Windows 10: Letter keys not working in certain games

Discus and support Letter keys not working in certain games in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have been having a recurring issue with some games. Occasionally, letter and number keys fail to work within the game, but in unusually specific... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Talos111, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Talos111 Win User

Letter keys not working in certain games

I have been having a recurring issue with some games. Occasionally, letter and number keys fail to work within the game, but in unusually specific parameters. I am reasonably certain this isn't a problem with a specific game, as I have found it occuring in 3 different ones by this point specifically Payday 2 and Warthunder on Steam, and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam on Epic Games, meaning its also not a problem specific to a launcher. The function/fn keys, as well as arrow, shift, tab, etc. work normally. Oddly, holding control seems to work as a toggle for the keys, but works differently depending on the game. In Payday 2, holding control, then using a letter key such as wasd works, and letting go "locks" the key, so if I let go while W is held, I will keep moving forward. This also happens in Warthunder, to my limited testing there. In Rising Storm, if I hold control, hold a key, and let go of control, that key will then function normally, until something happens to make it not work again in other words, I can hold control, press wasd all at the same time, let go of control, and they work.

Oddly, in Warthunder, if I open chat enter, i have no issue typing, without the need to hold control, so the keys are still being registered. Similarly, in Payday 2, I need to hold control to use the chat button Y, but after I can let go of control and the keyboard works fine, until i send the message. I haven't tested something like this in Rising Storm yet.

Also, I have tried something, found here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-keyboard-will-not-work-in-fullscreen-mode.2764274/

I changed the decimal value from 3 to 1, and restarted. It worked when I launched Warthunder the first time, but the problem is back and the value hasn't changed, so its possible that the keyboard just worked because sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, I do not know what factors change this.

:)

Talos111, Oct 14, 2020

2. Certain keys unresponsive while playing games.

Hello Anthonie,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with certain keyboard keys not working when playing games. We will certainly help you.

• Have you installed all pending Windows updates?
    • Does the issue occur when you play online games or downloaded games from store or installed using DVD?

Kindly download and install any game and check if the same issue occurs with the games as well. Further install all pending Windows updates and check if the same issue occurs.

Let us know the result. We will be happy to assists you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Audio drivers not working in windows 10(z170 gaming pro)

Hi Mandeep,

Sorry for the delayed response.

• What do you mean when you say "front jack is not working getting noise in that?"
    • Can you hear sound through earphones or external Speakers?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Device Manager (Windows key + letter 'X').
    • Click on the option View over the top and choose Show Hidden Devices.
    • Expand "Sound, Video and Game Controllers."
    • Delete the drivers that are greyed out.
    • Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Letter keys not working in certain games

Certain keys on the keyboard are not working properly.

Hi Russell,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that certain keys on the keyboard are not working properly on the pc. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Have you installed all pending updates on the pc?

• Have you performed a full pc virus scan on the system recently?

Suggest you to launch the on-screen keyboard to check if the issue persists.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press “Windows key + R” to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps.
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Further, you may also boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists. When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the system.
    These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows: (Applies to Windows 10)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

Letter keys not working in certain games

1. Letter keys not working in certain games - Similar Threads - Letter keys working

2. Certain keys not working most of the time.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certain keys not working most of the time.: So with this Lenovo laptop, I've been encountering a problem where keys g, h, Esc, PgUp take a lot of clicks before finally inputting it. For example is when I try to press g, it doesn't show up, but suddenly after 5-10 seconds, the number of g's I pressed appears inside the...
  3. Shift key isn't working with certain keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shift key isn't working with certain keys: Today when i turned on my laptop and went to write an essay, i noticed that certain keys don't work with the shift key. i don't have sticky keys on, but when i do turn that on these keys work just fine. The keys that the shift key doesn't work on includes c, e, i, m, o, p, q,...
  4. Keyboard letter keys stop working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard letter keys stop working: I’ve seen different threads to what i think is a similar problem, but as yet not found the solution.essentially withing 5 minutes of firing up the computer the typing function stops. Tab seems to still work and some of the periferal keys, but letters and numbers, punctuation...
  5. Certain games dont work?

Certain games dont work?: This is very strange, i have a few games like CSGO, Garry's mod, SWTOR, etc, that wont work. When i open them, its only a black screen with a blue circle spinning cursor or the same thing but with a transparent window but when i restart my computer, the games work. So if they...
  6. key board letter not working

key board letter not working: my one key on my laptop is not working when i want it to then all of a sudden it continuously press the letter the letter i am having trouble with is the "F" letter. help me please it is getting annoying especially when am using youtube in the mean time i am using the on...
  7. Certain keys on keyboard not working

Certain keys on keyboard not working: Certain keys on the keyboard stopped working, I recently got a new K602 Keyboard, All of the keys used to work howerver certain keys stopped working I think it may have something to do with drivers,[ATTACH]...
  8. Certain keys on keyboard not working

Certain keys on keyboard not working: Only keys like 9, 0, o, j, n not working while the rest still works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-keys-on-keyboard-not-working/26b953e3-de17-464c-b1d6-b07212a046bc
  9. Certain keys are not working when playing a game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certain keys are not working when playing a game.: Everytime I launch up a start up game Minecraft, steam games, LOL, roblox, etc on my computer, certain keys on my keyboard will suddenly stop working after playing for a 20-25 minutes. The keys that stop working would always be g,h,esc,",alt. Not only would it stop working in...
  10. Laptop keyboard typing double letters on certain keys

Laptop keyboard typing double letters on certain keys: My laptop keyboard is typing double letters on certain keys An example: t is t5, y is y6, [ is [-, and ] is ]\. Is there anyway to fix that problem?...