Windows 10: License and activiation

Discus and support License and activiation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a new laptop and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I had to return the the PC because a piece of hardware had failed. Best Buy provided me a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PhilVice, Feb 6, 2020.

1. PhilVice Win User

License and activiation

I purchased a new laptop and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I had to return the the PC because a piece of hardware had failed. Best Buy provided me a brand new laptop. I need to install Windows 10 Pro on the new machine, but I do not have a product key. How can I get a product key for the new install. The old laptop was reset to factory.

:)

PhilVice, Feb 6, 2020
  2. An Hong Win User

Original windows license in BIOS won't activiate Windows 10

I bought a Samsung galaxy book 10.6. a friend installed a different version of windows on it to make it slimmer. then I wanted to reinstall the system, and downloaded a tool from microsoft to install the full version. now it pops up the license expiration
    notice. I thought there should be a license key that came with the original windows. I used the command to find it

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

and I copied the license key that showed up to the activation window. however, it says the key is invalid. does that have anything to do with the windows being a different version? or the key was for windows 8 or something.... what can I do to activiate
    the windows? thanks.

An Hong, Feb 6, 2020
  3. windows activiation

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Feb 6, 2020
  4. License and activiation

3 questions about the activation stored in the Microsoft account (MSA)

The simple question is:

• Is there a way to see the activiation that is stored in the Microsoft account (MSA)?

I cannot find it.

The tricky question is:

• How does it work if I have a couple of Windows 10 licenses (digital entitlement) that I use with one single Microsoft account?

This is really an issue for me, as I wouldn't know how to “select” which computer has which license and how to manage those licenses…

The complicated question is:

• Is it possible to transfer the activiation from one PC to the other?

I ask this because I have a Pro license on one PC that wouldn't require it (Home would be sufficient) and another that has a Home license where I would really be happy to use the Pro version of Windows 10 on.

Thanks in advance,

wu330250

Windows User 330250, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

License and activiation

1. License and activiation - Similar Threads - License activiation

2. how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...: how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having Windows home license https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-we-transfer-our-windows-pro-license-from/870479b3-aa84-4006-9b90-8de51b666476
  3. how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...: how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having Windows home license https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-we-transfer-our-windows-pro-license-from/870479b3-aa84-4006-9b90-8de51b666476
  4. Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...: Hi there.I have a couple of questions regarding moving my system disk to new hardware and I have not been able to find clear answers in the jungle of Microsoft licensing.Background:My pc is currenly running windows 10 pro but is too old to run windows 11 pro. It is originaly...
  5. Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...: Hi there.I have a couple of questions regarding moving my system disk to new hardware and I have not been able to find clear answers in the jungle of Microsoft licensing.Background:My pc is currenly running windows 10 pro but is too old to run windows 11 pro. It is originaly...
  6. Moving system disk to new hardware, linking a license to ms account when using a domain...

7. convert a volume license installed windows 10 to retail windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    convert a volume license installed windows 10 to retail windows 10: I bought a brand new computer off of amazon. The new system was supposed to come with windows. But apparently is was done with a volume license server key. Windows now says it is expired.I'd like to put a retail key in place. How can I do this? Can this be done without...
  8. convert a volume license installed windows 10 to retail windows 10

convert a volume license installed windows 10 to retail windows 10: I bought a brand new computer off of amazon. The new system was supposed to come with windows. But apparently is was done with a volume license server key. Windows now says it is expired.I'd like to put a retail key in place. How can I do this? Can this be done without...
  9. Original windows license in BIOS won't activiate Windows 10

Original windows license in BIOS won't activiate Windows 10: I bought a Samsung galaxy book 10.6. a friend installed a different version of windows on it to make it slimmer. then I wanted to reinstall the system, and downloaded a tool from microsoft to install the full version. now it pops up the license expiration notice. I thought...
  10. If my Windows 10 is OEM but activiated with a digital license linked to my account, can I...

If my Windows 10 is OEM but activiated with a digital license linked to my account, can I...: I had someone assemble a PC for me a while ago, and I'm planning on upgrading my mobo and cpu. It seems Windows 10 Pro was downloaded from an OEM DVD (I have the package with the dvd, and it says 'Windows 10 for OEM software'), and I know that if it's OEM then I'll have to...