Windows 10: Licence Key Reactivation

Discus and support Licence Key Reactivation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a Windows 10 Pro retail licence key years ago which was said to be transferable. I've just bought a brand new computer, but I am using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Marci Csiki-Mara, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Licence Key Reactivation

I purchased a Windows 10 Pro retail licence key years ago which was said to be transferable. I've just bought a brand new computer, but I am using the same drives as I used to so I had to format them and completely reinstall Windows, wiping the originally activated Windows with it.

I wrote down the code when I purchased it and it's still in my phone, but when I am trying to activate it, it says that the Licence Key has already been used on another device.

Is there a way to use it on my new pc or it's completely lost?

:)

Marci Csiki-Mara, Aug 28, 2020
  2. Jelu Cal Win User

Change of licence key- Windows 10

Hi,

The second option that you've posted is actually the best way of moving a hard disk drive to another device. We'd recommend updating the product key once the hard disk drive of machine 1 is already attached to machine 2. To do this, you can perform the following:

• Search and launch Settings using Cortana.
    • Click on Update & Security.
    • Click on the Activation option.
    • Click on Change product key.
    • Enter machine 2's product key.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts.

We'd recommend performing the steps posted on this
    link
    should the steps posted above don't suffice. The steps are intended for reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.

In the event that the recommended steps didn't work for you, we'd recommend contacting our support team. To do this, click on this

link

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Jelu Cal, Aug 28, 2020
  3. kps-uk Win User
    Reinstalling Windows 10 without a licence key

Hi,

I have a 10 year old laptop which originally was running Windows Vista. Due to the manufacturer date of the laptop, I was entitled to the free upgrade to Windows 7, which I kept until the roll-out of the Windows 10 upgrade. When my laptop upgraded to Windows
    10, I did not pay for the upgrade and did not receive a licence key.

1. If I go to the Windows 10 download tool and select install with the 'keep Nothing during the upgrade' option, will I require a licence key?
    2. Can I build the laptop from scratch if it was originally a Visa machine or will I need to step from Vista to 8.1 to 10?
    Regards

Keith

kps-uk, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Licence Key Reactivation

Windows 10 licence reactivation

Hi,

I recently upgraded hardware in my PC. I checked the Microsoft website for details on reactivating windows after this update and followed the instructions with regards to linking my digital licence to my Microsoft account.

When I finished my upgrade and tried to reactivate it I got a message saying it was unable to. I contacted customer support who were pretty clueless.

The support assistant first of all told me it was because it was OEM. This wasn't the case, it was a retail copy of windows 8 that I had bought and upgraded to Windows 10. He then said he needed the product key, which I no longer have, despite the fact microsofts
    guide said if I had a digital licence linked to my account I wouldn't need a product key anymore.

I feel like I'm being scammed to buy another Windows licence. I checked Microsofts own instructions before carrying out the upgrade to make sure I'd be able to transfer my windows licence, now I was being told to pay for another copy.

After a long discussion going round in circles the advisor said he'd arrange a call back by the advanced technical team this morning between 8am and 9am. It's now 11am and no-one has called and I've had to cancel a gym appointment. This whole experience
    is shocking customer support, what should be a simple task according to the website has been a total farce.

Is it likely I'm ever going to receive the promised call or are they just trying to wear me down to force me to pay for my copy of windows again?

CD.

ChasDevenney, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Licence Key Reactivation

1. Licence Key Reactivation - Similar Threads - Licence Key Reactivation

2. Windows reactivate/where is my licence key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows reactivate/where is my licence key: So i sold my old motherboard that i activated my windows10pro first time... It is product keyI dowloaded win11 first time in like january and it automatically activated it after i loged in.But win11 was so bad reinstalled win10 after some day and its activated again...
  3. Windows reactivate/where is my licence key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows reactivate/where is my licence key: So i sold my old motherboard that i activated my windows10pro first time... It is product keyI dowloaded win11 first time in like january and it automatically activated it after i loged in.But win11 was so bad reinstalled win10 after some day and its activated again...
  4. Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence: I have my work laptop with Windows 10, and I want to reinstall Windows. I see that I have digital license.When I followed Learn more link Activate Windows microsoft.com I find this:Activate using a digital licenseDigital licenses are associated with your hardware and linked...
  5. Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence: I have my work laptop with Windows 10, and I want to reinstall Windows. I see that I have digital license.When I followed Learn more link Activate Windows microsoft.com I find this:Activate using a digital licenseDigital licenses are associated with your hardware and linked...
  6. Reactivation of Windows with a digital licence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Digital licence reactivation

Digital licence reactivation: I have a computer running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview activated with a Digital licence linked to my Microsoft account and I was wondering if I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro by erasing my HDD, will it activate automatically?...
  8. Windows 10 Licence Reactivation

Windows 10 Licence Reactivation: Hello, This is Shamim from Bangladesh. I am using Asus Zenbook 14, Model UX433fn. After reinstalling windows 10, I have lost my licence. Could someone help me to solve this issue. My PC's serial number is JBN0CV12890547C. Waiting to here form anyone soon. Thanks,...
  9. Windows 10 licence reactivation

Windows 10 licence reactivation: Hi, I recently upgraded hardware in my PC. I checked the Microsoft website for details on reactivating windows after this update and followed the instructions with regards to linking my digital licence to my Microsoft account. When I finished my upgrade and tried to...
  10. reactivating digital licence

reactivating digital licence: mother board died in my laptop replaced it with a new one now it wont reactivate. Keeps saying your windows is not activated. Can anyone assist? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reactivating-digital-licence/a987bcb4-c596-4aad-bb34-9b056fe111bc"