Windows 10: Licence activation on replacement machine after I lost my laptop

Discus and support Licence activation on replacement machine after I lost my laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've lost my laptop which had Windows 10 installed on it (originally purchased as Windows 7 then upgraded). I have acquired an old desktop from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Brian247100, May 17, 2019.

1. Licence activation on replacement machine after I lost my laptop

I've lost my laptop which had Windows 10 installed on it (originally purchased as Windows 7 then upgraded).

I have acquired an old desktop from a friend and installed Windows 10. It is not activated currently.

Is It possible to transfer activation from my lost laptop to this desktop machine. I was told by a Microsoft agent that the desktop would activate after I logged in using my windows user name and password but this has not happened.

:)

Brian247100, May 17, 2019
  2. [Mike]# Win User

Changing to a replacement laptop and my digital licence

Hi ,

Okay, after a lot of hardware difficulties with my former laptop, it has been retired.

My replacement laptop has better specs and should be able to run the same system,

this being Win10 pro.

I have no access to the old laptop now, only the 'new' machine.

I did go into my account and associated the new machine and cleared the old one.

My question is does this automatically mean i can make a full install with my usb win10

and link my digital licence, or are there other steps i need to do first?

Although I've looked for this answer, all i got was more doubt as i read more about it.

If i mess up this install i will be totally without any working computer, so i want to be sure.

Thanks for your help.

[Mike]#, May 17, 2019
  3. Lost activation after virtual machine migration

Thanks for confirming my question.

I tried activation via Chat Support, then they noticed me that my Windows 10 with my company's volume key can't be reactivated by telephone activation center, and suggested me to reinstall Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10.

However, this is the worst solution, because I don't even know what I did when I was doing the migration of virtual machines caused my Windows 10 lost its activation.

Naoki Rinmous, May 17, 2019
  4. Licence activation on replacement machine after I lost my laptop

Laptop dying - need to transfer Win 10 to replacement machine.

Thanks Andre,

I had an online chat with MS Tech guy and he has suggested that I uninstall the licence on the old W10 machine using the command
    "slmgr.vbs -upk" and then install the licence on the new machine . Obviously I haven't tried this as presumably if this command uninstalls the W10 licence it will render the old system inoperable. And once I've uninstalled the licence on the old machine
    how do I then install it on the new machine which is running W7?

I terms of getting W10 on to the new system a couple of options spring to mind:

1. Go down the Windows 10 upgrade route. Not too keen as would prefer clean installation as need to repartition hdd.

2. Use W10 installation DVD downloaded from MS website about a year back.

In either scenario when does the uninstalled licence get installed? And how? Maybe the 'slmgr' command generates a file to transport it across. I know not. Any help appreciated!

Pidgeonpost, May 17, 2019
Thema:

Licence activation on replacement machine after I lost my laptop

1. Licence activation on replacement machine after I lost my laptop - Similar Threads - Licence activation replacement

2. Lost activation after replacing motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost activation after replacing motherboard.: I know this has been asked much, and I followed all methods suggested but nothing is working for me.I changed my motherboard today and I lost my activation. It shows "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has been changed." but troubleshooting does not fix it.I'm...
  3. Lost activation after replacing motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost activation after replacing motherboard.: I know this has been asked much, and I followed all methods suggested but nothing is working for me.I changed my motherboard today and I lost my activation. It shows "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has been changed." but troubleshooting does not fix it.I'm...
  4. I lost my digital licence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost my digital licence: Hi, i have a dell laptop and it had windows 10 activated but i didnt link it with a microsoft account. Then i formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows using the media creation tool, now it says that its not activatederror 0xc004f213Did i lose the license?...
  5. I lost my digital licence

I lost my digital licence: Hi, i have a dell laptop and it had windows 10 activated but i didnt link it with a microsoft account. Then i formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows using the media creation tool, now it says that its not activatederror 0xc004f213Did i lose the license?...
  6. I lost my digital licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Cannot activate windows with my digital licence after installing it on a new machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot activate windows with my digital licence after installing it on a new machine.: Due to a hardware issue I was forced to buy a new computer and install Windows fresh to the new machine's C Drive.I have a digital licence attached to my Microsoft account and yet I cannot activate windows on this new machine. Windows cannot find a product key, and...
  8. Cannot activate windows with my digital licence after installing it on a new machine.

Cannot activate windows with my digital licence after installing it on a new machine.: Due to a hardware issue I was forced to buy a new computer and install Windows fresh to the new machine's C Drive.I have a digital licence attached to my Microsoft account and yet I cannot activate windows on this new machine. Windows cannot find a product key, and...
  9. proper virtual machine licencing and activation

proper virtual machine licencing and activation: We're medium sized engineering business and would like to properly license the use of Windows (XP, 7 and 10) virtual machines. We will be using VMWare Workstation for our staff and they will need access to a pool of about 20 different VMs. The idea is that a staff member will...
  10. Windows activation lost after replacing motherboard

Windows activation lost after replacing motherboard: So I'm asking here because I can't actually put in a support ticket because the windows site is shit. I had to replace a motherboard and now my windows is saying it's not a legitimate copy despite the fact that I HAVE paid for it. It was in a bundle build and I do not have...