Windows 10: Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders

Discus and support Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, as suggested by Brink, I started a new thread for this issue. Brink you stated ''Just to note, that folders in a library share the same folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zardoc, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Zardoc Win User

Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders

So, as suggested by Brink, I started a new thread for this issue.

Brink you stated ''Just to note, that folders in a library share the same folder view as it was when last closed. This isn't the same as the folders in "This PC".

Yes, this is (supposed to be) true *Smile.

Up to Windows 8.1 when you chose a view to folders in a specific library this view would apply to all sub folders of that library and stay if closed and re opened. This would work by individual library. *sarc

Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders [​IMG]

So, I chose my view, closed the library, re opened and looked at a sub file. Here is the result.

Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders [​IMG]

As you can see, the setting does not apply to the sub folders of that library. It will apply to all the main folders only. Each sub folder has to be set individually in view settings. This makes no sense and is really not practical. *Sad

Like I said, this is a step back from earlier versions of Windows. I've looked everywhere for a fix but I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your help.

:)

Zardoc, Sep 19, 2016

2. View settings not applied to Library sub-folders

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and update.

Your efforts to work on this issue is very much appreciated.

Follow these steps to check if that helps.

• Open Control Panel.

• Click on File Explorer options.

• Click on General tab and click on Restore Defaults.

• Click Apply and ok to close that window.
    Once this is done restart the computer to check if that helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Sep 19, 2016
  3. View settings not applied to Library sub-folders

You need to recheck all your customised settings as you will find many have changed as a result of upgrading.

Gerry C J Cornell, Sep 19, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I've always had better luck making those settings in C:\Users and my log-in name. Libraries appear to be merely shortcuts to the actual Folders.

Berton, Sep 19, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Zardoc, *Smile

Usually you should be able to close the library after making the folder view changes helps to help make them be applied to all folders in the library.

Brink, Sep 19, 2016
  6. Zardoc Win User
    Hi Shawn,

Yep that's also true, but it doesn't work. I don't know what the issue is.

It's a clean Install. *Confused

Zardoc, Sep 19, 2016
  7. Zardoc Win User
    Hi Berton,

Tried that. No go. *Rolleyes

Zardoc, Sep 21, 2016
  8. Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders

yup, same issue here. no matter what you've set for every template view (outside and inside of Libraries), every single subfolder is set to the original "default" view (the one you get when you pick Reset Folders). Doing a properties, customize+apply-template-to-each-subfolder, doesn't do it. Neither does choosing "Optimize this library for:".

Microsoft is so so so shitty at fixing things...

losedows10, Oct 20, 2016
  9. losedows10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders - Similar Threads - Libraries View set

2. Need help with W11 "apply to all sub-folders".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with W11 "apply to all sub-folders".: This is a repost from a W10 post now I have the same problem with W11...Yes, I know, right click on a folder, select "Properties" then the "Customize" tab, then click "Always apply..." However, it never works. For example, I'll try to organize my music files so each folder...
  3. Need help with W11 "apply to all sub-folders".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with W11 "apply to all sub-folders".: This is a repost from a W10 post now I have the same problem with W11...Yes, I know, right click on a folder, select "Properties" then the "Customize" tab, then click "Always apply..." However, it never works. For example, I'll try to organize my music files so each folder...
  4. Apply View Format to all Sub-folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Apply View Format to all Sub-folders: I'm trying to set all of the sub-folders that roll up to a particular folder have Details as their View format. This used to be easy to do, just go into View-Options, but now it seems like you can only cascade by file type, which is... less than useful.Is there a way I can...
  5. Apply View Format to all Sub-folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apply View Format to all Sub-folders: I'm trying to set all of the sub-folders that roll up to a particular folder have Details as their View format. This used to be easy to do, just go into View-Options, but now it seems like you can only cascade by file type, which is... less than useful.Is there a way I can...
  6. Apply View Format to all Sub-folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Explorer How do I set view to apply to all folders and sub folders AND THEIR FILES?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer How do I set view to apply to all folders and sub folders AND THEIR FILES?: I would like to show the Comments column in the File Explorer view for all files not folders. Is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-how-do-i-set-view-to-apply-to-all/0e39a8e6-9f59-4066-89ab-a63f8ab51d99
  8. Windows 10 folder view options are applying to ALL folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 folder view options are applying to ALL folders: So it was my understanding that when you go into view options, and click "Apply to Folders" that it only applies to folders of a that type. For me, it seems to be a blanket setting. Am i misunderstanding how its supposed to function? I go into my videos folder and set...
  9. Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ?: Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ? Windows 10 ; Folder view I have set to view dimensions of images for easy reference. I want all windows I open to display this information also . I tried the Apply to All folders , button, in View Options menu....
  10. Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders: I've been reading up on applying Folder View settings to either All Folders or all folders of the same type, but neither of those is quite what I'm looking for. Specifically, I'd like to write my own utility that reads the folder view settings for any given folder (I...