instead of weekly. So if ransomware can hide before it shows its face, then hopefully it was placed on the computer after the last backup providing you made the backup on an external means. Then the old backup is still good and the computer can be restored. Now this should work in many cases depending on when ransomware shows its face.

But if ransomware is sophisticated enough to defeat the above idea then all bets are off.

rjordan393, Mar 23, 2016
  15. RolandJS Win User
    I possibly spoke too soon! I was also thinking of viri and malware and spyware. Ransomware usually announces itself pretty quickly. I simply do not know if there is any ransomware that hides awhile and then announces.

RolandJS, Mar 24, 2016
Thema:

Lets Talk Ransomware

1. Lets Talk Ransomware - Similar Threads - Lets Talk Ransomware

2. Ransomware !!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomware !!: I have windows 7 My device got ransomware with the vvyu extension... Is there a safe free tool that can help me recover my infected files? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware/64b1854f-a3a6-4483-a786-03e0ea9db66d
  3. Ransomware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ransomware: How do I remove kxde from my computer? I have been hack urgent help need https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ransomware/2fcdeb13-1562-4690-8dba-7b2998900326
  4. Ransomware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ransomware: How do I remove kxde from my computer? I have been hack urgent help need https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ransomware/2fcdeb13-1562-4690-8dba-7b2998900326
  5. RANSOMWARE

RANSOMWARE: last Friday April 23, while sitting at my pc using Windows 10 my pc was hacked. I called the "Microsoft" phone number that was flashing on the screen and got into contact with Mr Bharti, he stated that I needed to obtain a disposable debit card or Google Pay in for $600 and...
  6. Best Portable Speakers: let's talk about the shortcomings.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best Portable Speakers: let's talk about the shortcomings.: If you bought an external Portable Speakers:, you can get lost due to the fact that the movie may not be played or the drive does not find the printer, then thisreview saysthat the problem may be that you need to install a special application. This is good advice, but what...
  7. Ransomware!!!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Ransomware!!!: My windows 10 device is affected with locky ransomware ,and my data are encrpted with ".lokf" extensions and i cant access them anymore I want my data what to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ransomware/50d8d58f-ad74-4d08-9e95-0629c216c326
  8. Is this ransomware?

Is this ransomware?: I was looking for something in ebay, using edge on 18317 build, when a box flashed onto the screen telling me that 3 viruses had been detected. I shut down the internet immediately. I then ran Malwarebytes free and nothing was detected, so I ran the WD offline scan, and later...
  9. ransomware

ransomware: I'm being chased by a ransom ware virus that claims that my computer is randomly sending out my account number and other information. I just got this computer from a repair shop without any protection so I need the best blocker that won't also block any authorized content as...
  10. Let's Talk About Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Let's Talk About Edge: Edge is a nice browser, currently my default. But Edge does not have a Command Bar to save a page to file (Documents). The only way to delete all Edge favorites at the same time is to "dig" deep into the system to find the Favorites folder or run a bat file. The...