Windows 10: Letter keys on the keyboard won't type intermittently not a hardware issue

Discus and support Letter keys on the keyboard won't type intermittently not a hardware issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Win10 Edu 1909 Tried two keyboard, one is Logitech K380 Bluetooth fresh battery, the other one is a wired Apple keyboard. Both works fine most of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gjs123_056, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Letter keys on the keyboard won't type intermittently not a hardware issue

Win10 Edu 1909

Tried two keyboard, one is Logitech K380 Bluetooth fresh battery, the other one is a wired Apple keyboard.

Both works fine most of the time. It is very little chance for hardware problem here. Both works on other devices.

Just very recently, the letter keys won't type intermittently without warning.

Meanwhile, other keys like Windows button, Ctrl, `~ Keys, etc. can type.

Both keyboard had the same symptom.

After a reboot or wait some time, keyboard can suddenly type again.

I did virus scan, no problem. Win10 is up-to-date.

:)

gjs123_056, Nov 27, 2020
  2. Darshan J Win User

When numlock is on, my desktop keyboard types numbers instead of letters

Hello Vicky,

Please help us with the below information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your laptop?
    This issue might occur if function key in the keyboard is enabled. So as an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the function key in the key board and make sure that it is not enabled.

If the issue still persists you can run Hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Suggest you to follow the steps below and run the
    Hardware and Device
    troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on troubleshooting, then click on “Hardware and sound”.
    • Under Hardware and sound, click on “hardware and devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next" button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.
    Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Darshan J, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Nov 27, 2020
  4. v_realo Win User

Letter keys on the keyboard won't type intermittently not a hardware issue

Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Hi flemmingknudsen,

I’m Rey, your Independent Advisor.

I understand you are having trouble with your keyboard which types numbers instead of letters. Let me help you with this.

I understand that you have tried the num lock key and it's the same outcome.

Have you tried to press Fn key + Num lock? If not, try it and see if it will fix the concern.

If still it will not fix the issue, follow this steps:

1.Press Windows Key + R then type osk and hit Enter to open On-Screen Keyboard.

2.Turn off Num Lock by clicking on it (If it is ON it will be shown in different color).

3.If you can’t see the Num lock then click on Options.

4.Checkmark “Turn on numeric key pad” and click OK.

5.This will enable the NumLock option and you could easily turn it off.

6.Reboot your PC to save changes.

Lastly, sometimes 3rd party software can conflict with Hardware such as Keyboard and can cause this issue. In order to Fix Keyboard Typing Numbers Instead of Letters issue, you need to perform a clean boot on your PC .

1. Press windows key + R, then type msconfig.

2. Select In General tab, select Selective Start up, put a check mark on load system services and unchecked "Load start up items".

Let me know if you still have issues after these steps and let's work on this together.

I believe that these steps will help you solve this issue you have. If not, kindly contact me and let me know.

v_realo, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

Letter keys on the keyboard won't type intermittently not a hardware issue

1. Letter keys on the keyboard won't type intermittently not a hardware issue - Similar Threads - Letter keys keyboard

2. Keyboard keys typing 2 letters at once

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keys typing 2 letters at once: whenever i press "q a z" it types "wq sa xz" and same happends for "w s x" ,even my numbers and esc are doing the same thing, its only the last 2 columns of keys on the left of my keyboard and its not chatteringis it bc it was downloading some thing from steam but paused it...
  3. Keyboard keys typing 2 letters at once

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard keys typing 2 letters at once: whenever i press "q a z" it types "wq sa xz" and same happends for "w s x" ,even my numbers and esc are doing the same thing, its only the last 2 columns of keys on the left of my keyboard and its not chatteringis it bc it was downloading some thing from steam but paused it...
  4. Keyboard keys typing 2 letters at once

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. keyboard won't type specific key

keyboard won't type specific key: So i've had this laptop for about five or six years? don't remember, but it's in good condition. About two and a half years ago my 'T' key won't always process so it won't type. Right now obviously it's typing, but at times it can go for tens of minutes without being able to...
  6. keyboard won't type specific key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard won't type specific key: So i've had this laptop for about five or six years? don't remember, but it's in good condition. About two and a half years ago my 'T' key won't always process so it won't type. Right now obviously it's typing, but at times it can go for tens of minutes without being able to...
  7. keyboard won't type specific key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Chinese Keyboard Won't Type Certain Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chinese Keyboard Won't Type Certain Letters: The Chinese Keyboard in language settings won't let me type certain letters such as X, I, U, V so I'm not able to type out certain words such as "xia"...
  9. Login Keyboard Letter Keys Won't Work

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Keyboard Letter Keys Won't Work: This morning the letters keys on my keyboard won't work at login pin. Everything else works, just the letters. I tried different keyboards. Filter keys is off....
  10. Keyboard issues... typing the wrong letters

Keyboard issues... typing the wrong letters: Hi, I have been having issues with the keyboard typing the wrong letters and punctuation, as I type. I have tried numerous keyboards and get the same results....