Windows 10: Licence questions about home premium retail version

Discus and support Licence questions about home premium retail version in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello I have windows 7 home premium , but apparently it is OEM, so cannot take to another machine or when I do a big upgrade. If I do the windows free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ianmozzy, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ianmozzy Win User

Licence questions about home premium retail version

Hello
    I have windows 7 home premium , but apparently it is OEM, so cannot take to another machine or when I do a big upgrade. If I do the windows free upgrade to windows 10, it is still apparently tied to the computer.

I was looking at buying windows 10 home premium retail but have a few questions.

Firstly, I understand it is not tied to specific hardware, but can only be on one PC at a time. Is that correct?
    I understand windows 10 is the last OS microsoft will make, so it makes sense to be able to use it in future computers if I buy another , or if I do large upgrades to the hardware. Is that also true?

Could I run dual boot with windows 7 and 10 in the mean time, with separate licences & keys for each on the same machine?

Can windows 10 home premium do software raid, specifically striped drives? My present OS cannot.

I am looking to maybe using windows 10 for entertainment like gaming so can use directx12, and also linux for everything else. Apparently linux does not need to be reinstalled if you change a lot of hardware. Windows obviously does.

Thanks

:)

ianmozzy, Jul 2, 2016

2. Using Windows 8 Pro Retail Licence Key To Change From Windows 10 Home To Windows 10 Professional Upgrade

Hello Andre

Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately you may have misunderstood my first question.

To reiterate.

Laptop to keep - Windows 7 Home Premium Installed (Refurbish Licence)

Laptop to scrap - Windows 8 Pro Installed (Retail Licence)

What will I need to do to end up with Windows 10 Professional installed on the laptop I want to keep?

I.e. the one that currently has Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it.

If "No product key required for either laptop." Does that mean I can use the Windows 10 Professional ISO downloaded for the laptop I plan to scrap and simply install it on the other laptop I want to keep?

You also say the Windows 10 version would be of the same licence type which in my case is Retail

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Can you please confirm that as a Retail version does NOT require a previous qualifying version of Windows, I could perform a clean install of Windows 10 Professional onto a blank hard drive?

ThoughtPad, Jul 2, 2016
  3. Holy_Geek Win User
    Licence Rights and transferring from device to device

As already known in windows 7 that the retail licence can be transferred to any device but the OEM licence is not transferable. So, my question is that,
    is it same for windows 10 also that OEM licence cannot be transferred to other devices or after device upgrades (motherboard change, etc) and also about the retail version of windows 10?
    And
    Please confirm the licencing rights and transferring of licences after free upgrade from windows 10 and also after buying retail windows 10.

Holy_Geek, Jul 2, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

There is no Windows 10 home premium - only Home and Pro. 7 Home Premium will get you an upgrade to 10 Home. There is a table here with the differences...

You are right - if you upgrade your OEM 7 Home Premium it is tied to that device (same as if you don't upgrade it actually).

If you buy a retail license for 10 you can move it between machines and you can certainly use it to dual boot with 7 on the same machine as you would have 2 instances of Windows and 2 licenses.

Any version of windows 10 can use Storage Spaces (which allows striping). Storage Spaces Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I'm not sure you are correct about re-installing being required after changing hardware. Generally Windows will not need re-installing if you change hardware - it will try to install the drivers it needs on the first boot on the new hardware. You can then install any others that are required. You would need to activate it again but with a retail key this will not be an issue.

lx07, Jul 2, 2016
  5. ianmozzy Win User
    Thanks for the reply.
    A reinstall is probably the best way for things to run smoothly.
    Ah so 'Windows 10 home' is the one I should be looking at. Storage spaces seems useful.

ianmozzy, Jul 2, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Worth considering is the free upgrade stops on 29th of this month. It would probably be worth making a backup of your existing system and doing an upgrade. This will register that device on Microsoft servers. You can then restore back to 7 and if you decide at any point in the future to upgrade it will be free.

If you make big changes then you'll need to get a license (most likely) but if you kept the same PC and wanted 10 in future it would be a shame to have to pay for it for no reason.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Licence questions about home premium retail version - Similar Threads - Licence questions home

2. Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10: Hi, my question is that I have Windows 10 Home OEM on my laptop but I want to switch to Windows 10 Pro Retail licensed. Do I need to reinstall Windows so I can use my retail licensed key or can I just put the key on the Settings>Activation>Change product key? Also, I do not...
  3. Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10: Hi, my question is that I have Windows 10 Home OEM on my laptop but I want to switch to Windows 10 Pro Retail licensed. Do I need to reinstall Windows so I can use my retail licensed key or can I just put the key on the Settings>Activation>Change product key? Also, I do not...
  4. Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Volume Licence Vs Retail Licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Volume Licence Vs Retail Licence: I want to know how volume licence differ from you other retail licenses and why it is overpriced other than retail license. And i need to know the detailed peculiarities of volume licence over retail license...
  6. Retail version question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Retail version question: Just bought a retail version of windows 10 pro from Newegg. Is there anyway to know what version or build that my flash drive has on it? submitted by /u/ztbcs [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gaaeqd/retail_version_question/
  7. Question about digital licences

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about digital licences: I was wondering how digital licences work in this scenario: PC1 has W10 activated with microsoft account (digital licence tied to account) with harware info from PC1 on the server. First question: Can I remove the microsoft account used to activate Windows? If so, what...
  8. About Windows 10 Home Premium

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About Windows 10 Home Premium: I install Windows in this System 5 days ago. Problem is that from yesterday Old windows folder is see today. I don't want to keep this old windows file. Now what can I do to solve that problem?...
  9. Some question about Retail key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Some question about Retail key: 1. We buy a new computer. When turned on it, we found that the system was automatically activated. We don’t know why like that. Can we continue to use it? 2. There are some OEM key sold on the internet. Before I heard that if purchasing the OEM system with the motherboard,...
  10. windows 10 home premium retail version key required?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 home premium retail version key required?: I downloaded and burnt the win 10 installation iso file to dvd, if I want to make it like my win 8.1 retail disc do I need to purchase a retail key, for the windows 10? If so how do I go about it? Thanks! *Smile 11233