Windows 10: Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name

Discus and support Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A few days ago I discovered that my C drive was almost full because only 76 GB had been assigned to it. Instead of thinking about it carefully I went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PennWooding, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name

A few days ago I discovered that my C drive was almost full because only 76 GB had been assigned to it. Instead of thinking about it carefully I went ahead and assigned an unallocated partition of 900 kB to a new drive which I named H. Then in file Explorer I pointed all the libraries to the new drive. It was then that I realised I'd made a big mistake. I hadn't first created any subfolders for documents, music, pictures, videos or downloads. So basically, when I moved everything it all got dumped under the drive all mixed together. I then found out that it was actually very easy to increase the size of a drive using mini tools partition Wizard. So that is what I did, I increased the size of the C drive.
    Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name [​IMG]Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name [​IMG]
    When I went into file Explorer all the libraries were still named H. However, I had deleted this partition plus the drive altogether. Then I did something which I can't quite remember which change the name to documents. Thinking I knew what I was doing I went into properties and change the name to downloads. Now I'm completely stuck.
    Any advice would be grateful

:)

PennWooding, Sep 6, 2019
  2. RevoLand Win User

Steam Library Manager (Free/Open-Source/C#/v1.4.4)

Steam Library Manager (SLM) is a tool to manage your Steam Libraries quick and easy. With SLM you can administrate all of your games and backups from one place. Drag and drop between libraries and backup folders with ease. Works with existing Steam Backups or opt to use SLM's open system for fast updates and quick access to game files.

Benefits to using SLM over Steam Backup:
    • Backups can be updated quickly. No need to recreate the entire backup from scratch.
    • Backup files are open and easily accessible.
    • Workshop content and mods such as ENB, ReShade, and SweetFX get backed up automatically.
    • Faster backups, faster restores, works with or without Steam running.
    • Compression is available for those who want to keep things lean.
    • Built-in library cleaner for leftovers.
    • Free & Open-Source, MIT license.
    Screenshots:

Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name LibraryTab.png

Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name TaskManagerTab.png

Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name LibraryCleanerTab.png

Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name SettingsTab.png

Links:
    Latest Release (v1.4.4)
    GitHub Page (Sources)
    Steam Group

All suggestions are welcome and will help further development of SLM.

RevoLand, Sep 6, 2019
  3. File Explorer Libraries resetting on Wondows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that help.

Method 1: Restore Default Libraries.

Let’s first check if this happens only when you navigate through the Library directory. If yes, then this might be due to the corrupted or damaged library files or settings. So, let’s, first delete the Library folders from
    the windows explorer and then we can restore the default libraries and check if that works. You may follow these steps:

• Open the “File Explorer” from the desktop interface by clicking on its icon on the taskbar.
    • Right click on the Library items and click on “Delete”.
    Note: Deleting a library does not delete the contents of the included folders. However, you may need to re-add or include your folders manually, if needed.

3. Right click on the Library icon in the Navigation pane of the window.

4. Click on “Restore default libraries”.

5. This recreates the library that you just deleted.

6. Now try to attach/upload the files from the Library directories and check if the issue still persists.

If the issue persists, then let’s run an
    SFC Scan to check if this is caused by any corrupted or damaged protected system files.

Method 2: SFC Scan

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

• Select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

• At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press

• sfc /scannow
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the scan.

Important: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 6, 2019
  4. Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name

Libraries?? What's the difference between Windows Media Player Libraries and File Explorer Libraries?

Hi Community,

I am trying to find out

1: how to use Windows 10 File Explorer libraries?

2: what libraries are for?

3: how Windows 10 File Explorer libraries are different or similar to Windows Media Player libraries?

4: Where does Windows Media Player get its media database from?

I see Libraries listed in File Explorer and the subfolders Music, Pictures, Videos.

I have found out how to add folders to them. (by right clicking the folder I want to add and clicking 'include in library', then choose the appropriate library for the file type).

When I open Windows Media Player, I can choose Music, Pictures or Video from the list on the left of the player. However, the files in Windows Media Player Video Library are not the same ones as the files I've added to the File Explorer Video Library.

Any helpful advice appreciated.

EvelynMorton, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name

1. Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name - Similar Threads - Libraries file Explorer

2. Same file name on same folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Same file name on same folder: Hi . I have windows 10 And it hepend few times that i same file name and same file format qt the same folderThis time i didnt change the name of the exact filesI just download the files from email and download two times than put them on the same folder..and it let me...Ive...
  3. Same file name on same folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Same file name on same folder: Hi . I have windows 10 And it hepend few times that i same file name and same file format qt the same folderThis time i didnt change the name of the exact filesI just download the files from email and download two times than put them on the same folder..and it let me...Ive...
  4. Fix for source and destination have the same name message

Fix for source and destination have the same name message: I am running windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop and when I tried to drag a file to my dvd-rw I kept getting the destination and source are the same message but I found if you open file explorer and scroll down to your cdrw or dvdrw drive and open it then drag the file to the box...
  5. Fix for source and destination have the same name message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for source and destination have the same name message: I am running windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop and when I tried to drag a file to my dvd-rw I kept getting the destination and source are the same message but I found if you open file explorer and scroll down to your cdrw or dvdrw drive and open it then drag the file to the box...
  6. Fix for source and destination have the same name message

7. Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name

Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name: Hi! My computer is running really slow and I was advised to created a partition to separate my program files from all other files in my computer. I went ahead and made the partition. Then in file Explorer I pointed all the libraries to the new drive however I hadn't first...
  8. Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name: Hi! My computer is running really slow and I was advised to created a partition to separate my program files from all other files in my computer. I went ahead and made the partition. Then in file Explorer I pointed all the libraries to the new drive however I hadn't first...
  9. Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name

10. the source and destination file names are the same

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the source and destination file names are the same: I get this message when trying burn files to a DVD using DVD as active storage. I can only choose Skip or Cancel. I've done both. When I move the DVD to another computer it doesn't show the files have been burned onto the DVD....