Windows 10: Licence not linked to Microsoft Account

Discus and support Licence not linked to Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I got my Mum a new PC to replace her current one as it's been having some hardware issues. I changed her from a local account login to using her... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by doveman, May 28, 2020.

1. doveman Win User

Licence not linked to Microsoft Account

I got my Mum a new PC to replace her current one as it's been having some hardware issues. I changed her from a local account login to using her outlook.com account and that's fine but it doesn't seem to have linked her licence with her MS account, as when I login with her outlook.com account on the new PC it's not activated. Selecting "Troubleshoot" returns "We weren't able to activate Windows on this devices" and clicking "I recently changed hardware on this device" returns "We cant find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used to reactivate the device that youre using at the moment. Make sure that youre signed in with the same Microsoft account that you linked to the Windows 10 digital licence on this device, or try again later. "

Her old PC was upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and it says "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft Account". At https://account.microsoft.com it shows two devices, her old PC with Windows 10 Pro v1903 and her new one with Windows 10 Pro v1909 and neither say activated but maybe it's not meant to say that there?

So what do I need to do to get Windows on her new PC activated?

:)

doveman, May 28, 2020

2. How to verify that my Windows 10 licence is associated with my Hotmail/Microsoft account

Do those steps:

• Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-I to open the Settings application.
    • Select Update & Security.
    • Select Activation

Licence not linked to Microsoft Account SU1Ru.png

Here you see the current status. If the account has no licence you can click on Add an account, enter your account data and the account gets the license added.

You can see this in the next step in the same dialog:

Licence not linked to Microsoft Account Gc0yx.png

magicandre1981, May 28, 2020
  3. doveman Win User

I got my Mum a new PC to replace her current one as it's been having some hardware issues. I changed her from a local account login to using her outlook.com account and that's fine but it doesn't seem to have linked her licence with her MS account, as when I login with her outlook.com account on the new PC it's not activated. Selecting "Troubleshoot" returns "We weren't able to activate Windows on this devices" and clicking "I recently changed hardware on this device" returns "We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used to reactivate the device that you’re using at the moment. Make sure that you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account that you linked to the Windows 10 digital licence on this device, or try again later. "

Her old PC was upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and it says "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft Account". At https://account.microsoft.com it shows two devices, her old PC with Windows 10 Pro v1903 and her new one with Windows 10 Pro v1909 and neither say activated but maybe it's not meant to say that there?

So what do I need to do to get Windows on her new PC activated?

doveman, May 28, 2020
  4. doveman Win User

The new PC is secondhand with a clean install of Windows 10 but as her Windows 10 licence is linked to her MS Account I understood that this allowed her to reactivate if she changed hardware. I'm logged in on the new PC with her MS Account rather than a local account.

doveman, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Licence not linked to Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Licence linked Microsoft

2. "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account": Hi! I want to get a new SSD and was wondering if my edition of windows 11 would transfer to the new SSD if i download windows 11 and log into Microsoft on it. If not i would like to know if there is any way i could transfer my edition of windows 11 to a new SSD....
  3. "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account": Hi! I want to get a new SSD and was wondering if my edition of windows 11 would transfer to the new SSD if i download windows 11 and log into Microsoft on it. If not i would like to know if there is any way i could transfer my edition of windows 11 to a new SSD....
  4. Linked Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Linked Microsoft account: My laptop is dying, I've bought a new laptop. Problem is, is that im in china, firstly does anyone know how to change the language, if possible. and secondly how do i find out what Microsoft account is connected to windows, so i can use the same account on my new laptop...
  5. How to link digital licence to Microsoft account on a local user account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to link digital licence to Microsoft account on a local user account: I have a new computer with Windows 10 Pro. It is activated. I log in to the computer with a local account, let’s say username “pen” and password “paper”. In activation settings, there is an option to link a Microsoft account to a digital licence. I did this and it said it...
  6. linking to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    linking to Microsoft account: I am new to Windows 10 pro version actually which came with a second-hand laptop which I purchased. The firm selling their older laptops had Windows 7 in place and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro before selling, I am using it now as the new owner and at the moment it works...
  7. Problem to link my Microsoft account to my Windows 10 licence

Problem to link my Microsoft account to my Windows 10 licence: Hi I am having trouble to link my Windows 10 licence to my Microsoft account. The licence is activated with a digital licence, but not linked to my Microsoft account it says. To be clear. I have achieved nr 1, but I want nr 2. 1: " Windows is activated with a digital...
  8. Link a microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Link a microsoft account: How can I link my Microsoft (@hotmail.com) account to my Windows 10 computer without changing my current username and login? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/link-a-microsoft-account/fa8d39bc-031f-4442-8abd-61e54604212d
  9. Can a windows licence linked to my microsoft account be transferred

Can a windows licence linked to my microsoft account be transferred: I apologise if this has been asked before. I currently have 2 PCs: 1 has windows 10 home (personal licence) registered to my microsoft account. 1 has windows 10 Pro (personal licence) also registered to my microsoft account. The PC with home installed I am looking at...
  10. Linking digital licences to MS Account.

Linking digital licences to MS Account.: We all now that we can link the digital licence now to our MS account, using Redstone. However, I have just discovered something slightly disconcerting. I have 14393.5 Home, upgraded from retail 8.1 on my PC, and it was registered as a device on my MS account, and shows...