Windows 10: LG Bluray Player, WH16NS40, very slow on a clean Win10 install

Discus and support LG Bluray Player, WH16NS40, very slow on a clean Win10 install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Folks, I have an LG WH16NS40, SATA, in my rig. I've just performed a clean Win10 install. The drive (Bluray) is VERRRRY slow. I've got the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by iamc3k, Dec 26, 2015.

1. iamc3k Win User

LG Bluray Player, WH16NS40, very slow on a clean Win10 install

Folks,

I have an LG WH16NS40, SATA, in my rig. I've just performed a clean Win10 install. The drive (Bluray) is VERRRRY slow. I've got the latest firmware (released almost a year ago, v1.02). Device manager shows Win10 using driver version 10.0.10586.0 from June 21, 2006.

I've got to think that there's newer/better driver software available. (My understanding is that any DVD/BR drive uses Windows drivers and only firmware can be updated from the manufacturer.)

Is there a standard benchmark to run which would quantify the speed?

Is there a better/newer driver I could use?

Manufacturer's product link: LG Internal Blu Ray DVD Drive WH16NS40 | LG Electronics US

Thanks,
    Ken

:)

iamc3k, Dec 26, 2015

2. Windows 10 and Bluray burner WH16NS40 now recognized after installation

I previously had problems with my Dell XPS8900 being able to recognize a new installation of an LG bluray player WH16NS40. Johnny at Dell support provided the solution for me. The middle power supply should go to the bluray burner and the bottom supply goes
    to the DVD player that came with my computer. It is an XPS 8900 Dell desktop. So I swapped the DVD player to the bottom bay and put the bluray player in the top bay and reconnected the 2 power supplies and both were recognized. Not sure why it worked for me
    but it does! I would also like to thank Arul D for his help from the Microsoft community.

RonaldTaylorT, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Internal LG burner installed but not recognized in Windows 10

Thank you for the suggestions. I updated the latest chipset drivers for my Dell computer and also rescanned and refreshed as you suggested. When I look at the drives on my computer, the bluray burner drive does not show up as an option to select. The bluray
    burner did not come with any software at all. I went to LG's website for drivers for WH16NS40 bluray burner and it lists software and firmware updates but these seem to be related to people who upgraded to Windows 10 from another version. I started to go ahead
    and install but there was a warning that the drive could be corrupted so I was afraid to download it. I have the LG version bluray burner.

RonaldTaylorT, Dec 26, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

As 10586 is the latest released build of Windows 10, I think you have the latest driver. (The same shows in my system.)

I have never used a benchmarking program. I burn most optical disks with Nero, which reports the instantaneous burning data rate.

I haven't noticed any slowdowns under Windows 10 with my drive, which is exactly the same model as yours. I may have never updated the firmware on it, though. I'm at 1.00.

(Edit: ) I lied. Nero does not report the actual burn rate. (Nero reports the read rate during the optional data verification. Useful mainly for entertainment, I suppose.)

I update the firmware to 1.02. It took about a minute to burn 300 MB to a CD at a nominal 48X. (That's exclusive of the lead in and out.) An actual 48X data rate would require 40 seconds, and the maximum data rate is usually achieved only near the outer edge of the CD, so I think that all is well. Haven't tested any DVDs or BDs today.

bobkn, Dec 27, 2015
  5. iamc3k Win User
    Thanks! Those are some good stats for me to use to check mine out.

Ken

iamc3k, Dec 27, 2015
  6. rodeohog Win User
    I too have the same burner and it is incredibly slow to read a blu-ray disk/movie. I've been chasing this problem for a while. Originally I had a LG wh14ns40, but it started making bad copies which I finally realized it was the burner. So I purchased a Pioneer dbk209 bd burner. When I try to make a backup of my bluray movie it reads at 2x. 3-4 hours left to finish. I went online and read about riplock which I never could find a solution for this particular drive. Believing that I had a useless burner I ordered the LG wh16ns40 (I have three computers anyway) and installed it only to find out that it too would only read 2x. At this frustrating point I took the pioneer up to my other main computer, installed it and put in my movie and read and burned my copy really fast, like it was supposed to do. Therefore I am at a loss as to why the computer running windows 10 is so slow, but my other computer running win 7 ultimate reads and burns just fine. Both computers have the same MB. The computers have different video card models but are both nvidia. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti for this computer which burns correctly and think downstairs is a Radeon 550. I'm not sure that has anything to do with it though. At this point I do not even know where to look to solve this. Only thing I have found online discusses "riplock" as the culprit but as I said that apparently isn't the problem here because it works fine in the win 7 computer. That's why I think win 10 is what causes it. Appreciate any insights on this subject. Also, the Windows 10 is an upgrade from Win 8.1 which was an upgrade from Win 8.0. I do not have a Windows 10 disk and of course Microsoft long ago made my windows 8.0 disk useless which I didn't know it would do, but I have no problem except I don't have a disk to insert for certain things like making a recovery disk, or replacing corrupt files, etc. anything that would require you to insert the main disk.

rodeohog, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. LG Bluray Player, WH16NS40, very slow on a clean Win10 install - Similar Threads - Bluray Player WH16NS40

2. installating programs is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installating programs is very slow: hello,I recently have problems with my PCeverything worked fine except 2 days ago I notice that installing programs are very slow althrough I use an pcie 4.0 ssdalso games freezes after a few secondswhat I tried was:update my graphics cardreinstalling windows 11did memory...
  3. installating programs is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installating programs is very slow: hello,I recently have problems with my PCeverything worked fine except 2 days ago I notice that installing programs are very slow althrough I use an pcie 4.0 ssdalso games freezes after a few secondswhat I tried was:update my graphics cardreinstalling windows 11did memory...
  4. Is My LG WH16NS40 Optical Drive There or Not?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is My LG WH16NS40 Optical Drive There or Not?: I am using a LG WH16NS40 DVD/Blu-ray drive on a desktop system running Windows 10 Pro 2004. Suddenly the drive no longer appears in the navigation (left) pane in Windows File Explorer. It still appears in the right pane, but when I double-click on it, I get a dialog saying,...
  5. BluRay Drive LG WH16NS40 Not Detected by Windows

BluRay Drive LG WH16NS40 Not Detected by Windows: Hi! I use an HP laptop with Windows 10. And for the life of me, I cannot get the system to detect the internal Bluray drive I purchased secondhand to burn a few discs. The drive is connected via an SATA to USB cable, but it does not show up anywhere in the device manager...
  6. All Apps very slow after clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All Apps very slow after clean install of Windows 10: I replaced the Harddrive in my laptop with an SSD, installed a fresh copy of windows 10. There are no apps / programs installed, Microsoft Edge is extremely slow. I downloaded Google, Firefox, this is the same. I carried out another clean install, incase something got...
  7. Very Slow Windows 10 Updates After Clean Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Very Slow Windows 10 Updates After Clean Install: I have been upgrading my four computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 doing clean installs on each computer. The upgrades go smoothly until I start downloading all of the updates needed. The first two rounds of six or so updates each download and install very fast; within 10 -...
  8. Very slow (hours) to boot on clean install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very slow (hours) to boot on clean install: Hello I have been having this problem even before I managed to install Windows 10. Initially I downloaded using Windows Media Creation Tool a copy of Windows 10 onto a USB, and booting from this was taking 15 minutes+ regularly. I'm not quite sure how but after formatting...
  9. BluRay player

BluRay player: Where can I download a Microsoft ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluray-player/3ab36b30-0ac0-49ca-b572-395641d573bc
  10. win10 very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win10 very slow: hi anyone help with this problem please, my win10 acer laptop has suddenly become " very very slow " downloading anything.takes ages. i have done the following without any success, 1.emptied the recycling bin. 2.emptied cookies / cache ( using opera`, but have also tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lg wh16ns40 windows 10 driver

2. wh14ns40 slow